Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat belt warning with car seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s starting to annoy me, whenever my kids are in their car seats in back my dash constantly warns me they don’t have their seatbelts on.

I’ve searched and apparently there is no solution for this except deal with it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm guessing you're using the latch system. You can just buckle the seatbelts under the carseat, that way the seatbelts are always buckled, and the car will never give you the error message.

Another option is to buy seatbelt extenders, and just snap them into the seatbelt slots (if the car seats are narrow enough). You're not actually using the extender for anything, but to trick the car into thinking the seatbelt is buckled.

Reactions: .jg.
I reported this issue as a bug fix(please report it as well). The seat belt warning is way too sensitive on weight. The warning comes on with no kids in the car and just the booster car seat sitting there (no latched). It’s annoying.

Also buckling the seat belt is a work around, not a fix. Plus it gets annoying for the kids to have to unbuckle it before getting into the car when they are getting in.

I have the exact same issue here too.

It's actually even worse because when he isn't in the car (booster seat alone) the warning is on....
and even when he is in the car, the booster seat is too wide and he cant buckle into the side latch. He has to use the middle seat latch, so its still on.

I feel like there should be a way to acknowledge and dismiss the warning on the UI.

I know when it happened with my Model 3, I was presented with an option to disable the warning because there's a child seat installed (icon that looks like child seat). When it happens in my Model S, I never seen that icon. It's possible that this option doesn't exist in Model S for some reason.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Tesla allegedly pushed a "Seatbelt card" function with Firmware 9 that lets you disable these alarms when a carseat is installed with LATCH, but I can't seem to find it in my late 2017 Model X. Anyone have it? Know how to find it?
When the red non-buckled seatbelt icon is presented, click on it, it turns white and turns into a carseat.

Works on the 3, I don't have rear-seat belt sensors on the S, so can't confirm it.

I reported this issue as a bug fix(please report it as well). The seat belt warning is way too sensitive on weight. The warning comes on with no kids in the car and just the booster car seat sitting there (no latched). It’s annoying.

Also buckling the seat belt is a work around, not a fix. Plus it gets annoying for the kids to have to unbuckle it before getting into the car when they are getting in.
Try this seat belt extension - easier for kids to buckle in and no need to unplug it anytime
51EeB1fjh9L._SL1024_.jpg
51EeB1fjh9L._SL1024_.jpg