Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat pass through

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the two pictures shown as examples in this thread, no armrest or cup holders. If the skies fit on top of the armrest in the backseat, that puts the tips of the skies at about eye level of front seat passengers and bouncing around with no support.

My Lexus IS has this with cheap cup holders, storage and your skies lay flat onto the front arm rest. I personally would trade this for fold down seats even if they were less safe.

Lexus IS Cupholders.jpg

My Lexus IS has this with cheap cup holders, storage and your skies lay flat onto the front arm rest. I personally would trade this for fold down seats even if they were less safe.

View attachment 275529
So in order to use your rear seat cup holders and armrest you have to fold down so you have noise and temperature differential from the trunk? And WHAT is that seat material? Is that premium or what?

All the cars referenced in this thread w/ an opening and optionally a sock... do they also have seats that fold down?

I had similar in the BMW, but the the seats did not fold down.

Many (but not all) of the use cases for the pass through ski sock are handled by the split seats folding down.

I had this feature on my 2010 Acura TL. I liked it for storing essential items that can be reached by passengers, but out of the way. The Ski thing makes sense too.

My Acura's rear seats DID NOT fold down. Just the "pass through" folded down for access. It was quite a bummer they didn't fold down.

Can't you just fold down the 40% side of the back seat? Skis fit, don't sit on seat material, don't have to be wrestled into a sock and you still have four seats (left and middle rear seats).

I'm pretty sure 60% is not enough for two teenagers.

It wouldn't be enough for two smaller kids under 4'5" either because they have to sit on a booster cushion here and you won't fit two of those in 60% either.

The primary reason for the lack of a pass through in the rear seats is for the Tesla Network they mention in the Master Plan part. 2. It’s the same reason they don’t have a physical button for the frunk or the glovebox. When your vehicle is part of the Tesla Network/ridesharing service, you don’t want people taking rides in your Model 3 to be able to access your registration/insurance cards, frunk/trunk items etc. This is why there is no passthrough. Elon has tweeted that a roof rack will be available for the Model 3, so you’ll be able to transport skis/snowboards via that option. I know the passthrough is easier, but just wouldn’t work with the Tesla Network service.

All the cars referenced in this thread w/ an opening and optionally a sock... do they also have seats that fold down?

I had similar in the BMW, but the the seats did not fold down.

Many (but not all) of the use cases for the pass through ski sock are handled by the split seats folding down.

Most at least German cars do have folding down in addition to ski passthrough, yes. The passthrough is not meant to replace folding, it is meant to allow two passengers in the rear while still carrying skis.

It is IMO rare for a car to have only ski passthrough and no folding. Most BMW's certainly have both, at least as an option (folding may be optional in some markets of course). I think only cabriolet/roadsters as well as some very high-end sedans - think Audi A8, BMW 7 with electric backseats - that don't have folding, but do have a passthrough...

I've had a ski pass-through (with sock and without) + folding in many cars. The only car where I only had a passthrough but no folding was an Audi A8, that packs all its electronics behind the rear seat... and perhaps some droptop....

The primary reason for the lack of a pass through in the rear seats is for the Tesla Network they mention in the Master Plan part. 2. It’s the same reason they don’t have a physical button for the frunk or the glovebox. When your vehicle is part of the Tesla Network/ridesharing service, you don’t want people taking rides in your Model 3 to be able to access your registration/insurance cards, frunk/trunk items etc. This is why there is no passthrough. Elon has tweeted that a roof rack will be available for the Model 3, so you’ll be able to transport skis/snowboards via that option. I know the passthrough is easier, but just wouldn’t work with the Tesla Network service.

This is not correct. The seats can be folded from inside, making any benefit of extra access through a ski passthrough moot as a security issue.

Reactions: loganthefirst

Except for the fact that the rear seats can be folded down and there is no locking mechanism for them.