Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors and hitting your head

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else hit their head upon closing the rear doors with the button? is there a sensor at the bottom of the door? I have had to hit the button then duck and quickly get out of the way of the doors.

just my 2cents, should have that safety feature where you can close it with the rear button but not actually close the door unless it senses nothing below the door.

No inward facing sensor. Physical obstruction will stop the door but the scalp isn’t a tough enough tool for that.
There is the Outside button on the rear of the door itself. Best to only use the Inside button when seated.
Close All with the fob after everyone has dispersed is a good way to avoid collisions.

The better ½ has had it happen a couple times. a side note - MANY other cars / manufacturers - after the warning alarm goes off? It might take a couple seconds before door actuates ... giving slow folks more time to get the heck out of the way.

Reactions: X-pilot
I've almost knocked out a couple family members this way when using the "close all" feature. I've now adopted the "ALL CLEAR" warning method as well :).

The problem is passengers aren't always aware of how the buttons work. I've had one passenger accidentally push the button on the pillar on their way in and have it knock out the person following them. I heard the door beep and panicked trying to find a button to stop all door movement but my passenger's head did the work.

Forgot to add, it definitely senses if there's something directly underneath the door and will refuse to close. You get a warning beep and something on the screen if I recall, but people moving in and out of the area seem to trip it up.

No inward facing sensor. Physical obstruction will stop the door but the scalp isn’t a tough enough tool for that.
There is the Outside button on the rear of the door itself. Best to only use the Inside button when seated.
Close All with the fob after everyone has dispersed is a good way to avoid collisions.

This is incorrect. They equipped Model X with inner fwd sensors around fall of 2017. The sensors will prevents FWD from closing if someone is standing under the door.

This is incorrect. They equipped Model X with inner fwd sensors around fall of 2017. The sensors will prevents FWD from closing if someone is standing under the door.
I wonder if this is something that can be retrofitted?

When it detects an object below the door that keeps it from closing what does the center console display? Does it show the hazard on the underside of the door or on the outside of the door?

If it's the outside of the door then perhaps they are just wiring it up to the outside sensor so either of them trip. This might mean you just need the sensor and a short jumper harness. If it's on the inside (underside) then the logic is back at the MCU and it could not be upgraded, at least not easily.

When it detects an object below the door that keeps it from closing what does the center console display? Does it show the hazard on the underside of the door or on the outside of the door?

If it's the outside of the door then perhaps they are just wiring it up to the outside sensor so either of them trip. This might mean you just need the sensor and a short jumper harness. If it's on the inside (underside) then the logic is back at the MCU and it could not be upgraded, at least not easily.

I don't know what the car shows since I do not have them.

The ultrasonic sensor is on the inside of the door (behind the speaker grill). I have not heard of anyone retrofitting. Reach out to your SC and let us know what they say.

Technically, I believe it can be retrofitted. However, I don't know if they offer the retrofit for charge. To elaborate, the FWDs in my July 2017 X would come down on my head when I got it, but after I had an unrelated problem with my FWD sensors and they were replaced under warranty, it stopped doing that. It plays a loud beep and does not close when I hit the button while standing under them. IIRC, it says "obstacle detected" or "obstruction detected" on at least one of the screens when it makes that beep, but it does NOT show a detection on the underside of the open FWD in the MCU visualization like it does to the sides and top of the vehicle when the doors are closed.

I was curious so I tried it out. Here is what pops up on the center screen.
593F8F86-C5A4-420B-8EC4-571AA5233CC7.jpeg

I have a march 2017 build and it doesnt detect my big ass head under it. I have a service appointment for the sensors on them since they open and bang into everything, i will ask service if they can look into adding or if there is an existing indoor sensor.

Reactions: VikH