Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended M3 [is this totaled?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming total loss, I’m definitely gonna argue for my fair share of comp including compensating for cost of window tinting and taxes I’ve paid on the vehicle. Would Carvana be a good starting point for fair value of car?
Likely insurance companies subscribe to a service that checks for similar cars recently sold or for sale nearby to get a comparable used car value, with adjustments based on features (probably not needed since Teslas do not have many possible feature combinations), mileage, and condition before the insurance loss event. Then sales/use taxes + prorated license fees are added to make the offer.

WHY would you file through your insurance? Maybe I missed it was the driver uninsured? Your rates WILL GO UP. I called my agent and he told me not to even mention it to my insurance. A truck driver had insurance I'd think.
May depend on the state -- in many states, if your insurance company subrogates the claim to a 100% at-fault driver's insurance company, your rates are not affected. Your insurance company's lawyers are probably better than you at breaking through stonewalls set up by the at-fault driver's insurance company.

Truck drivers can be uninsured.

WHY would you file through your insurance? Maybe I missed it was the driver uninsured? Your rates WILL GO UP. I called my agent and he told me not to even mention it to my insurance. A truck driver had insurance I'd think.

Also don't sit around waiting...it will be 6 months plus I bet if they can repair the car.
From what I understand is that if the other driver is at fault, your insurance can take care of your repair and will follow up with the other driver's insurance to get the money from them; i.e., it saves you the hassle to deal with the other driver's insurance. Also, since the other driver is at fault, your insurance rates will not go up. Am I missing something here?

1000% Always get diminished value if it isn't your insurance. If it's your own then your policy will just go up.

My wife's M3 got hit by a delivery truck in August. 6k damage to door and ripped off side mirror. Didn't seem that much. Was able to drive while waiting for parts but took 5 months to get it back.

The insurance company "doesn't offer" diminished value but was told by the Commercial Insurance rep "but if you present" for DV we will have to consider. I paid $600 for a "professional" report that included photos from accident, values of the car, the CarFax that showed the car/vin was in an accident....about a 30 page report.

Asked for $9600 based on report and within 48 hours after their appraiser reviewed settled for $7900. The M3 LRP cost us $39,900 when we got it so I was good with that. We will keep hers for a loooooong time anyway.
Door was "torn" and lots unseen damaged on inside as well as trims and the window with had a deep gouge. Original estimate was 4k but when they opened up the door they had to add more parts.

A couple photos from the dash cam.

View attachment 918369View attachment 918370View attachment 918371

View attachment 918375
View attachment 918372
Interesting, glad it was only just a mirror and door. Was the truck making an evasive maneuver to avoid rear-ending the car in front of it? I'll guess not, since it looks like vehicles had been slowing at least 6+ vehicles in front across all lanes. More likely not thinking before switching into the HOV lane.

Interesting, glad it was only just a mirror and door. Was the truck making an evasive maneuver to avoid rear-ending the car in front of it? I'll guess not, since it looks like vehicles had been slowing at least 6+ vehicles in front across all lanes. More likely not thinking before switching into the HOV lane.

I think he was on his phone and didn't see traffic stopping so instead of rear ending him he just changed lanes. Since he crossed double line he was in the wrong. He admitted but the police officer was still very interested in seeing the dash cam.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
tesla collision center got back to me today, car is totaled. Repair would’ve been north of 30k
Sorry to hear about the loss, but at the same time glad to hear that I honestly dont think it would have been the same if repaired, and amazing that it was decided upon that quickly i have heard them hum and haw for 3-5weeks+ to decide that. So now the $50k question what you going to replace it with?

tesla collision center got back to me today, car is totaled. Repair would’ve been north of 30k
That doesn't surprise me at all. I just got my Model 3 back today after it got rear ended by a contractor's van back in October. Rear end damage was a little less severe than what you posted in your original post but fortunately, there was no front end damage.

Mine wasn't written off and it took almost 5 months to repair -- most of that time was "waiting for parts". Final bill was CDN$27119.15. Thankfully, since it was 100% the other driver's fault, I paid nothing (not even my deductible).

It was a long, agonizing 5 months stuck driving a rental Kia Soul that I wouldn't wish on anyone.