Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot: The Tesla Motors Insider Perspective (Parts 1-2) is out now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...The engineers loved it, because through it, and the computerized interface it was connected to, it provided ready access to every critical system used in powering and driving the car –from the power steering to the regenerative brakes to the motor and battery controls to the air conditioning – the EPS logged and controlled it all. Of course, when the EPS crashed or froze, short of a reboot, the car suddenly became a giant paperweight that may or may not be moving at the time...

Power Steering ?!

"But in the Tesla Roadster, when the computer crashed, nearly everything went with it – power and brakes – the truly important things."

Even with power cut I don't have my brakes go out in the Roadster... unless he's talking about regenerative braking, but that goes out with a Range Mode charge anyway....

I agree TEG, power steering... ok really did he just say that!?... where and why did they get this guy to drive the Roadster in the 1st place!? Must be to beef up the story and to grab the reader's attention. I don't like the exaggeration, fun story without it.

He is for real. He was the main PR guy in the early days, giving rides to prove the vehicle was real, and keeping the deposits coming in.
I thought he was a good spokesperson, and was surprised when they got rid of him.

But, I have to wonder, when I see technical errors, what other kinds of errors could be lurking in that story.

I once got a ride in EP2... And nothing broke or went wrong. But it had the 2 speed transmission locked in 2nd gear because of early "teething pains".

Last edited:
Considering the amount of paperwork required to unholster and discharge a pistol (my uncle and cousin are CHPs) I somehow doubt he unloaded on a wounded deer and then offered it to some nearby stranded motorist. That goes against so many procedures they have.

He is for real. He was the main PR guy in the early days, giving rides to prove the vehicle was real, and keeping the deposits coming in.
I thought he was a good spokesperson, and was surprised when they got rid of him.

But, I have to wonder, when I see technical errors, what other kinds of errors could be lurking in that story.

With all of Tesla's success, it makes sense that some would want to capitalize on the interest with some sensasionalistic stories.

I once got a ride in EP2... And nothing broke or went wrong. But it had the 2 speed transmission locked in 2nd gear because of early "teething pains".

There are a couple of minor errors that will be addressed in the revision when Part 2 is released. That's the nice thing about releasing on serial publication - the opportunity to catch and fix these as I go.

The ones that have been pointed out include the distinction between clip/magazine vs. revolver (clearly I'm not a gun guy and the cop was standing a good 50 feet away), the power steering reference (this was an change made by an editor during editorial review that I didn't catch), and the fact that Michigan Dr. In Chicago is actually Lake Shore Dr. (I lived in Chicago during part of my childhood, so I should know this).

Nonetheless, there is nothing sensational about the story other than the fact that working at Tesla in those early days was itself, a sensational, and at times, surreal experience that I feel privileged to have experienced first hand. Obviously, the first chapter was meant to be an attention grabber by design. Having said that, TEG, I would encourage you (and others) to read the rest of Part 1 (already available on Amazon) and Parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 (most of which are already complete and soon to be released) to get a more complete picture of the project. I'm convinced you'll find it an enlightening and rewarding read.

All feedback is appreciated.

-- DavidV :D

Last edited:
In California after dispatching an injured animal, the Department of Fish a Game is supposed to be called to dispose of the animal. Unde NO circumstances is any driver able to take the animal. They would then be in posession of illegally taken game without the proper tags, and liable for arrest and a huge fine. I call BULL on this portion of the story.

Thanks for having the courage to follow up, David. I purchased part 1 and look forward to reading all of this. I am curious, will Amazon just automatically send out the follow up parts?

Yes, although from what I understand it is not an automatic process. As it was explained to me, for those that bought the digital book, as I update the book, downloads will be available free of charge to reflect those updates. For those buying hard copies, updated paper books won't be sent out, but you'll have access to the digital versions to download those updates. Worst case scenario, if Amazon really screws up, I'll be happy to personally send out PDFs with proof of purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

In California after dispatching an injured animal, the Department of Fish a Game is supposed to be called to dispose of the animal. Unde NO circumstances is any driver able to take the animal. They would then be in posession of illegally taken game without the proper tags, and liable for arrest and a huge fine. I call BULL on this portion of the story.

For all I know, he was just making a sarcastic comment and had already called in to Fish and Game (or whomever) to deal with the cleanup. Given his demeanor, this wouldn't surprise me in the least. That said, it is not unusual in that area to see road kill out for hours, or in some cases a day or more, until it is picked up (unless it is in the path of traffic, which he dealt with by dragging it off in front of the car on the shoulder). As to the paperwork comments re: discharge of a firearm, I'm certainly no expert, but likely if this is required, it is not filled out standing at the side of the road in the blazing sun but in the comfort of his air conditioned cruiser or back at the office.

My comment was more on the lines of I doubt he would really do it to euthanize and injured deer since it would be a pain for him afterwards. Especially trying to justify emptying his entire pistol into one animal that a clean shot to the head would fix instantly.

Lloyd, in California, peace officers are entitled to enforce either the letter of the law, or the spirit of the law. It's their choice. It's very possible the officer said just that, and drove off, knowing that consequences are unlikely.

Considering the amount of paperwork required to unholster and discharge a pistol (my uncle and cousin are CHPs) I somehow doubt he unloaded on a wounded deer and then offered it to some nearby stranded motorist. That goes against so many procedures they have.

I'll second that observation. He would probably call animal control, stay on scene to observe, and minimize his responsibilities. I smell creative writing...

I'll second that observation. He would probably call animal control, stay on scene to observe, and minimize his responsibilities. I smell creative writing...

Nope. He literally did just drive off. But then, if you think about it, assuming other more pressing calls are coming in, is he really going to hang around and baby sit roadkill while on the clock?

Cops say and do a LOT of things that aren't ethical or even legal. So I'm very willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt on this one.