Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk corrosion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem does seem to propogate from the seam
In my case the corrosion is not propagating from the seam. It is on the surface of the underside of the trunk lid between the rubber seal on the rear window and the rubber seal around the trunk aperture.

IMO it looks like the holes in the rear window seal, designed to avoid water entering the trunk when opened, are allowing water into the void around the trunk aperture which is then not draining. This is creating a constantly humid environment which has permeated the paint.

Last edited:
Cleaned the car today in readiness for a visit from Tesla Service to install an o-ring to the trunk power strut.

Noticed what looks like corrosion on the underside of the trunk lid, and pointed it out to Tesla Service. He concurred and said it will need to go to the body shop.

Disappointing on a 19 month old car that is garaged.
Curious, do you clean your car with Simple Green? I ask because Simple Green is not good for aluminum. They do make an aluminum version, mainly for aircraft, but it’s not well known.

That is a seam right? In which case would say the source of the corrosion is moisture between the panels on the seam coming from the inside of the boot. That makes it essentially un fixable from the outside.
Possibly but my theory is that it's moisture hanging around in that area (front lip of boot lid) courtesy of the rubberised drip tray with the holes in it. The holes are not actually large enough for the water drain away fully in some areas. This means water is just sat that there in a trough up against that area of the underside of the boot most nights (if it's cold or damp/wet) and some of the day too. If the boot hasn't been prepared properly prior to the paint being applied and also the priming and painting process it's self is of a questionable standard then..... bingo.

In addition I don't think the bubbling I'm now seeing post warranty work is necessarily the same as the first issue. I think the warranty work is just a shoddy job by the paint shop that Tesla Reading farmed my boot lid out to.

Just for the sake of closure, my car was with Pronto Accident Repair Centre in Norwich for 10 days. I can’t fault the repair and Tesla Service returned it fully valeted and looking good as new.

Attachments

• IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Greytop and MrT3
Perhaps related to the stories I've heard of people reporting water sloshing around in their actual boot lid? When I've opened my boot I can see water droplets coming off the "points" at either end, but I've always assumed (and hoped) it's just water beading off the boot lid to this point.

When we initially reported the car misting up, often whilst supercharging (turns out it was poorly fitted roof glass that matched my FLIR photo evidence), Tesla immediately checked for water within the boot edge fold - done in front of me which opened up the conversation about it being a not uncommon occurrence.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Just for the sake of closure, my car was with Pronto Accident Repair Centre in Norwich for 10 days. I can’t fault the repair and Tesla Service returned it fully valeted and looking good as new.
Good to hear you're happy with the repair.
Mine came back from Reading Tesla yesterday having been 'reworked', it looks like they have done also done a good job this time but time will tell.

Just a quick heads up.
My warranty repair paintwork on the underside of the boot lid has started bubbling, I noticed the beginnings two or three weeks ago which was approximately five weeks after the warranty work had taken place. Current mind state - 'fuming'!!
Another service request submitted.
I replied to you on another post of mine about the same topic.

And coincidentally I seem to be having the same issue as you... area was repainted and now 6 months later its bubbling again. Hoping it doesn't happen a 3rd time.

Reactions: Greytop
I replied to you on another post of mine about the same topic.

And coincidentally I seem to be having the same issue as you... area was repainted and now 6 months later its bubbling again. Hoping it doesn't happen a 3rd time.
Likewise I've just replied in your thread.
I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction which to my mind (given the reoccurrence regularity) should be a new trunk lid.

Reactions: ForTheHalibut