Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall FUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue is with the media. They throw Tesla into every headline for more clicks. Last year, a landrover (or similar) vehicle drove off the side of a main road at high speed and ended up on the roof of a Tesla dealership.

Headling? "Horror Tesla Smash"

Today I read an article about a self driving trial that was completed around woolwich by Nissan. Semi interesting article until the "meanwhile Tesla have just had to issue a recall due to a safety issue with their FSD cars" line.

Its a software update and lots of people don't understand that and think its the same as VW's dieselgate or airbags going off and killing people.

Should it be needed? No. Should it be reported? Sure. But does it have to be made such a big deal of?

I believe Musk is officially credited at Tesla as a "founder" of Tesla even though he wasn't on of the people who started the company The change to the company records/literature was made at the behest of someone called E.Musk and approved unanimously by the CEO.
Like the Khmer Rouge, Musk decided that the day he bought into the company is Day Zero.

I can agree with you on media bias, sensationalism, anti-musk stances, etc etc, but that's another topic. But this below is a problem, imho, and I disagree strongly! :)

Its a software update and lots of people don't understand that and think its the same as VW's dieselgate or airbags going off and killing people.

Should it be needed? No. Should it be reported? Sure. But does it have to be made such a big deal of?

A recall is issued based on an analysis of risk and consequences. It then needs to be publicised and remedied appropriately. Whether it is fixed by software update or physical recall is and must be irrelevant! Neither Tesla nor anyone else can be allowed to hide from the 'stigma' of an issue that has been deemed to be serious enough to qualify as a recall by being allowed to call it 'just a software update, our bad' simply because they have the technology to deliver the remedy remotely by OTA.

Tesla issue many software updates that are not recalls, but this one is a recall, so it needs to be called a recall and treated as a recall!

In this instance, yes it's a big deal.

People have died through poor software. It ought to be reported widely so Tesla take testing seriously, and accident reports seriously, and the NHTSA seriously, and making outlandish claims about their self drive capability seriously.
Really? I agree bad software has the potential to kill someone but in the Tesla crashes death occurred because people weren’t driving the cars within the law (and limitations specified). It wasn’t software faults. Maybe a mis-leading sales approach to FSD but that’s not what the recall is for.

Let’s just remember the YouTube vids of people sitting in the back seats, weights on steering wheels. Defeated the safety devices and pretended the car is L5.

People cannot be trusted to understand and obey the law. We regulate the design of cars to protect us from the people that drive them. If Tesla takes a liberal approach to interpretation and compliance with the regulations then I have no issue with NHTSA pulling Tesla up. Will it magically fix the AI? No. It will just delay code releases until they’re ready, fair enough.

Really? I agree bad software has the potential to kill someone but in the Tesla crashes death occurred because people weren’t driving the cars within the law (and limitations specified). It wasn’t software faults. Maybe a mis-leading sales approach to FSD but that’s not what the recall is for.

Let’s just remember the YouTube vids of people sitting in the back seats, weights on steering wheels. Defeated the safety devices and pretended the car is L5.

People cannot be trusted to understand and obey the law. We regulate the design of cars to protect us from the people that drive them. If Tesla takes a liberal approach to interpretation and compliance with the regulations then I have no issue with NHTSA pulling Tesla up. Will it magically fix the AI? No. It will just delay code releases until they’re ready, fair enough.
Read the reasons for the recall

The FSD Beta system may allow the vehicle to act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution. In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver's adjustment of the vehicle's speed to exceed posted speed limits.

FSD Beta is still only L2 ADAS. The driver should be paying attention and in control. They know they’re driving test software.

FSD Beta is still only L2 ADAS. The driver should be paying attention and in control. They know they’re driving test software.
Then let's call it what it is. Straight line adaptive cruise control. And drop any pretence of "autopilot" or the even more ridiculous and dangerous "full self driving". As they are forcing Tesla to do in California. $15,000 for a cross between L1 and L2 ADAS.

Reactions: guru1 and NewbieT