Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received messages sometimes shows the wrong contact and associated message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched around and didn't see any other posts on this so wanted to post about my experience with it.

Picked up my M3P in mid March with 2019.35.108 which did not have the messaging feature in it. Once my software updated to 2020.8.2 I was happy to see the messaging feature was available and was receiving text messaging. I did notice, however, that about 30% of the time, the message I received on my infotainment screen did not match the message, or even the sender on my phone causing some confusion. In some cases it was pulling random text messages from people I hadn't spoken to in weeks or even months.

Basically I'd get a message on my phone from John Smith today at 2 PM and it would display in the console a message from Jane Doe at 6 PM December 18th.

I figured this might be a known issue and waited for the next software update before pursuing it. I upgraded to 2020.12.5 last week and the issue was still there. I opened a case with Tesla support who walked me through some basic troubleshooting (power off the car, power off the screen, remove and readd phone) but nothing worked. They suggested I schedule a service appointment and I did. They remotely reviewed my logs and came up with it being an issue with how the software interacts with a Pixel phone (I have the Pixel 4 XL). They said it's a known issue but no known date on when the issue will be resolved.

I'll update the thread once I hear more or have a tested resolution.

Well it worked solid for about 4 days then my Bluetooth stopped working for both calls and streaming media. I had to disconnect and forget my phone before it started working again and then the messaging issue returned.

Are others also filing these issues with the service center so it's tracked?

Mine still don't work either. It's very annoying that I usually end up turning them off and hope an update works. Honestly I just got my car back from the shop as my heater wasn't working although they said nothing seems wrong. I drove 20 min in my car this morning in 31 degree weather and it was still barely warm by the time I got to my destination. Very frustrating.

I'm having the same issue since the feature was added. I have a Pixel 3XL with Android 10 and 11, using Pulse SMS. No RCS. Model 3 with the latest software since the feature became available. I'm on 2020.48.12.1 as of this post. I have used the bug report process in the car several times when it happens.

Those of you reporting this issue, all using the stock messaging app for your respective phones, correct? Tesla doesnt support either group messaging, or third party messaging apps on any phones.

Just mentioning it in case any of you are using some third party messaging app on your phone, or talking about a group text thread.

Pixel 4 XL user here... Own 2021 Model Y (second generation out of the 3) with latest software...

This occurs to me I would say the same about 30% of the time and it's been happening since mile 7... Currently at mile 17,022..

Tesla told me it was a phone issue but if this is happening on both a Galaxy and a Pixel (with no users here using the mostly inferior iPhone) then maybe it's an Android issue?

Either way, Tesla is getting the blame for it and they should figure a way to fix it.

Still having same problem on my Model Y with 2 versions of Pixel phone -- "ghost" messages appear from someone other than actually incoming text, or old texts from the person even tho they didn't send a new text which has confused my communications a time or two, like: Q="Are we still meeting today?" A: "Uh, didn't know we were supposed to meet." And then I realize it's an old recycled messages from months ago :) Anyone find any work arounds/solutions yet? Also, newbie question, where do we provide specific feedback to Tesla on issues?

Still having same problem on my Model Y with 2 versions of Pixel phone -- "ghost" messages appear from someone other than actually incoming text, or old texts from the person even tho they didn't send a new text which has confused my communications a time or two, like: Q="Are we still meeting today?" A: "Uh, didn't know we were supposed to meet." And then I realize it's an old recycled messages from months ago :) Anyone find any work arounds/solutions yet? Also, newbie question, where do we provide specific feedback to Tesla on issues?
Changing phones won't fix the issue. Keep putting in tickets with Tesla and tell them how upset you are that something as simple as text messages is still not working on such an "advanced" piece of technology. Maybe (probably not) if enough of us keep raising the red flag they'll actually do something about it....