Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Tint - Headlights Reflecting off Defroster Lines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I had my Model S rear windows and rear glass tinted.
It looked great, and I thought would help with bright lights behind me at night.
What actually happened was I'd get horrible reflections that almost amplified the problem.

So, before I consider tinting my 3.... is this 'normal'? can it be fixed?

The photo isn't mine, but it's the same issue.

thanks!
49676508_1543241602487139_636399602194448384_n.png

Alternatively, does anyone sell a cutout of tint that fits the rear view mirror? Or just hit up walmart and cut to size?

Unfortunately can’t be fixed...

If the defroster elements were embedded within the glass (like a heated windshield on most high end vehicles) you wouldn’t see any distortion with tint. Unfortunately with raised heated elements like M3 the tint placed on top will cause some distortion (more pronounced at night).

I was planning on getting tint for my Model 3, but that would definitely be distracting to me. I've had about 9 cars tinted and I've never seen the reflection from defroster lines like in the attached pic.
Yep it's a bit annoying :( Still prefer the tint though, cuts blinding headlights, keeps the car cool, and looks better too. Some people only tint the side windows though, so you could do that.