Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tire always gets low first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange problem. My passenger rear OEM tire always seems Ro slowly lose pressure faster than the others.

After filled to 42, after few weeks that one is 36 when the others are ~40.

Replaced the whole tire and still same issue.

Thoughts?

My guess: cracked wheel. Especially if you're running 21's.

I experienced this same issue (very slow leak in the same tire) and had the tire shop check for a leak numerous times. They never found anything inspecting visually so I pressed them to dunk it during a scheduled rotation. They threw it in their dunk tank and sho 'nuff... tiny bubbles coming from the inside bead. Unmounted the tire and you could see the small crack in the wheel right at the inside bead.

This is a relatively common issue, especially on the 21's as there's just not enough sidewall to protect the wheel from pot holes and such. The wheel takes the brunt of the impact and can crack if it hits just right. This is one of several reasons I run 19's exclusively. Haven't had an issue yet across several cars (aside from one manufacturing defect on a new set of aftermarket wheels).

ETA: Just saw this was in the Model Y section rather than the Model S section. I guess it still applies because physics but it's not as common as these vehicles aren't quite as heavy as the S/X so the problem is more common with more force impacting the wheels. The larger the wheel, the shorter the sidewall the less impact protection the tire offers the wheel. Same story across the board, basically.

I also am noticing (on my MYLR received last month !) that one tire (left rear) goes low fairly quickly whereas the others seem to hold air very well. Not sure what to do. Local nearby tire shop would probably check it out for $10-20, worth that not to drive to Tesla dealer (40 min each way). And I can imagine dealer saying tire issues aren't covered by warranty. I'll check the valve. I think not having a good seal on the tire bead is a common cause, but less likely on new rims. Wonder what luck with warranty if the rim is cracked ?

I also am noticing (on my MYLR received last month !) that one tire (left rear) goes low fairly quickly whereas the others seem to hold air very well. Not sure what to do. Local nearby tire shop would probably check it out for $10-20, worth that not to drive to Tesla dealer (40 min each way). And I can imagine dealer saying tire issues aren't covered by warranty. I'll check the valve. I think not having a good seal on the tire bead is a common cause, but less likely on new rims. Wonder what luck with warranty if the rim is cracked ?
Tire issues are NOT covered by the Tesla warranty. I'm not sure why many people think that is the case. It's no different from any other OEM. And unless you could prove that a wheel crack was due to a manufacturing defect, I think you're SOL there as well.

I actually had my second 'nail in tire' incident on Monday (the first was on the NYS Thruway driving to my parents). I happened to have a mobile visit scheduled for an underbody inspection after some unintentional off-roading earlier this month and was hoping he could plug it as a side job, but no go. I was going to just remove the tire and bring it to my local shop to be patched but my lug wrench seems to have disappeared. So I ended up calling Roadside Assistance and they removed and patched it - but it wasn't cheap!