Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Tire Wear on XP90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too recently discovered (and not pleased) that due to the negative camber on the rear alignment the tires wear out on the inside edge faster than normal. I have a P90D Model X with 16k miles on the odometer in 9 months since new (with moderate to conservative driving, and yes, some occasional fast launch mode acceleration). I have Michelin 275/45R20 110Y Latitude Sport 3 tires and they have been properly inflated since delivery. Since the front tires are a different size (255/45R20 105Y), I can't rotate them. The tire manufacture documentation states that these tires are only rated for 20,000 miles. I'm going in for an annual service appointment early next week and will probably have an alignment job done. I'm also noting that the automatic lowering setting can cause premature tire wear. Mine was set to go low at speeds above 50 mph. Last summer we took a trip from WA to NE and back - about 4200 miles. Today I changed it to only lower at speeds above 80 mph to see if this helps with the next set of rear tires. Thanks for the info and discussion on this topic.View attachment 212104 View attachment 212105
Looking at the tire spec on TireRack for those, they are considered summer tires. The tread wear rating is only 220, which is pretty low compared to comparable all-season tires. Yes, your wear is very uneven, but regardless those tires are pretty soft to begin with.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Model X 90D&autoModClar=255/45-20F 275/45-20R

I'm curious for anyone who's had to replace tires did you follow up with an alignment and if so was it off at all? Wondering if this is pure camber or a combination of the two seeing that we have a mixture of folks with different wear levels with relatively common auto adjustment.

My S I always drive on low and have 22k miles in 13 months and the tires look perfect. I may have the 19" wheels less prone to inner wear but I can't see any difference.

I'm curious for anyone who's had to replace tires did you follow up with an alignment and if so was it off at all? Wondering if this is pure camber or a combination of the two seeing that we have a mixture of folks with different wear levels with relatively common auto adjustment.

My S I always drive on low and have 22k miles in 13 months and the tires look perfect. I may have the 19" wheels less prone to inner wear but I can't see any difference.

Since I happened to be @ service yesterday for my 12v battery replacement they did the normal inspection stuff and put this in my service invoice and thought I'd share to my previous post with actual measurements.

Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner)
LF: 6/32 6/32 6/32
RF: 6/32 6/32 6/32
LR: 7/32 7/32 7/32
RR: 7/32 7/32 7/32

Just had our annual at 16,000 miles. One of the items they had to do was replace one tire that had a nail/screw in it, in location that could not be fixed. They recommended that I replace all the tires at $375 each...

-Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner)
LF: 4/32 6/32 2/32
RF: 4/32 6/32 2/32
LR: 8/32 8/32 8/32 (New)
RR: 5/32 6/32 3/32

Wow! I was so shocked that I declined, as I wanted to research this a bit. Felt that 16k is just too few miles to be putting new tires on... And ours is only a 60D (for what it's worth).

This is so not what I expected. Anyone hear of any improvements to this (I've read about keeping the suspension on High) or other, better wearing tires or ??? I cannot imagine spending $2,000 per year for tires! There has to be a better answer...

Just had our annual at 16,000 miles. One of the items they had to do was replace one tire that had a nail/screw in it, in location that could not be fixed. They recommended that I replace all the tires at $375 each...

(Outer) (Center) (Inner)

Wow! I was so shocked that I declined, as I wanted to research this a bit. Felt that 16k is just too few miles to be putting new tires on... And ours is only a 60D (for what it's worth).

This is so not what I expected. Anyone hear of any improvements to this (I've read about keeping the suspension on High) or other, better wearing tires or ??? I cannot imagine spending $2,000 per year for tires! There has to be a better answer...

$375 is a good price. After my flat tire...I paid $600 for a single tire. $475 + $125 for alignment. I have the regular stock 20 inch continentals.

(Outer) (Center) (Inner)

Did they do an alignment too? It's part of the annual service. I just had mine done a bit ago and found the rear toe was out of spec (negative on both sides). This setting when combined with the rear camber is a particularly bad combo when it comes to tire wear.