Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tires for the P85+ with 21x9 rears -- Michelin, Dunlop or Continental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with... (I have the staggared rims setup)
Front PSS 245/35ZR21
Rear PS2 265/35ZR21

The PSS 265's are supposed to be out near the end of October. You could go with 285/30ZR21 in the rear if you like. I ultimately didn't do it because the car already sticks to the ground enough and I wanted to keep my power consumption under control.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
FYI, I just ordered a set of 245 and 265 Michelin Super Sports from the TireRack.com. They are not showing up on their website yet but they expect to receive a delivery on Oct 1 and you can place a pre-order that will be released when they arrive. You can call Mason 888-353-5082 x4692 and he knows the situation and can place the order.

It interesting to note that these new ones are special for Tesla with acoustic foam inside.

So my 2x rear tires need replacing on my P85+... lasted 1 year and 8000 miles.

Tesla again can only supply the poor Pilot Sport 2 tires

It seems that I can't find any Super Sport availability online, I have checked tire rack and they are on back order and Americas tire does not even list them.(unless someone can tell me where to source)

It looks like the recommended option is the:

265 / 275 35R21 Continental ContiSportContact 5P

I have some questions:

1. Do the 275 mm tires provide an overall better driving experience ?
2. Do the 275 mm tires wear less
3. Should I go with the R or ZR version? (What is the difference)

First of all, you need your alignment checked. 8K on a set of rears in staggered configuration is about half what you should be getting. Take your Tesla to an alignment shop that specializes in aligning Porsche, Audi's, Mercedes, knowing how to setup a race car etc, is a perfect choice. Your rear toe is out of whack and the tires are scrubbing, more than likely on the inside of the tread. Also too much camber, which isn't adjustable from the factory, can't be adjusted to the optimal -1'. See the thread here for adjustable control arms to fix your camber: Installed adjustable rear camber links to reduce rear tire wear

Finally onto your question; I have tried the Michelin PS2s and the Conti 5P (with the Contisilents). The PS2s, while had tons of good trip wet or dry, were super noisy and rough. The Conti's are MUCH quieter and about the same amount of grip, plus they have a little better tread life rating. My PS2 rears lasted 15K miles (with about 2K miles of that with bad alignment before I got my adjustable control arms). I wouldn't be surprised if the Conti's last 20K miles or more on the rears and 30K or more on the fronts.

Recommend: Continental 5Ps with Contisilents.

My vehicle is with Tesla for a service which includes Wheel alignment... is the Tesla wheel alignment not as good?

Also seeing as i am not buying tires from them i could ask for them to hold off on the wheel alignment till the new tires have been fitted and take it back if you think its a good idea!

My vehicle is with Tesla for a service which includes Wheel alignment... is the Tesla wheel alignment not as good?

Also seeing as i am not buying tires from them i could ask for them to hold off on the wheel alignment till the new tires have been fitted and take it back if you think its a good idea!

From my experience (and MANY others) the Tesla service centers cannot do a proper alignment job. Plus they won't install the 3rd party control arms. If you can hold off on the tires, do that, you don't want your crappy alignment chewing up a set of brand new tires. Tell them you'll pass right now, pick up your Tesla and take it to a good alignment shop. Avoid the nationwide franchises like Firestone, Goodyear etc.
This place looks good:
International Sport Motors - SoMa - San Francisco, CA
This place too:
Pacific Motors - Lower Pacific Heights - San Francisco, CA

Take it to one of these places and have them check your alignment, I am sure it is whack-a-doo. You will have too much toe in the back too much negative camber. Ask them if your rear camber is adjustable to get within -1 degree, if not, get the adjustable arms on order and have them install them and re-do the alignment.
It is a quick payback on getting proper alignment and the arms as those rear tires cost $350+ each.

• Love
So If Im right, let Tesla do their free alignment as part of service and purchase my tires elsewhere and go elsewhere for another wheel alignment and adjustment of rear camber?

I am in in San Jose and my vehicle is with Tesla Sunyvale...is there now way that Tesla can do this camber adjustment?

As for the tires, need to order.... I will go for the 275 35R21 Continental ContiSportContact 5P, should i go for the R or ZR Rating tire? Also what is the difference.

Thanks again for the tips!

From my experience (and MANY others) the Tesla service centers cannot do a proper alignment job. Plus they won't install the 3rd party control arms. If you can hold off on the tires, do that, you don't want your crappy alignment chewing up a set of brand new tires. Tell them you'll pass right now, pick up your Tesla and take it to a good alignment shop. Avoid the nationwide franchises like Firestone, Goodyear etc.
This place looks good:
International Sport Motors - SoMa - San Francisco, CA
This place too:
Pacific Motors - Lower Pacific Heights - San Francisco, CA

Take it to one of these places and have them check your alignment, I am sure it is whack-a-doo. You will have too much toe in the back too much negative camber. Ask them if your rear camber is adjustable to get within -1 degree, if not, get the adjustable arms on order and have them install them and re-do the alignment.
It is a quick payback on getting proper alignment and the arms as those rear tires cost $350+ each.

There is no rear camber adjustment unless you get aftermarket upper control arms, and then the SC probably will not align it.

There is a rear toe adjustment that the SCs are notorious for setting wrong. I haven't been able to figure out what they do... the SC gave me an alignment printout that showed rear toe in spec. I drove home, measured it, and it was way off. Somehow they set up their alignment rack wrong or something.

What about the Tires

275 35R21 Continental ContiSportContact 5P, should i go for the R or ZR Rating tire?

Looks like there are 3 versions of that tire. Audi-specific, Porsche-specific and "generic". What exact differences there are I have no clue. All of them will be rated for high speed, so "R or ZR rating" doesn't make sense (I know that's what tirerack shows).

Look up your car on TireRack and pick R or ZR whatever it says for your car. My guess is ZR, either doesn't really matter, your not going to drive 155 mph. The most important part is the load rating. The 96Y 101Y and the XL is the load ratings.

This is what you want.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...l S With Staggered Tires&autoModClar=P85 Plus

Most local Discount Tires places will match TireRack prices if you want to just get them local.

• Helpful
Reactions: EternalChampion
Looking to get this tire from tire rack...on special offer... Is this good for the rears on the P85+ with factory 21 inch rims?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 09.17.39.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 09.17.39.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 87