Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rearview mirror housing rattle/vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you also put a rubber feet? If so, what size? TIA
Yep same feet. Three placed the same way.
715295948.229108public.jpeg

Reactions: redcardinal
So I did the rubber feet "fix" and added a bunch of felt tape to all the clips, upper and lower rear view and front camera housing.

The "vibration" sound looks to be in the dashboard area which means... harder to fix.

My car is only 3 months old and noticed this "vibration" 3 days after delivery.

Classic Tesla....... don't know what to say

Yep same feet. Three placed the same way. View attachment 970278
This worked for me. I just pulled down the bottom edge of the camera housing slightly per the YouTube video and put one clear bumper in each corner. No need for three as far as I can tell ... there is nothing in the center that would rattle or vibrate against something else if those two feet are in place. Then I pushed to snap the housing back into place.

just addressed this issue in a 2022 MYLR. no need for special pry tools, used a smooth card (like a rewards card or gift card, something that doesn't have raised numbers) to pry into the front of the lower cover. i followed the video from post #3. the trick to getting the card to slip in is to squeeze the neck of the cover and shift it around so there's enough of a gap in the front to slide the card in. after the card is inserted, slide it around to release the clips (while pulling down on the cover). once the cover is off, use a good t20 torx driver to remove the screw holding the mirror. make sure to use a good tool with a T handle so you don't strip the screw (the factory applied loctite is a little stubborn). once the mirror is off, pull down the camera cover from the front. the culprit is the plastic plate outlined in blue. i used a piece of foam insulation tape used to seal doors and windows and stuck a strip on the plastic plate (marked in red). once everything is put back together, that puts enough pressure on the plate to keep it from rattling.

Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 11.34.40 AM.png

Finally I sorted out the issue last night.

There are two parts inside front camera assembly cage which can causing this rattle issue:

1) the camera shield cage, as pointed out by many people in this thread, the inside edge may rub or tap against windshield glass. I put some foam material around the edge like this:

20231003114126.jpg

2) the GPS sensor PCB and it is a design flaw for sure. the PCB is only fixed by one screw and two tabs on the other side. there are plastic extension mechanism under the tabs to give pressure to the tab from rattling in the tab opening. However that plastic extension will soon become loose and PCB start to rattle inside the tab opening. I just put foam on the PCB tab and support extension part.

20231003114044.jpg
20231003114113.jpg

In order to access this PCB you need to remove the camera assembly. there are 4 T10 torx screws holding that camera module. The PCB itself is held by 1 T10 torx screw.

Overall, this is not assembly issue, it is design flaw from start. I am surprised that Tesla engineers would make such low level mistake designing like this. it is like the electronics/design engineers are just graduate from school. It will much easier and better holding with 3 screws. this rattle will happen to all Model Y for sure just a matter of time when the support spring tension is gone.

if you are trying the same solution as I did, make sure you use high temperature allowance foam for automobile.

Yup. Intermittent based on road surface and speed not consistent and a little push on the housing usually silenced it temporarily. Been just tolerating it but then I saw this genius screen spline fix. I used a sturdy plastic spoon from an MRE and gently pried the front of the housing away from the windshield enough to insert the rubber spline and worked it in one side to the other. Took less than a minute. Happy now to report no more rattles.
Before I mess with my rear view mirror housing, was the rattle was like a sliding/shifting sound? Only happens on rapid accel/decel or bumps in road. Like something shifting or sliding inside of housing unit. Thx.