Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Number Plate De-frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Dead easy and looks a lot neater with just a standard plastic plate stuck on with VHB strips, so no screws on show. At the rear I just pulled the "Tesla.com" bit until it unclipped, slid the metal reg plate out then undid the two screws that fasten the plastic frame to the car. A standard plate can then just be fixed with VHB strips (excuse the filthy car - weather's been dire here recently|):

Rear plate.JPG

For the front plate I did the same thing, but there are two plastic frames, one the same as the one at the back, the other a curved bit that is shaped to match the bodywork. I left the latter in place and just stuck a standard plate to it with VHB strips:

Front plate.JPG

The only holes left are in the moulded plastic bit at the front, which isn't part of the bodywork and has other punched holes in it as well, and the two screw fixings that are in the depression in the rear bodywork, that take the self-tapping screws that hold the normal frame in place. I didn't bother sealing the latter up as it seemed pretty clear they weren't sealed up when the original screws were in them, anyway. They are tucked up fairly high behind the plate, in a depression pressed into the rear, and under the lip of the boot, so I doubt that water gets behind there. If worried about it a bit of electrical tape over the holes before fitting the new plate would seal them up well enough.

Yes. Dead easy and looks a lot neater with just a standard plastic plate stuck on with VHB strips, so no screws on show. At the rear I just pulled the "Tesla.com" bit until it unclipped, slid the metal reg plate out then undid the two screws that fasten the plastic frame to the car. A standard plate can then just be fixed with VHB strips (excuse the filthy car - weather's been dire here recently|):

View attachment 489149

For the front plate I did the same thing, but there are two plastic frames, one the same as the one at the back, the other a curved bit that is shaped to match the bodywork. I left the latter in place and just stuck a standard plate to it with VHB strips:

View attachment 489150

with this, did you use the same plates the car comes with or have others made up?

I've done the back so far, huge improvement. My stock plate has some minor scaring and ground in grub from where the frame was rubbing it, so you might want to check that before deciding whether to re-use or get new?

I used a couple of bits of masking tape to help me line it up btw - you don't want it on squint!

I'll get around to the front sometime, same as the rest of my backlog of minor accessory fitting.

I've done the back so far, huge improvement. My stock plate has some minor scaring and ground in grub from where the frame was rubbing it, so you might want to check that before deciding whether to re-use or get new?

I used a couple of bits of masking tape to help me line it up btw - you don't want it on squint!

I'll get around to the front sometime, same as the rest of my backlog of minor accessory fitting.
Vinyl on the front looks lovely

Great idea with the Velcro. Regarding sticky tape, if one were compelled to return the car with the original hideous fittings at the end of a lease, how would you get the sticky tape off the body?

Great idea with the Velcro. Regarding sticky tape, if one were compelled to return the car with the original hideous fittings at the end of a lease, how would you get the sticky tape off the body?
Hair dryer and patience should work. Would a lease care about this? I can see them complaining about vinyl, but a frame removal should go unnoticed? Never leased so I've no idea how anal they are...

I replaced my first vinyl number plate, which I failed to put on without creases. My second attempt worked, but it took me two hours of fiddly work, with the assistance of a hair drier, to peel the original one off first.