Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear facing convertable carseat for Model S, Help please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow parents! I have a little one soon to outgrow his infant car seat, and we are on the market for a convertible rear facing car seat. We currently have the Nuna Pipa installed behind the passenger seat which fits but we do sacrifice leg room. Are there any carseats that fit nicely rear facing ? I am willing to sacrifice leg room as I am only 5'2" but the hubby is 5'10". I read through all the forum posts and saw the Diono, and Clek recommended for forward facing , but can anyone help on rear facing ? I like the Nuna Rava, but I am wondering if it would fit ? TIA !

Because of the angle that a rear facing seat needs to maintain you're going to be out of luck with regard to legroom. Any rear facing seat is going to have the same problem (I've looked for years). My youngest has a few more months before he's at the height limit and I can turn him around. Can't wait to get that room back.

We have a Chicco Nextfit and there's no problem with leg room. I am 5'9" and don't sit weirdly close or anything.

I should add we only have 1 kid so we keep him in the middle position. That seems to help a lot.
IMG_20170911_202329.jpg

Concur with NextFit. Had it several years and love it. Recommend to others, including one who found it on ToysRus.com Cyber Monday for only $179 with free shipping!

One note for any rear-facing car seat: seat back leather can stretch so we use a pad between seat and seat back to spread the impact + often loosen straps to seat overnight. NextFit has easy adjustment button on pulley strap to make loosening/tightening a breeze.

Final thought: thanks for using a rear-facing car seat because they are much safer for kids' relatively heavy heads and fragile necks. NextFit is large enough to stay rear-facing to 40 pounds. In response to "I want to see out the front" complaints, we sold the "special astronaut" cradle seat and ability to see out the big back window mommy and daddy can't do.

We have a Chicco Nextfit and there's no problem with leg room. I am 5'9" and don't sit weirdly close or anything.

I should add we only have 1 kid so we keep him in the middle position. That seems to help a lot.
View attachment 263236

I have the Next Fit Zip (trust me, get the Zip version for the eventual diaper blowout!) rear facing behind the passenger seat. It does limit the ability of the passenger to move the seat all the way back but I’ve only had issues with fairly tall passengers.

We also use the NextFit in the center position. If we had two, we'd just sacrifice the legroom (my wife and I are both 6' and the NextFit will eat about 6" of our legroom). Nothing beats safety, even comfort. Our daughter is 39", so maybe it will be a moot point as I believe 44" is height limit for rear. She'll never hit the weight limit.

I have the Dione Radian...I used it in the middle rear facing. It fit perfectly. Its now forward facing. Only gripe that I have is that for forward facing that it does not lean back to much so on long trips my kids head is dangling down.

For those of you using the NextFit, check the manual once your kid is toddler age. The weight limit for using the NextFit rear facing using the LATCH system is 30 or 35 pounds (can't remember which), so your kid may hit that weight before you have turned her around to front facing. After that you have to secure it with a seat belt.

I have 3 diono radio rxt across the back currently forward facing.

When my twins were rear facing we had my older child forward facing behind the driver and the two rear facing in middle and passenger respectively.

Getting the loop under the passenger seat rail for the car seat to anchor too was difficult but you only have to do that once.

If you get a diono be sure to buy the angle adjuster wedge for rear facing to take less of the front seat space. If you were local I’d give you one of my 4 for free but they’re only $10 on amazon.

EC7ABB60-69FC-4485-916C-9B383A3DB3BF.jpeg