Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Impact PPF AND Rockers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - we recently had the full front of our Y PPF'd along with the rear impact area. I've seen a few suggestions though of covering the lower doors as well. That said, has anyone done both?

It seems like the rear impact piece comes up higher and offers more protection in that space than the standard rocker kit would, so I'm wondering if it would be overkill to add the rocker piece or if my setup + front mudflaps would suffice for that area.

If you already have the rear impact section covered along with mudlaps, then you are probably ok. At most, maybe just do the lower front doors and the little strip behind the rear wheels. Curious what other's think though.

Just to update, I bought the pre-cut rocker pieces to attempt to do them myself and after comparing them, the rear impact pieces come up significantly higher on the door. That being the case, I'm not sure that either of them are a perfect solution.

Just to update, I bought the pre-cut rocker pieces to attempt to do them myself and after comparing them, the rear impact pieces come up significantly higher on the door. That being the case, I'm not sure that either of them are a perfect solution.
This is what I realized when comparing aftermarket rocker ppf kits that cover the lower door below the body crease vs the rear rocker ppf sold by Tesla which goes a bit above the crease. I assume the Tesla PPF is more targeted towards the actual impact area and I've read most delivery centers in PNW are delivering with the rear rocker ppf, so I may just stick with that.
1627930738144.png
1627930755230.png

My rear door corners took a sever beating on my MY last winter in my travels in snow country. This is the errosion experienced after less than 1k miles in snow with gravel on the paved roads near Mt Hood last winter.
2020 MY right door chips.jpg
2020 MY left door chips.jpg

I got the aftermarket mudflaps as soon as they were available and the Tesla fronts soon after but the damage had already been done. I asked my SC to look at it and they just said that his is expected wear and tear. I got the touch up paint kit and the PPF from Tesla but it did not look like the paint would cover this much area and the paint erosion was all they way into the primer already above the crease line near the rear door..
So last week I got Alset in PDX to apply some PPF on the lower doors with a swoosh up to the top of the wheel arches.
MY with PPF swoosh.jpg

Much better, but I will be looking at adding another layer near the door corners to protect the PPF over this upcoming winter.