Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tires for the P85+ with 21x9 rears -- Michelin, Dunlop or Continental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I've got the 275 35R21 Continental ContiSportContact 5P installed in the rear of my P85+. First off, the PS2 were warn to the bone, so my comparison is most likely based on a warn out PS2 vs a brand new CSC 5P.

I've drive 30 miles on them, noticeable differences, they are very quiet and grip extremely well. Instead of the car breaking loose under full
acceleration while slight turning, the car literally points in the direction you want to go and blasts off with very little to zero tire spin. I need to get a few hundred miles on them to get them worn in a bit before I can comment more than that.

Summary: I'm happy! And they do look great! They look slightly bigger, but I like the look.

Should I post pictures?

Pictures! I'll start with a few since it is sort of dark in my garage right now. If you want I'll take more during the day. Also, let me know if you want to see other angles, etc.

I'm in San Diego, if anyone wants to stop by or we can meet somewhere if you've got a P85+ and interested in comparing. So far though I'm very happy with the new tires, though only driven 30 or so miles on them.

IMG_5467 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_5478 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_5479 - Version 2.jpg

Update: Drove a little bit more last night. These tires are very quiet and the car feels even more "flat". Power consumption is up about 5% I believe, though that could be because of the way I'm driving or just a break-in period while the tires wear flat... Or maybe wrong pressure, I asked for 40 psi. I will check them later today with my gauge.

Just a reminder, this is compared to PS2's that were worn out and my imagination of what I remember them to be like before they were worn out. :)

A side shot of the car would be nice so we can see how the front and rear wheels look now with the larger rears. I'll probably go with the Contis as well when mine wear out.
Let me get the car out of the garage during the day and take some decent pictures. (Haven't had to drive anywhere during the day yet.)

Bradhs,
You installed Conties just in the rear or all 4?
Yes, I only did the rears. Though, the outside edges of the front tires are wearing out quick, might beed to replace those. Will most likely go with the Conti's up front. I feel like upsize those also based on the way the back looks.

Re-starting this thread again, as I am in need of new rears for my staggered P85+ w/ 21' turbines.

I currently have the Pilot PS2 (265/35/21 - rears) installed and have recently noticed a small bubble in the sidewall (driver side), so looks like I need to replace them both asap. The fronts are also Pilot PS2s and are still in good condition. (set only six months old too)

The two rear sizes and tire makes I am considering: (from Tirerack.com)

275/35 21 - Conti Sport Contact 5P = $344

285/35 21 - Pilot Super Sport = $360

Any recent feedback on your experiences with these tires? Is it even possible to fit the wider/taller 285/35?

The Conti Sport Contact 5P's are good tires, but once they get down to 25% wear they don't grip as well. The PS2's do a little better and for the price I'd stick with the Continentals. That being said the PSS's are the BEST tires.

Unfortunately you cannot fit the 285 on that RIM. You can try but I think you're outside of specifications of the rims. Let me know if you want me to ask my local tire shop, they would really know.

Give Michelin a call, they were supposed to release the 265/35R21 and a 275/35R21. They may show up in 30-60 days. Not sure if you can hold out.

Re-starting this thread again, as I am in need of new rears for my staggered P85+ w/ 21' turbines.

I currently have the Pilot PS2 (265/35/21 - rears) installed and have recently noticed a small bubble in the sidewall (driver side), so looks like I need to replace them both asap. The fronts are also Pilot PS2s and are still in good condition. (set only six months old too)

The two rear sizes and tire makes I am considering: (from Tirerack.com)

275/35 21 - Conti Sport Contact 5P = $344

285/35 21 - Pilot Super Sport = $360

Any recent feedback on your experiences with these tires? Is it even possible to fit the wider/taller 285/35?

UPDATE:

Google: can you fit a 285 tire on a 9.5 rim

You'll find a lot of people claim that it will work. Check out the pictures above, based on me having those 275 on the 9.5 rear rim, adding another 10 mm may be okay. I would try it just because the PSS's are bad ass tires.

The Conti Sport Contact 5P's are good tires, but once they get down to 25% wear they don't grip as well. The PS2's do a little better and for the price I'd stick with the Continentals. That being said the PSS's are the BEST tires.

Unfortunately you cannot fit the 285 on that RIM. You can try but I think you're outside of specifications of the rims. Let me know if you want me to ask my local tire shop, they would really know.

Give Michelin a call, they were supposed to release the 265/35R21 and a 275/35R21. They may show up in 30-60 days. Not sure if you can hold out.

Ok great new PSS sizes would be awesome. I'll have a tire shop access the sidewall tomorrow and see if they think it's safe to wait a bit, then call Michelin and see what's on horizon; hopefully it's sooner!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Quick update from Michelin this morning, the Pilot Super Sports 265/35ZR21s will be available sometime in the summer 2016 and got on the email disto when it gets released.

Looks like my best option to go a bit wider rears are the 275/35 Conti SC 5Ps. I am leaning towards the deal at Tirerack as they offer road hazard warranty for free and it does cover sidewall bubble damage, that has developed on my Pilot PS2s.

Anyone chime in on your recent experience with Tirerack.com vs. local local tire shop? Also, if you ever had to use the road hazard warranty, please chime in. :)

It seems that in Germany the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires AND Continental Contisilent tires are now available for purchase in the size 265/35R21. The Pilot Super Sports are probably superior and overall the best tire handling-wise, but if grip is good in the Contis, are the Contis noticeably quieter than the PSS? And my second question is, are both quieter than the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 2's? I would be willing to trade some performance for a quieter tire.

For background information: I replaced my P85D's (I have the rare 265/35 rears) worn-out rear Michelin PS2 tires with new ones (they were actually outlet-discounted tires: manufacturing date mid-2013, but unused) in the back, but after changing from Nokia R2 19" winter tires to these new-old 21" Michelin PS2 tires they seem to be VERY loud so that you have to raise your voice in the cabin. The tire noise did not bother me before, so either the new PS2 rear tires are louder (due to them being manufactured in 2013 and thus the rubber compound has hardened etc.?) than the old ones that were replaced or then I got used to the quiet 19" winter tires since Autumn and forgot how noisy the 21" were...

I've installed 275/35 Conti SC 5Ps (Non-Conti-Silents) and so far working great. The rear tire is a bit beefier now, but looks fine, also upped the PSI now to 45 to help with the even wear. I kept the old Michelin PS2s as backup, as they were only 6 months old. The fronts should good hopefully for another year, then change the PS2s to Pilot Super Sports.

Hey @geovision and others
Thanks for re-awakening this thread. What i am hearing is you guys are putting little fatter tires on the Tesla staggered wheel set-up. So my P85+ with 245s front and 265s rear could be replaced with 255s front and 275s rear? (do they make these sizes?) I am sticking with Michelin PSS if I can. They are fabulous. But will those sizes fit, especially on the front? Maybe stick to 245s front and go fatter on the back with 275s.
Thoughts?
Thanks