TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear window rattle

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P100D_Me, Oct 23, 2019.

1. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

I have this really annoying rattle from one of the rear windows when driving over even small bumps, it is far worse in colder weather.
    It sounds like the glass is hitting something solid but when I look at the seals everything appears to be good around where it might contact. If I move the window down just a touch the rattle stops.
    I was going to get the SC to have a go at it when I finally get told to bring it in to get the yellow screen sorted but it seems that day may never come so I'm going to try to solve the rattle myself.

Anyone else experienced and been able to fix this rear window rattle themselves on the Model S ?
    Thanks.

2. The Duke

The Duke Member

Sit back there and push on the window while someone else drives and recreates the rattle. It may be the hatchback lifting strut.

3. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Sorry I wasn't clear, not the rear window as in the main glass on the hatch, I meant the rear door window (I can't edit my original post now).

4. Noodle Asylum

Noodle Asylum Member

I have this exact issue on my May 2017 S100D. Rear passenger side window rattles every so slightly, based off the smoothness of the road, and the pitch seems to be glass on something else solid. If I roll the window down even a quarter inch the rattle goes away.

It definitely changes with temperature outside. I'm going to dive into it more this weekend and see if I can track down the problem. Maybe it's bouncing against the window trim piece somehow?

5. am_dmd

am_dmd Member

I have this exact rattle like you describe but on rear driver side window. If I roll the window down ever so slightly the rattle goes away. This has been bugging me now since I bought the car in 2016 and have asked SC several times but of course can't replicate.

Please update here if you find anything.