Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tire size on 20" rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally took off my stock rims which have winter tires on and put on the Tsportlines I bought last year.

Tsportlines have the stock Continentals. I don't like the look in the rear, its as if tire should be a bit wider. I guess since the rim is 10" compared to the stock 9.5" the tire looks a bit stretched for my tastes. I will keep it like this until Tires need to be replaced.

My question is can I put a 285 45 20 tire instead? Will I have rubbing issues. I think this size tire might look better.

So I finally took off my stock rims which have winter tires on and put on the Tsportlines I bought last year.

Tsportlines have the stock Continentals. I don't like the look in the rear, its as if tire should be a bit wider. I guess since the rim is 10" compared to the stock 9.5" the tire looks a bit stretched for my tastes. I will keep it like this until Tires need to be replaced.

My question is can I put a 285 45 20 tire instead? Will I have rubbing issues. I think this size tire might look better.

Fitment won’t be an issue, 285 will fit fine in the rear. The 22” wheels use a 285/35-22 and they’re within .2” of each other in diameter and the same width.

On your 20x10” rims you should indeed use wider tyres for the best looks.

I mounted 285/35-20 on my rear 10” rims.

You should mind the offset value (ET) of the rims, however. Mine have ET 35, which is fine. (I tested ET 40, and that didn't work.)

On your 20x10” rims you should indeed use wider tyres for the best looks.

I mounted 285/35-20 on my rear 10” rims.

You should mind the offset value (ET) of the rims, however. Mine have ET 35, which is fine. (I tested ET 40, and that didn't work.)

Well that sucks then... Just checked Tsportline website they state the rear wheels as ET 40.
Guess it won't fit then.

Would putting a spacer work? Does that lower or raise ET. Not sure how it works

Spacers lower the offset (ET) value. So 5mm (1/4") spacers could fix that.
Then again my Model S has the P+ suspension, with slightly different geometry from other versions.
You would have to try fitting the 285 tyres on your rims and car to be 100% sure.

Or go with 275/40-20, just to be sure. That seems to be the size that TSportline preferably mounts, anyhow.

Then again my Model S has the P+ suspension, with slightly different geometry from other versions.

You’re in the X forum...the S came with a maximum rear width of 9.0 and used a stock offset of 40mm w/ 265 tires. The X came stock with a rear width of 10.0 and came with a stock offset of +35 with 285 tires, so not exactly apples to apples. With that said, I just realized the OP said he had a 9.5" stock rear wheel...

@HugoBoss the X's didn't come with a stock 20x9.5 wheel. They had a 19x8.5, but the 20's and 22's are 9.0 in the front and 10.0 in the rear. They should be the same as your tsportlines, but your Tsportlines will have a +40 rear offset vs a +35 stock. If you're getting a stretching look, it may just be a combination of how the tire sits along with the wheel design.

I would recommend you double check the specs of the wheels and tires. Another option is to get the same spec, but a blockier tire type or even one with larger tread widths. As an example, the stock contis were designed with a tread width of 8.9" where as the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus has a 9.1" tread width despite both being 275/45-20 tires. That extra width would be equivelant to 5mm, or a 280 tire. The Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 is 9.4" and equivelant to 12mm extra on tread width. *All specs are according to tire rack.

If you're still dead set on going to a 285, what I do is I use Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets to get some visuals. After you input your data, click on comparison table on the bottom and it will give you a readout of the changes. For what you're propsing..

Comparing a 275/45/20x10, +35mm vs a 285/45/20x10, +40mm, direct from that site:
Suspension: Tire is 10 mm closer to suspension components. Acceptable for most cars"
Fenders: The same
Wheelwells: Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 5 mm. Acceptable for most cars

Comparing that same setup to OEM 285/35/22x10, +35mm:
Suspension: Tire is 5 mm closer to suspension components. Acceptable for most cars
Fenders: 100% clear (leaves even more room than OE)
Wheelwells: Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 3 mm. Almost no difference

Reactions: PaulusdB
@Yinn the model X stock wheel size is now 9x20 front and 9.5x20 rear. Rears used to be 10x20.

Some X models had 255 front tire with with 275 rear. They now have 265 front with 275 rear on 9.5x20.

That's why I think with the 10x20 it will look more even with 285.

When I put winter tires on my stock rims I put the stock size 265 front 275 rear. It looks even to me. With the stock Conti's the rear Tsportline 10" looks smaller to me. Doesn't look as meaty as the front 265. That's why I'm thinking 285 will even out the look. It just looks smaller then it should.

Anyone with Tsportline rims have an opinion on this? Compared to the front tires does it just look a bit off?

@Yinn the model X stock wheel size is now 9x20 front and 9.5x20 rear. Rears used to be 10x20.

Some X models had 255 front tire with with 275 rear. They now have 265 front with 275 rear on 9.5x20.

That's why I think with the 10x20 it will look more even with 285.

When I put winter tires on my stock rims I put the stock size 265 front 275 rear. It looks even to me. With the stock Conti's the rear Tsportline 10" looks smaller to me. Doesn't look as meaty as the front 265. That's why I'm thinking 285 will even out the look. It just looks smaller then it should.

Anyone with Tsportline rims have an opinion on this? Compared to the front tires does it just look a bit off?

Learn something new..did they change the offset too? Or is it still +35?

@Yinn Still +35 front and back

I sent an email to Tsportline asking if they knew if 285 would fit, waiting for their answer.

I still have time, I don't need tires yet. I just took off stock rim with winter tire and put on Tsportlines with stock Conti's that's why I noticed and am Just wondering. I took my X in to service centre today to have my suspension looked at again. Also asked them. Technician wasn't sure either and says he will look into it.

@Yinn yes I have noticed some tires do look meatier than others. I'm hoping that more manufacturers will make tires in our size. Not much choice out there. Especially for winter tires.