TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Tire Wear on XP90D

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Zac C, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Zac C

Zac C Member

Has anyone experienced abnormal wear on inside of their rear tires? We just got back from driving on our "X-Country Road Trip" from Massachusetts to San Francisco and back (8,000+ miles) which we vlogged daily on our YouTube channel: Now You Know

Luckily a viewer commented upon seeing a shot of the back of our car in Montreal that our rear tires were really worn on the inside. I've included a photo [​IMG] that I hope loads into this post. We have air suspension and rode in "Very Low" for much of the trip to help with range - could this be the culprit?

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Can't see the photo but it's highly likely that it had some affect since "Very Low" would increase the negative camber putting the majority of the load onto the inside of the tires.

• Like x 1
  3. Diavel

Diavel Member

#3 Diavel, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    That is absolutely the reason why the inside of the tire are worn down. As Goneskiian mentioned, when the vehicle is in a lowered setting (low or very low) the tires tilt inward causing negative camber.

This is good for handling, cornering, range, lower center of gravity, appearance at the cost of premature tire wear.

4. Zac C

Zac C Member

Thanks for that info. I did confirm with my SC that this was the cause of the tire wear (camber change when in Low and even more in Very Low), I just wish that Tesla would add a sentence or two to the Owner's Manual about this so I would have known before driving 8,000 miles in Very Low :)

• Informative x 1
  5. Nader

Nader Member

I like the look of very low mode but the ride quality is horrible. Not much upward suspension travel left at that point. I just leave it set to low always instead.

6. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

Speaking of tires, Im disappointed to find my front and rear MX tires are different sizes. Ive had this configuration on two other high end cars and have experienced early tire wear, especially on the front, which I attribute to the fact that I cant rotate my tires. Because the rims are the same size, Ive wondered if I could put 4 same size tires on the car without consequences. Anybody have ideas about matching up the tires?

7. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

This was a reasonably well documented (in many a post) problem with early Model S. I even made slightly longer upper arms for the rear to remove some of the negative camber. Check toe in on the back to make sure you are at the low end of the spectrum (least amount of allowable rear toe in) as toe in exacerbates the negative camber problem.

• Helpful x 1
  8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

But since the X is AWD you shouldn't need to rotate the tires to avoid uneven tire wear. (Or if you do it would be a very long time between rotations.)

9. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

unless geometry causes uneven wear on one end at which point having a staggered set up precludes front to rear rotation. I have rotated tires across the rear on cars where I did not drive enough to warrant modifying the suspension. The difference on uni-directional tires is typically one extra groove on the "inside". I'd rather have one less (deep) groove on the inside then one extra groove but 1/3 the thread depth.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for chiming in with your experience lolachampcar.

11. Diavel

Diavel Member

Rims are not the same size and neither are the tires. Rims in front are 9" with a 35mm offset and the rears are 10" with a 40mm offset for both the 22" and the 20" setups.

You can change the rears to 9" and be able to rotate if you want but will lose some traction capabilities which is of consequence, affecting performance slightly but I don't see it as a problem. I don't know if the fronts will fit 10" rims but that setup may work as well.

12. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

Thanks Diavel.......I was under the impression the rims were all the same. Good to know, guess Ill just follow directions! :)

13. Diavel

Diavel Member

If you're concerned about tire wear, you can be conscientious about ride height. Putting the x on the "high" setting will save the most tire wear due to having the most positive camber. It will also give you the most plush ride (especially over imperfections on the road) vs all other settings, the highest setting seems to be stiff as the air suspension is maxed out it feels like. lowest setting gives the x a very Car-like feel. It's also likely that the higher the suspension, the more positive its camber will be.

The lower you put your suspension will result in tighter handling characteristics and more stable controls in high speeds but increase the inside tire wear tremendously (significant in the turns at the lower settings). being fastidious with the ride height and when to use it prolongs life.

I set mine to auto-low at 80mph, I then lower my S & X manually when I know what's coming or when I feel like spirited driving.

Apologies for reiterating a few of the same thing again but hopefully some people will find this useful.

• Informative x 1
  14. Troy

Troy Member

Check out this video. It looks like @goneskiian was spot on.