TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recent Colorado Snow

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by DÆrik, Mar 28, 2016.

1. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

Did anyone, with a dual motor S, drive around the Denver area on Wednesday 03/23/2016? I am curious to know how a D did in all the snow.

Thanks Erik

2. MileHighMotoring

It was all about two things - tires and ground clearance. Our cars don't stand out in either category. My SUV with 8" of ground clearance and similar A/S tires did terribly too. My friend has a lifted truck with knobby tires and he said it was just fine for him.

But once the snow is packed down, the 85D does pretty good if you're careful. I've been impressed. But it can still slide around so don't assume AWD will save you.

3. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

Yes, I certainly know AWD wont save me. I was driving in some of the worst of it and my 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid (front wheel drive) did decent once I got out of my work parking lot. But I saw a bunch of people having a terrible time. I was just curious how the Tesla's held up.

I am looking at placing an order on the 31st, given new options are announced.

Thanks Erik

4. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

I've run Blizzacks most of the winter here in Colorado Springs. Best car I've ever driven. I had put my all season's back on prior to the snow last week....still the best car i've ever driven.

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The dual motor Model S performs very well in the Sierra snow ... should do fine in the Rockies.

6. MileHighMotoring

Well FlatSix we had anywhere from 12-40" of snow on the ground, so tires / AWD weren't the limited factors involved last week! :p

• Like x 1
  7. Panoz

Panoz Member

I was wondering how your tires did; I have the OEM all-seasons so it wasn't great.