Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door won’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My drivers side rear door won’t open. I have tried to open from inside & out however it is not coming off the catch. I have tried to apply a bit of force but worried about applying anymore.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks

This is a recurring safety issue as in the event of an accident the rear seat occupants cannot get out.

Another design flaw, as tesla didn't bother to fit a manual mechanical release lever to enable egress.

Check out the issue here....

What is really mad and annoying is there is a release cable inside the door, but it is inaccessible unless the door card trim is removed.

Which needs the door open.

Someone designed the mechanics of the door and someone else designed the interior. This is where agile product management is poop sometimes.

This is a recurring safety issue as in the event of an accident the rear seat occupants cannot get out.

Another design flaw, as tesla didn't bother to fit a manual mechanical release lever to enable egress.

Check out the issue here....
*UPDATE* Apparently there IS a manual release....buried at the base of the door... but requires tools to access it!

In the event of an emergency no way would anyone trapped in the rear of the car get out (child possibly), or anyone get it open from outside to aid rescue. I would not risk putting my child in the rear that's for sure.

Crazy!

Reactions: JS77
*UPDATE* Apparently there IS a manual release....buried at the base of the door... but requires tools to access it!

In the event of an emergency no way would anyone trapped in the rear of the car get out (child possibly), or anyone get it open from outside to aid rescue. I would not risk putting my child in the rear that's for sure.

Crazy!
Very useful to know exactly where it is in an emergency. Note to self, keep a screwdriver inside the car!

More importantly however, some people use saliva to clean their seats :eek:

Had a similar fail on model x too...
My drivers door refused to open from the outside (door actuator fail) and remained broken for a good oh 6 weeks, whilst “waiting for parts”. Nincompoops at Park Royal didn’t realise there was a quite well known (off the shelf) service kit available....oh yeah. Well done lads.

I wonder if permanently removing the flap is an option, possibly with an extra loop to get to the chord? If its the same on the Model 3, then the removeable insert is going to act as a cover/deterrent for the release.
This is what I was thinking, removing the cover, and then putting the rubber mat over it again. This is all of course if TM3 has it - will have a look over the later/ weekend

I wonder if permanently removing the flap is an option, possibly with an extra loop to get to the chord? If its the same on the Model 3, then the removeable insert is going to act as a cover/deterrent for the release.

This is definitely not safe for people in the back. I'm going to be taking out the tabs and replacing the rubber if it's the same in the model 3 this weekend.

Just had a quick look in mine. Drivers side at least has no hidden panel under the rubber mat as per that YouTube vid. So without major disassembly doesn’t appear to be any way to open the rear door unless you have power.
That's not good. A flawed design that has not even considered the safety of occupants in the rear in the event of an emergency.

I certainly wouldn't want children of mine in the rear.

I don't know how it is possible for cars to pass safety testing in this condition.

Why they even bothered fitting electrically operated door locks rather than the simplicity of mechanically operated ones is beyond me.

Tech for tech's sake rather than practicality and simplicity.

Many years ago, a friend's car caught fire, whilst he was driving with his wife and three kids in the back. The first he knew about it was when a car behind started honking his horn and flashing his lights, to get him to pull over (I guess the smoke was going under the car and out the back). As soon as he stopped the car, smoke started coming through the dashboard area.

He barely had time to get his kids out of the back of the car before the whole car became a fireball. I cannot begin to imagine what things would be like if something similar happened and the back doors failed to open.

Its not good at all. The only saving grace is that AFAIK, BEV fires (to date anyway) tend to be a lot slower than and ICE fire. After all in an ICE you have a very high pressure rail spraying an explosive fuel/air mixture. Lithium fires, while spectacular, tend to develop more slowly.

You'd still want the bloody doors to open though!

I certainly wouldn't want children of mine in the rear.
If you have kids in the back of any car you absolutely would enable a child lock to stop them falling out, in most vehicles this is mechanical, so it wouldn't operate the door in the case of a crash whether the (redundant) power was available or not.

Parents teach their kids to climb into the front if they need to exit in an emergency. Taught that to both mine years ago before getting a Tesla.

This isn't a safety issue, which is why Tesla passes the stringent requirements for the EU.