Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Windows move on entry and exit of car - 2021.40.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the most recent 2021.40.6 update my rear windows try to close when I get in and out of the car. Not every time, only when I close the door to set off for a drive or when I get out of the car after the drive and close the door.

Thinking it’s probably not great for the motor. Is this a winter improvement feature or a bug?

For background it’s -1 where I am.

Last edited:
It is probably moving to/from the fully closed position to stop the window from freezing to the rubber seal?? Happens at low temperatures...
Never experienced this last winter but I did hear this was added. Also had colder days recently and never happened, but you could be right, however it only closes more in both situations.
Maybe try closing the door before setting off for the drive that might help?
haha 😆 yeah, edited my wording now.

Interesting. I thought I heard the passenger door windows move this morning when I got out of the car. Just updated last night and I've never heard that before. Thought I was imaging things :) Same temps as you, but it didn't do this last week when it was even colder. Will keep an eye - or ear - out for this.
Glad it’s happening to a few of us since 2021.40.6.

I’d expect it to move down, like others have mentioned. But mine goes up. If you notice it again I’d appreciate if you could say which way it’s going to for you.

I heard this a couple of days ago. I assume its the cold weather as we only took 2021.40,x yesterday. I must admit, I hadn't heard it before even though I know it happened as I measured the drop in the past. But maybe it is a change in the way it works. I did have a window stick on me last week and had to be careful opening the door - nothing to do with the door seal, it had totally frozen along its lower edge as it enters the door frame.

The window drop only occurs when returning from a drive and its less than 4C. So it wont happen if the car returns from a drive when its initially warmer than 4C then temperature later drops.

Something has definitely changed. I held off accepting 2021.40 as long as I could, but I wanted Tidal so I succumbed yesterday.

Before I accepted the update, i never did hear the windows shuffle when I closed the rear doors. Straight after the update, I opened the rear door as a shortcut to unlock so I could open the charge port and when I closed they did this shuffle. No change in external temperature. Now I'm hearing them do this all the time

They always did lower themselves a bit to stop the frameless windows freezing shut but that was some time after locking. Now this feature seems to happen straight away.

At least we've found the winter weather improvement in this update, I now await the next one.

Yep, it didn't use to do this exact shuffle straight after closing the rear doors.

It did always lower them a bit, but that was always after the car was locked. Now it's before the car is even locked.

This started happening to me yesterday. Just on the driver's side though and not every time. When I close the driver's side door after getting out, the driver's side passenger window goes down and comes up like the door has been opened. I think I hear the door switch activating when this happens, which would make more sense. If the door switch is activating, that would make the car think the door was opening, and activate the windows. The next time this happens to you, listen close for the door switch.

Thank you for confirming I’m not going mad. Updated to 2021.40.6 and now noticed this - get out drivers door and rear windows lower slightly when driver door closed. Get back in driver seat and close the drivers door to hear them raise back up.

Makes sense it’s an anti-freeze tweak, maybe it happens sooner than before - did it used to happen at lock and not door close? Does need documenting/adding to release notes to avoid confusion if so…