Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended Monday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why why why does the reverse camera not also record with the other cameras?! It would be a slam dunk case with that footage - makes no sense to me that camera which is arguably the most important in rear end collisions does not record.

I think the big issue here is probably most of us have learned to drive without applying the brake until the last 6 or 8 feet before we stop. At least that is my problem and I always look in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind me is closing in to fast. With the regentative braking we slow down so quickly the brakes don't get used much and therefore our brake lights and third brake light don't come on to warn everyone behind us we are stopping and/or slowing down like our ICE cars.

I know the brake lights come on when regen. but not sure about the third light. Either way in this case the driver told me and the officer he seen us brake, but he said we slammed brakes on... which obvi we did not. didn't matter he needs to leave himself room and control his truck. Dash cam in my pocket if it becomes an issue.

I had a rear end hit also looked very similar to your, except it pushed me into the car in front so I had front end damage also... TOTALED by insurance company. Had they not totaled it the repair center said 4 to 5 months for repair.View attachment 419245View attachment 419246

Wow that is very similar, sorry to hear that.... hope your ok as well though. I would think total but have to wait and see, shop has it now....

Why why why does the reverse camera not also record with the other cameras?! It would be a slam dunk case with that footage - makes no sense to me that camera which is arguably the most important in rear end collisions does not record.

I think the footage is pretty clear who was at fault but I agree the rear camera would help, especially if one can tell if the driver was distracted from the footage. Elon? Tesla? anyone reviewing the forums?

I think the big issue here is probably most of us have learned to drive without applying the brake until the last 6 or 8 feet before we stop. At least that is my problem and I always look in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind me is closing in to fast. With the regentative braking we slow down so quickly the brakes don't get used much and therefore our brake lights and third brake light don't come on to warn everyone behind us we are stopping and/or slowing down like our ICE cars.

When the car applies regenerative braking it automatically puts the brake lights on to warn drivers even if you do not touch the brake peddle, watch the display and you can see them go on.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I’m going through this right now actually and yes, you should’ve contacted your insurance immediately vs waiting on theirs. You’ll have to pay your deductible upfront if you file the claim through yours but you for sure want to get it started immediately. Mine has been in for repairs for a month now (ugh) I truly hate having to drive an ICE again. Tesla has completely changed my driving experience and it took a couple of weeks to even feel comfortable again in an ICE because it’s a completely different driving experience as all of you or most of you here know.

Part of my issue was though the the originally Tesla approved body shop sat on it for 2.5 weeks without touching it!!! I was pissed and had it towed to the other shop who has now done a whole hell of a lot more in less time than the other shop in a greater period of time. Anyways, I believe they have most of my parts at the moment but they are having to wait for some of them such as the seat belt and the airbag because they are out of stock or something. According to my body shop today they should be available for my MS the first week of July :’( which means that I won’t have my MS on my trip to Florida which I was truly looking forward to as my first long distance trip (roughly 1,000 miles one way) in my Tesla.

Anyways, good luck on your repairs. Mine didn’t look nearly that bad and is $19,000 worth of damage.

Also go after them for absolutely everything you can, diminishes value, if it’s only a couple months old and is a total loss hopefully they’ll just buy you a new car without fuss but I’m sure you’ll end up having a lot of headaches over the entire process.

I truly do feel your pain at the moment. Good luck!

Yes already done, I agree with you, pain to drive ICE, I do most of the driving and we never take my wifes car anymore, the kids of course love the M3 especially the fart noise of course... I have to re-learn even though it is only been 2 months... I will report back if total or repair and my struggles I know I am going to face with negotiation...

My advice is to get a lawyer involved when there is ANY bodily injury involved. This is based on experience, unfortunately. Your insurance will press you for a settlement in their benefit (not necessarily yours) at some point, and the lawyer can more aggressively go after the truck company.

When the car applies regenerative braking it automatically puts the brake lights on to warn drivers even if you do not touch the brake peddle, watch the display and you can see them go on.

Just for a bit of technical discussion on this... brake lights equals car slowing down rapidly, or brake pedal pressed.... Regen does not explicitly mean brake light activation. During regen, brake light activation is determined by...no one knows...BUT...I and other suspect that it is based on, at least in part by rate of deceleration.

Using the brake light animation as the guide you can see this.

Using reflection from vehicle behind you in stop and go traffic you can empirically see this.

Reactions: OPRCE
This feature barely came out half year ago, takes time especially have to redo with AP3.

I don't understand how they can flip on all the other cameras but it's too difficult to do it with reverse camera. We can toggle it on and off at will when we drive, so I cannot fathom how or why it wouldn't be possible to record what can be viewed on the screen when driving. It's illogical and without any explanation from Tesla it makes zero sense. The front and rear view cameras would be by far the most helpful in the majority of accidents especially when you get rear ended.

This Is a great example of why TACC or EAP is a huge safety feature. If every car and truck had it nearly all rear-end accidents would be eliminated, certainly this one would have in a world where that truck had TACC/ EAP engaged.

Reactions: Ken43
I don't understand how they can flip on all the other cameras but it's too difficult to do it with reverse camera. We can toggle it on and off at will when we drive, so I cannot fathom how or why it wouldn't be possible to record what can be viewed on the screen when driving. It's illogical and without any explanation from Tesla it makes zero sense. The front and rear view cameras would be by far the most helpful in the majority of accidents especially when you get rear ended.
I suspect they don’t want more than 3 recording due to limited processing resources. Total speculation on my part, but not unreasonable. As far as which 3 cameras to use: The side repeater cameras offer some rear views and a great view of the blind spots. Accidents involving blind spots are harder to prove fault than rear ended accidents. Having the repeater cameras recoding solves this problem. That’s my 2 cents.

Reactions: KenC
so the car is absolutely showing the cars directly behind you on the screen when driving. Is that radar only and no camera? They say is has 360 degree visibility and the dash readout shows it does. Just not sure if it is all camera or some is radar only.