Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really don't want to worry about degredation but it's hard seeing this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At what point do i ask tesla about it? would they even care about the results of a 3rd party app?

When you loose 30 percent of your range. Till then they aren’t going to do anything about it...

I would ask myself: does it take me where I need to go? If the answer is yes, and I suspect it is, and it’s not more than 30 percent, I wouldn’t worry about it since there isn’t anything that can be done.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I would ask myself: does it take me where I need to go? If the answer is yes, and I suspect it is, and it’s not more than 30 percent, I wouldn’t worry about it since there isn’t anything that can be done.

Good point. I just sold my 2018 Model 3 to Vroom. The car didn't have any degradation to speak of, but Vroom didn't ask what the reported range was so the OP can sell his car if the range now concerns him. It won't affect the value, unless selling privately where the buyer is savvy.

Anyone have the link to compare your Tesla battery with the actual fleet average? I feel like there was a TeslaFi tool but I don’t have the link anymore.
I don’t remember it either since I’ve started using Stats, it’s all right there in the app.

and per above, reached a Baker’s Dozen on the trolley disagrees. Thanks guys! And yet still no cases made... shocking.

ß

• Funny
Reactions: Pilot1226
Teslafi has a good view of this.
20200930_143702.jpg

The degradation curve of lithium batteries starts somewhat steep, but then it plateaus after what I would refer to as the break in period. This is a known characteristic and it’s perfectly normal.

Besides that, this could be related to the cells becoming more out of balance from spending most of their life below 80%. By not charging the battery to full, this prevents the pack from ‘top balancing,’ which only occurs somewhere between 90-100%. This effectively reduces the packs capacity until it can spend the time to properly balance the cells. Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla does not use a ‘top buffer’ on their battery management system, which basically means the battery will spend a lot more time getting to 100% because it is top balancing the cells. For this reason, the batteries full capacity can be impacted by rarely allowing the charge to reach 100%.

Having said that, I would rather have a pack spend most of its time slightly out of balance, rather than spending excessive amounts of time at a high state of charge just to get the highest number possible.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
An update - I am back up to about 302 over the last 2 weeks or so.
I have started charging every other day when i am between 20%-40% and charge to around 80%. Then push it up to 100% once every 4 - 6 weeks. It looks like the battery balancing and calibration forum thread posted earlier is working.
Ill report back in a few weeks on where it peaks out.

Attachments

• FusionCharts (1).jpg
    FusionCharts (1).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 59
Remember don’t let it sit long term at 100%, get in and drive it.

also, remember for all - this is a display calibration thing. If you run down to 0% there is likely some energy in the pack. (As a good practice don’t run down to 0 anyway)

also, remember for all - this is a display calibration thing. If you run down to 0% there is likely some energy in the pack.

I have that same opinion. If the calibration is off by, let's say, 20 miles.....that would mean you would likely still have 20 miles in the battery after it shows zero miles of range. So, the energy is there, it's just not showing it all. Of course, there will be some actual degradation, but not as drastic as the display sometimes suggests.

Reactions: Pilot1226
FWIW I just noticed that for the MYP fleet statistics, Teslafi includes both MYPs with 19" wheels and the 315 mile starting range average along with the 21" wheels with 290 mile starting average. This means that the 21" percentile numbers could be quite a bit higher if only compared with only 21" stats. The fleet average is also higher with the 19" data in the mix.

Model 3 and Model Y share the same battery pack. I think we're going to learn little new about the Model Y's battery pack.

Here's a good recent video and summary from a car journalist, blogger, Youtuber, ...etc... who beats on his Model 3.

Summary:
- Try to maintain the battery
- Drive very aggressively, kill tires <2k miles on the track
- Lots of Supercharging
- Lots of miles (60k)
- 74kWh to 68.5kWh = ~7.5% degradation over 1 year

All of this is battery degradation stuff is pretty stale. Bjorn has done similar videos as have others.

MY range was updated with the last update. I think it went up by another 10 miles. Mine shows 282 now which is over 5% degradation @ 6k miles. Hopefully it will stay here for a bit.

Guess that still better than the advertised 280 miles I bought it at, but not sure how many of those 20 extra miles we got with updates are real miles or just EPA BS.