Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch won't close in hot weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my car outside in 98 degree heat yesterday. When I tried to close the hatch with the key fob or the button on the hatch it closed, waited a second, and then opened again, as if something was blocking it. I could pull the hatch down by hand, and it latched properly.

Later, when it had cooled off, it worked fine.

Could this be heat-related, i.e. something expanding and no longer fitting properly? Something else? Anything I can do before trekking to a SC?

December 2016 HW2 90D

Here's what I do:
If the temperature is above 96 degrees, I start at the back of the car, and I walk around the car clockwise twice. When I get to the frunk I stop and I make one complete turn counterclockwise before I finish the other half of the full trip around the car. I perform this twice. That was part 1. Proceeding to Part 2. Standing next to the driver side door, I rest my left hand on top of my head and rub my head in a circle while I use my right hand pat my stomach for two minutes. The bonus in this is, I can see my reflection in the door glass.
If the temperature is below 93 degrees I walk around the neighborhood putting little flags in the common grounds to show where people don't clean up after their dog. A new shipment of little flags with the VW logo on them are due to arrive any day now.
For those folks that continued to read this ridiculous banter, we have a law that prevents the temperature to rest at 94 or 95 degrees - except on weekends.
Oh, my S hatch always closes.

Sorry, @Akikiki , but I am having trouble understanding why my straightforward question about an actual problem would elicit a mocking response. As befits a high-altitude bird, if there was humor there it went over my head.

For the record, I did contact Service, and they confirmed that slightly tweaking the tension on the four rubber bumpers on the hatch would solve the problem, and that my conjecture about expansion in high heat was correct. I did as instructed and haven't had the problem since. There is apparently a fairly narrow window between there being too much dampening by the bumpers, which can cause the reversal, and too little, which can cause the closed hatch to rattle.

I left my car outside in 98 degree heat yesterday. When I tried to close the hatch with the key fob or the button on the hatch it closed, waited a second, and then opened again, as if something was blocking it. I could pull the hatch down by hand, and it latched properly.

Later, when it had cooled off, it worked fine.

Could this be heat-related, i.e. something expanding and no longer fitting properly? Someothing else? Anything I can do before trekking to a SC?

December 2016 HW2 90D
I had this exact problem on a hot day just last weekend, it was probably the hottest day here since last summer (and the first time this problem has reoccurred since last year)

When I first had the problem last year, I discovered that a slight twist of some of the rubber bumpers allowed the hatch to close properly - so yes @Tangible as you mention in your second post, it seems to be a heat / adjustment issue.

Reactions: Tangible
Didn't mean to upset you Tangible. Was not my intent to mock you. Just being playful and having a little fun.

Careful about twisting those bumpers down too far. You won't see it immediately until you are driving with the windows open or the sunroof open, but the bumpers too loose can cause the liftgate to buffet effect inside the car as air pumps out the back.