Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-ended @ 70+ mph in my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Elon stated that AP1 would find you on private property, was that before or after the MobileEye breakup?
Before, at the AP1 (and dual motor) launch. If you next comment is "oh, then Elon has an excuse", then don't bother, unless Tesla starts accepting the same excuses, for example if someone buys a P100D and then loses their job and cannot make payments, does covers the rest of the payments saying "it's ok, you didn't know you were going to have a break up with your employer, enjoy your P100D".

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Before, at the AP1 (and dual motor) launch. If you next comment is "oh, then Elon has an excuse", then don't bother, unless Tesla starts accepting the same excuses, for example if someone buys a P100D and then loses their job and cannot make payments, does covers the rest of the payments saying "it's ok, you didn't know you were going to have a break up with your employer, enjoy your P100D".

You read my mind!

Your comparison is not applicable. If Tesla doesn’t have access to their code for legal reasons, I can see why they couldn’t do it. But Tesla should give some money back to help “make it right” for customers like you.

You are drinking too much of Elon's coolaid. Elon said the cars have sensors which are FSD capable , just like my P85D has 691hp capable motors, of course limited by battery and the rest of the drivetrain to 463hp (which took Tesla a couple of years to admit, while dancing around how EV horsepower is special, different). All of FSD cars are parts on them which are FSD capable, and they will remain forever capable and never doing even half of what he promised. My AP1 car was also supposed to find me anywhere on private property, while all it does and will ever do is drive up to 40 ft in a straight line while I hold a dead-man-switch making sure the car doesn't hit something. Welcome to Elon world - he sells a lot of vaporware which never materializes.
You, apparently, never saw the advanced summons videos. How big of a short position do you have and why do you still own a Tesla?
I suspect they never anticipated (read that as programmed for) a ramming by a following car. NOTE: Neither Tesla nor Elon said their cars are currently full self driving. Maybe you'd be more comfortable in a Prius.

This is a case for an addition to collision avoidance software -- when rear end collision threat becomes apparent, have car accelerate forward or swerve to avoid if way is clear to do so. I hope Elon is following.
That's great until the car thinks that "left" is clear and it ends up being oncoming traffic. The system isn't perfect, far from. So until it is I'd settle for a rear impact with a difference in speed of 10-20mph in most situations than a difference of 80-120mph in a typical head-on.

That's great until the car thinks that "left" is clear and it ends up being oncoming traffic. The system isn't perfect, far from. So until it is I'd settle for a rear impact with a difference in speed of 10-20mph in most situations than a difference of 80-120mph in a typical head-on.
Or you know, just accelerate in the lane it's already in.

You read my mind!

Your comparison is not applicable. If Tesla doesn’t have access to their code for legal reasons, I can see why they couldn’t do it. But Tesla should give some money back to help “make it right” for customers like you.
Of course it is (applicable). After the break up, they don't have access to ME code for legal reasons, after firing, the ex-employee doesn't have access to their ex-employers money (or paychecks), also for legal reasons.

That said, your suggestion that this was the reason is incorrect. "Find you anywhere on private property" requires way more sensors than AP1 has, so no, breakup with MobileEye is not the reason for not delivering on it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
You, apparently, never saw the advanced summons videos.
Really? You saw advanced summon on AP1? Point me to the videos please, and more importantly - when is it showing up on my car (the car for which I gave Elon over $100K which he said will find me anywhere on private property)?

How big of a short position do you have
I have no positions in TSLA.

why do you still own a Tesla?
I got into Tesla cars because I believed Elon about things that we now know were all BS and will never come (691hp for P85D, blind spot warning for AP1, find you anywhere on private property AP1, everyone will get same of better Tesla as a loaner when servicing, etc, etc). I still own two because they lost sufficient value that it's not worth selling at this time, plus more importantly there is no viable EV alternative just yet (they are slowly rolling in, Audi eTron coming to the US this month).

I suspect they never anticipated (read that as programmed for) a ramming by a following car. NOTE: Neither Tesla nor Elon said their cars are currently full self driving.
If you're counting on Tesla to anticipate every possible situation that can occur on the road, you'll be waiting a very, very, long time for that full self driving. I guess you can use that as an excuse next year or in 2 years when Elon's BS about having 1M robo taxis did not materialize.

Maybe you'd be more comfortable in a Prius.
I did drive one for few weeks (a week at a time, once for 1 month) and not for me. For one it still needs gasoline (and it starts up the ICE when getting on the car in the morning, stinking up the garage) but also because it has a Model 3 style instrument cluster (speedometer, etc) in the middle instead of in front of the driver, which never grew on me (I got used to looking there, but hated it every time).

Last edited:
Of course it is (applicable). After the break up, they don't have access to ME code for legal reasons, after firing, the ex-employee doesn't have access to their ex-employers money (or paychecks), also for legal reasons.

That said, your suggestion that this was the reason is incorrect. "Find you anywhere on private property" requires way more sensors than AP1 has, so no, breakup with MobileEye is not the reason for not delivering on it.

Is summon THAT much of a make or break for you?

I try not to buy something on a promise.

Is summon THAT much of a make or break for you?
Summon is just one thing, a good example of what Elon promises vs. reality. I'm a lot more miffed over lack of reliable blind spot monitoring (Elon's brain fart that it can be done with parking sensors instead of proven radar based BSM, who knew parking sensors don't work well at highways speeds, eh?) and the fact that I paid $25K extra for 691hp upgrade, yet my car would need a 50% power boost to produce that (and yes, I heard Elon's excuse how the motors are capable, just not the battery or electronics sold with it - I guess just like current cars are totally FSD capable, but will never actually self drive).

I try not to buy something on a promise.
It took 2 Tesla for me to learn this - never trust Elon's promises, only pay for what you can see on delivery day. Of course things like the deteriorating parts and service situation, or deteriorating software (browser dead, new crappy and slower UI) are impossible to foresee on delivery day.

Last edited:
It took 2 Tesla for me to learn this - never trust Elon's promises, only pay for what you can see on delivery day. Of course things like the deteriorating parts and service situation are impossible to foresee on delivery day.

Never trust ANYONE’s promises. Especially if you think the competition is going to be so much better. Already the real world range of the competition is coming up short.