TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear view mirror -- "wide mode"?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pecan314, Jan 1, 2016.

1. pecan314

pecan314 Member

Hi all,

We took delivery of our MS in December (2015) - love it! Never did a test drive!

One surprise is that the rear view mirror has intentional distortion - cars are wide and flat. Is this a new feature? I asked a friend who has a 60 (couple years old I think), and his doesn't distort the rear view.

Thanks in advance!

2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

It makes every car behind you look like a Tesla.

3. pecan314

pecan314 Member

lol!

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#4 ecarfan, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Rear view mirror -- "wide mode"?

I have not noticed any such distortion in my Dec 2013 S rear view mirror. I will have to look again...
    UPDATE: I spent many hours on the road today (January 2nd) and had ample opportunity to evaluate this issue. I found that with cars in my rear quarter view I could angle the rear view mirror and compare its view to the side mirror view of the same car. And yes, the rear view does tend to slightly compress vertically and expand horizontally compared to the side view mirror.
    And my conclusion is...it doesn't matter to me.

5. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Mine is a 2/2013 and it is indeed distorted somewhat.

6. Battman

Battman Member

I have a 90D, and the rear view is definitely distorted. Most cars look better in the rear view mirror and then look disappointing in real life.

7. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

8. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I do not know if this is new, but I have read elsewhere it is used to help get rid of blind-spots. I have been testing this feature and it does cover the blind spots pretty well (I compare to the side mirrors, adjusted to cover the blindspots, as well as looking over my shoulders). Yes the cars looks funny, and as they say "objects are closer than they appear". Many times I think the car behind me is a safe distance (using camera), and then when I look through the back window he/she is right on my butt. All in all, I think the wide angle camera is a good thing, especially since it covers the blindspots pretty well.

Also I've noticed that the camera picks up ambient light at night really well. Images are brighter at night than expected. My wife and kids noticed, and really like.

Congrats on the recent delivery! You'll love it!

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My mirror is definitely not wide angle and I have had two-first one stopped auto dimming. I've had them before. The rear camera is absolutely wide angle, which take time to adjust to.

10. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Sorry, I'm a doofus. Mistook rear view mirror for the camera. Just ignore my post. Duh....

11. BertL

BertL Active Member

Agree. My 9-2105 build 90D rear view mirror does not appear to have a strange wide-angle vie, but my rear camer certainly does (which is fine by me).

12. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

Ive noticed the wide angle distortions with some cars at certain distances but what bugs me is that darn middle seat headrest! It takes up a big part of the tiny view already.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Keep the rear view camera image at the top of the center display. Ignore the rear view mirror.

14. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Nope. You're not a doofus. OP wrote mirror.

:biggrin: