Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

• Yes, I have paint chips in the lower corners of my rear doors

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • No paint chips

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been experimenting (and failing) trying to retrofit M3 and universal mud flaps behind my front wheels to protect the rear doors on my MY. My next move is custom-cut flaps that looks similar to RallyArmor.

I've already noticed small chips in the rear lower corners of both of my back doors, which is upsetting. I didn't think of installing PPF there when I got my entire front-end done and ceramic coated the entire car, but if my mud flap experiments all end in failure, I may need to go back and have the lower door ceramic removed, and PPF installed along the door bottom quarter and ceramic re-applied, which really seems like this shouldn't happen, and will cost me.

I'm hoping enough MY owners with this issue will accelerate either Tesla or 3rd parties to manufacture proper fitting mud flaps for at least the front wheels.

I've been experimenting (and failing) trying to retrofit M3 and universal mud flaps behind my front wheels to protect the rear doors on my MY. My next move is custom-cut flaps that looks similar to RallyArmor.

I've already noticed small chips in the rear lower corners of both of my back doors, which is upsetting. I didn't think of installing PPF there when I got my entire front-end done and ceramic coated the entire car, but if my mud flap experiments all end in failure, I may need to go back and have the lower door ceramic removed, and PPF installed along the door bottom quarter and ceramic re-applied, which really seems like this shouldn't happen, and will cost me.

I'm hoping enough MY owners with this issue will accelerate either Tesla or 3rd parties to manufacture proper fitting mud flaps for at least the front wheels.

OP - I am in the EXACT same boat as you. Didn't think I would need the doors PPF'd considering I had done ceramic coating on the entire car along w/ PPF on the front. Went to look for MUD Flaps only to find out there aren't any!

I have full PPF installed at 27mi. I saw a Ben Sullins youtube video that said Model Y owners were getting rock chips on the rear doors because the design of the front of the car. The front tires spit out debris that hits the back doors.

the plastic rocker panel in front of the rear tire has road rash from the rocks. I don’t think there’s anything we can do to save that except front mud flaps

When I did my PPF I had them do the lower portion of the doors, on the rear doors the PPF curves UP about 6 more inches. Until Tesla offers some nice fitting mud flaps that should protect the sides of my Y. I couldn't VOTE since I don't have ANY paint chips in that area because I had PPF installed. BTW that added $350 to the FULL front end PPF I had installed and he included door edge protection, turns out that has already protected my doors a few times.

When I did my PPF I had them do the lower portion of the doors, on the rear doors the PPF curves UP about 6 more inches. Until Tesla offers some nice fitting mud flaps that should protect the sides of my Y. I couldn't VOTE since I don't have ANY paint chips in that area because I had PPF installed. BTW that added $350 to the FULL front end PPF I had installed and he included door edge protection, turns out that has already protected my doors a few times.

I’m jealous. At this point I think my options are to leave it alone expecting it to get worse and more noticeable, try and have paint correction done and PPF or totally repaint the door and add PPF. The latter being probably to expensive right now.

MY PUP with 4K miles after car wash in photos below. Rear doors and trim are messed up. The MY needs mud flaps immediately.

Attachments

• CCCBAC49-2150-49EA-BB0E-C77B455056AF.jpeg
    CCCBAC49-2150-49EA-BB0E-C77B455056AF.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 627
  • 57901C01-154C-48FE-9BBD-6FAF9F70E3A8.jpeg
    57901C01-154C-48FE-9BBD-6FAF9F70E3A8.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 516
MY PUP with 4K miles after car wash in photos below. Rear doors and trim are messed up. The MY needs mud flaps immediately.

Mine looks the same. I ended up getting partial PPF with PPF on the lower part of both doors. They buffed out the roughness in the clear coat in that area and touched up some of the larger spots before putting on the PPF. His paint guy said it would cost around $800 to repaint both doors so I opted out of that. It looks good enough for me now and I have peace of mind that it won’t get worse. As for the plastic piece being all marred up you can use a magic eraser on it.

Reactions: escape pod
Never followed this up, but I wound up around 300 miles on the car installing Xpel rocker panel PPF

I cut about a 9" x 10" for each side and installed it myself. Cleaned the area really well with 91% alcohol, and followed guidance I found on Xpel's website and it came out perfect. I now have over 3800 miles, lot of highway driving, coastal driving (sandy roads), and chances for road rash on the rear doors, and so far, no issues with adhesion, bubbles, chips, etc. Before installation, I had 4-5 very small chips that were repaired with the factory Tesla touch-up kit, and after the repairs cured, I installed the PPF. Quite expensive for the roll of PPF, but it was still less than having a shop do it (already had the entire front Xpel PPF). If it gets beat up, I'll just cut 2 new pieces and reinstall.

I fabricated some temporary front end mud flaps until a real solution is available. I bought universal mud flaps from advance auto parts, trimmed them to follow MY wheel well lines, and mounted with trim screws and 3m trim adhesive tape at the top.

I couldn’t wait for a professional solution. Buffalo road salt would destroy my paint this winter without these installed.

4B013E85-AB65-4D2A-9D6E-12C12016F8E3.jpeg B73B35AB-867B-42F1-82A8-2B19ECEFD9E5.jpeg 7918BCCC-D3DF-4720-B0E3-D3660904F20E.jpeg

Reactions: Barrygold
I fabricated some temporary front end mud flaps until a real solution is available. I bought universal mud flaps from advance auto parts, trimmed them to follow MY wheel well lines, and mounted with trim screws and 3m trim adhesive tape at the top.

I couldn’t wait for a professional solution. Buffalo road salt would destroy my paint this winter without these installed.

View attachment 607542 View attachment 607544 View attachment 607545
Looks good! Don’t know if you are aware of the Canadian company that is the only one selling Model Y Mudflaps. I ordered them yesterday, a bit pricey at $100 but people pay double the price for rallyarmor. It’s either that or rock chips

Reactions: escape pod
Thank you. Yes I looked at the Canadian company but decided to make my own until there is a molded solution that looks factory. The Canadian ones are probably worth the price to avoid the extra labor of measuring and cutting but mine cost less than $20 if you don’t value your time :) and rallyarmor are ugly.

How can Tesla suffer from this? My MB has zero issue. Is Tesla paint so weak?

It's less about the paint and more about the lack of protection from the spray of debris from the front tires, especially the PUPs with the +45 offset and sticky rubber. The bottom outer edge of the tire is outside of the wheel well, so the road spray travels back along the side of the car and hits the flare of the rear wheel arch. I can't think of any paints that can withstand that kind of abuse, hence coming up with the PPF solution. Tesla really needs to step up and provide front mud flaps at a minimum, or the PPF panel like most other luxury cars with rear fender flares, or better yet...BOTH!!