Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really wish I bought the PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry that happened to you!

If it makes you feel any better, I've had XPEL PPF clear bra since day one of owning my car, and a similar incident happened to me on the 5 freeway but with a garbage can lid that flew onto the freeway. It hit me square in the front bumper and caused a small dent into both the PPF and bumper. Repair cost was too excessive so I just chose to hide the damage behind The Bandit front license plate holder.

PPF is great for everyday chips, bugs, and stones, but for larger debris like what you've encountered I'm not sure if anything can protect you.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
PPF bra.jpg My 1 year old XPEL bra will be replaced under warranty next week. It caught many chips and a million bugs and looks good except for one small rock mark (a 1/3 inch crescent). Installer says the film took the brunt of the damage.

Ouch that's sucks! Can you post a picture of the damage?

I got PPF for the full front and it def pays off because I had a small incident just like yours but with a small piece of a blown tire that was kicked up by another car. The PPF took the scoff and a detailer was able to buff off from PPF.

Sometimes no way to dodge road stuff. Sorry that happened. I hit a flying, tumbling hardcover book that fell off someone's vehicle (open truck bed or whatever) and saw it fly off and tumble end over end, of course, coming at me. It was like watching a slow motion movie. Like you, there was traffic on both sides so no where to go. Hoped for the best but my Avalon ended up having the book stuck in my grill, doing some damage. We got both of our cars Xpelled to reduce damage to it. I will say it has helped and saved us money. The Model S has encountered unavoidable road debris, a wooden fence post and more recently a utility truck that didn't know how to pull out straight and clear parked vehicles before turning the wheel.

That road cone probably left over by some highway repair crew and definitely shouldn't have been still on the road surface or suppose it could have fallen off a utilty truck.

Why is it being replaced under warranty?
The film has a 10 year warranty, Xpel Ultimate. The installer will install at no charge and handle the warranty claim. My film does have some stress cracks in one spot, It also should not have delaminated at the point of the rock chip. The film actually performed well in all other areas. It debugs well and is self-healing. I will definitely do at least the bumper in my Model Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbrady3324