Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended After Installing Mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used State Farm for almost 40 years and am (obviously) happy with them. Their estimates for auto claims are consistently low, but in my experience they're always quick and painless to adjust upwards once the real numbers come in.
Yep, I've been with SF about as long... We had a deer strike in January with our CUV and their initial estimate was $1,900 for which they automaticaly sent me a check. It wound up costing a little over $12K... It was explained to me that part of the rationale for doing so is that some people will just take the initial check sent to them by SF and decide not to fix the vehicle for whatever reason.

Reactions: DVM17
The driver is personally responsible for all your damage, independantly of whether he/she is insured or not.
Yes, except that it makes no difference if the other driver doesn't have enough assets to go after. It's situations like this why we have coverage for "uninsured and underinsured" motorists. It's cheap and if you have to use it (because someone else is at fault) then it doesn't increase your premiums. Some insurance policies include it and with some it is an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: afadeev and DVM17
I am really dreading the time between sending the demand letter to the woman that hit me and the small claims court date. I feel like I should be on high alert at home since they live close-by, their group of friends could make the bad decision to stop by.

The driver is personally responsible for all your damage, independantly of whether he/she is insured or not.
Unfortunately, that legal claim doesn't add up to a hill of beans if the driver has no assets you could easily and inexpensively encumber.
A "young girl in a Jeep", per OP's description, is the poster child (no pun intended) for just such a "claim without recourse".

Yes, except that it makes no difference if the other driver doesn't have enough assets to go after. It's situations like this why we have coverage for "uninsured and underinsured" motorists. It's cheap and if you have to use it (because someone else is at fault) then it doesn't increase your premiums. Some insurance policies include it and with some it is an option.
[...] I am really dreading the time between sending the demand letter to the woman that hit me and the small claims court date.

For that very reason - do you have any reason to believe that you will be able to collect on any award from the small claims court?
If not, why bother?

a

For that very reason - do you have any reason to believe that you will be able to collect on any award from the small claims court?
If not, why bother?

The only reason I am pursuing this is because she has insurance and they will end up paying the diminished value. (if awarded in court) It is just unfortunate that I have to go after her and not her insurance directly, otherwise I would. The law is quite confusing in that regard, sue the person that hit me so that their insurance is forced to pay me.

If I were seeking payment directly from her, I don't think that I would ever get anything.