Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Barely ten months old and here we are. Got rear ended yesterday, hopefully it’s just cosmetic and no structural damage/s. Sent pictures to a Tesla approved body shop since the nearest local Tesla collision center is about 40 miles away and the earliest they can see my car is about a month from now. So waiting for the body shop to give me an estimate.😭😭
IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2191.jpeg

Hope everyone is okay. Unfortunately, the damage won't be just cosmetic. There is an aluminum reinforcement bar behind the rear bumper. Although, pretty strong, there is a good chance that brace has been deformed. It's a good thing because that is what it's supposed to do. It will just cost more $$$ to fix. Bottom of the hatch also seems to have taken a slight beating. That dent will need to be pulled, bondo'd and resprayed.

Reactions: slvervper99
Hope everyone is okay. Unfortunately, the damage won't be just cosmetic. There is an aluminum reinforcement bar behind the rear bumper. Although, pretty strong, there is a good chance that brace has been deformed. It's a good thing because that is what it's supposed to do. It will just cost more $$$ to fix. Bottom of the hatch also seems to have taken a slight beating. That dent will need to be pulled, bondo'd and resprayed.
Yep, I figured that it's more than likely just cosmetic. I sent the pictures to the body shop and so far, bumper, pain , labor etc. We're looking at $2k, but I'm sure it'll go up once they remove the bumper and yes, I also saw the bottom of the hatch, not sure if the body shop saw it from pictures alone which I assume they did since they're the experts.

How fast was the car going that hit you? It's possible the support did NOT get deformed.
Photos aren't clear about the damage to the hatch.
I would say maybe 15 or less but definitely no more than 20 since we were at 30 mph zone and just starting from red to green, his airbag did not pop through, at least if I remember correctly. Here’s the hatch damage…slightly bent inward with some paint damage.
IMG_2191.jpeg

Reactions: Pianewman
I would say maybe 15 or less but definitely no more than 20 since we were at 30 mph zone and just starting from red to green, his airbag did not pop through, at least if I remember correctly. Here’s the hatch damage…slightly bent inward with some paint damage.
View attachment 976683
Hello,

I was curious how this worked out for you? I assume the $2K online estimate of the body shop expanded once they had the car? Would you mind sharing how much this ultimately cost you?

Thanks!

My guess is was not much more than $2k, I had a very similar level of damage on a Model S - (I was stopped on the freeway due to heavy traffic, Hyundai behind me wasn't paying attention and braked too late). The hatch they just bondo and repaint, they won't replace the entire hatch for that little bit of damage - I had very similar amount of damage on the hatch.

I had replaced the reinforcement bar with a hitch (OEM Tesla for S / X), and that thing is a tank, not sure if the Y's hitch is similarly built but while the bumper cover was severly damaged like yours, and needed complete replacement, the hitch didn't look like it had a scratch on it, I was even able to use it with a bike carrier and two bikes without issue, but I had it replaced anyways just in case. My total repair cost was $2,500 including a new hitch, new bumper cover, one new USS sensor, and repairing / repatining the hatch. Oh and $85 to repair the trunk latch that didn't fail until 3 months after the accident. The hitch was I think $300, the bar would likely be cheaper so even if you have to replace the bar it's not that much (it's not a sophisticated part by any means).

Barely ten months old and here we are. Got rear ended yesterday, hopefully it’s just cosmetic and no structural damage/s. Sent pictures to a Tesla approved body shop since the nearest local Tesla collision center is about 40 miles away and the earliest they can see my car is about a month from now. So waiting for the body shop to give me an estimate.😭😭View attachment 976212View attachment 976213
did you check sentry camera capture? you should easily be able to see the license plate and call the police
claim against their insurance

nasty to drive away from such a thing by the other driver...