Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Stook02ss - I am in the same situation - want to take delivery in January. So if I get a VIN today, is it possible to push for 20 days? Or is it best to put on hold until 12/30ish and stay in line?
In my experience, best put it on hold. That's what I did yesterday. Fore some reason when I asked them to release the assigned VIN it didn't work, I was immediately assigned a new one.
Called back and they put my order on hold till January.

Chose my delivery date, yesterday. Gave me a 5-day window to schedule: 24th to the 28th. Took the first appointment at 11:00am on Christmas Eve.

MYP Red/black, no tow or FSD. Ordered on 10/17, got my VIN on 12/8, and is nearly a 327xxx VIN. Hoping for AS4s. I already dropped a fair bit of $$$ on 20" TSTs and AS4s in preparation...
How long they give you to finish all the paperwork/pre-delivery tasks once your vin was assigned

In my experience, best put it on hold. That's what I did yesterday. Fore some reason when I asked them to release the assigned VIN it didn't work, I was immediately assigned a new one.
Yeah, I'm not saying they won't do it, but the service rep I spoke to when putting my car on hold implied it was less of a deal since I hadn't been assigned a VIN yet. My thinking is they allow for a certain amount of flexibility, and I don't want to poke the bear. For example, I've heard you can only reject a VIN/vehicle so many times before they cancel your order - I'd rather not exhaust one of those, just in case for whatever reason I do decide I want to reject one in the future (not sure why I would... but just in case lol).

My brother ordered a MYP Black with white interior no tow no fsd on 12/12 got a vin match on 12/14. How the heck does that happen. Are tons of people rejecting their vehicles? Btw this is North Jersey area. Here I am about to pick up a 2021 MYP White/White Demo with 500 miles for 12/18. I am thinking maybe I should do the same or was it dumb luck?

Yeah my guy is telling me that copper wire right now is very $$$
While copper wire has become expensive, they are using it as a reason to overcharge most people. I needed to run the line about 35 ft from the panel with 3/4” conduit attached to the garage wall. I was quoted $2,500 by a Tesla installer. He gave me the same line about the copper wiring. I told him to go jump in a volcano. I looked up online what the cost for me to purchase two 35 foot strands of 6 gauge insulated copper wire and a ground wire. It was just over $100. That’s it. Check for yourselves. Found an electrician that charged me $50 an hour (3 hours) and $100 for wire and $100 for 60 amp breaker and conduit. That was it for a 35 ft run with a wall charger mounted with it. I tipped Him $100 for not gauging me. Negotiate for yourselves. Parts for an install should not be more than $200 unless you have some crazy setup. If you are installing right next to the panel, then parts should be no more than $100 The rest is pure profit for these guys. They hear the words “Tesla charger install” and their eyes light up.

I needed panel modifications, 60ft of 4 guage wire, dry wall work in my finished basement and garage, and ended up north of $2K. The cost can vary wildly based on how close your panel is to the charger, if it's adequate (~200 amp panel), if there is a need to transit a finished basement or long distances, and the region where you live. My install did take two guys a full day to complete, but they did a quality job. The state of VA also offers a tax rebate for the installation, so I'd check your state for any benefits.
Why did you run 4 gauge wire? Much more expensive and 6 gauge is fine For 48 amps

Yeah, I'm not saying they won't do it, but the service rep I spoke to when putting my car on hold implied it was less of a deal since I hadn't been assigned a VIN yet. My thinking is they allow for a certain amount of flexibility, and I don't want to poke the bear. For example, I've heard you can only reject a VIN/vehicle so many times before they cancel your order - I'd rather not exhaust one of those, just in case for whatever reason I do decide I want to reject one in the future (not sure why I would... but just in case lol).
I put mine on hold for the first time till 12/12 (the EDD was exactly when I was out of the country), they removed it one day earlier (12/11) without asking, with EDD mid-February to mid-March, which I was fine with, since I'm not desperate for a car... Within a day it has changed to 12/13-12/19 (!), suggesting me to upload the ins, financing etc... VIN 325XXX... which most likely meant I'd get summer Pirellis. At this point I decided to wait till 22, hoping for the EV incentives. Most likely, I'll remove my hold couple of days before the NY.
As to "poking the bear", I traded my 18 MS P100D within 8 months of ownership, due to awful build quality and equally bad customer service. Have a low tolerance for both. Hope it's improved since.

My brother ordered a MYP Black with white interior no tow no fsd on 12/12 got a vin match on 12/14. How the heck does that happen. Are tons of people rejecting their vehicles? Btw this is North Jersey area. Here I am about to pick up a 2021 MYP White/White Demo with 500 miles for 12/18. I am thinking maybe I should do the same or was it dumb luck?
hahaha wonder if it was the one i rejeted. i was assigned a vin last week of november, but im in florida for the holidays. VIN3081XX?

Your brother just got lucky. Sometimes people cancel at the last second and a car is already slated for delivery. If you are in the geographic area, they will match you Instantly if no one else with an existing reservation in the area wants the same car. I had something similar happen to me this week. I called asking if they had demo units for sale but the person was not actually at the store I thought I was calling. Sometimes stores route calls to a call center. The person noticed there was a MYP scheduled to be delivered around my area (well 100 miles away) with the specifications I was looking for and asked if I wanted it. So I had an OD of 12/13/2021, VIN 12/13/2021 and scheduled pickup of 12/17/2021. VIN is 2022. Car is at Fremont as of 12/13 and hopefully on the truck :).

Last edited:
How do I put mine on hold? So when I originally ordered it was January Ed. Once I complete my order I sat at 12/18-12/31 until a few days ago. It then switched to 1/8-2/8. I just checked before and it’s 12/28-12/31 🤦🏻‍♂️. I don’t have a vin yet and I’m not in a hurry to collect the car before the new year. I’m honestly waiting so I can hopefully score the Michelins!

I put mine on hold for the first time till 12/12 (the EDD was exactly when I was out of the country), they removed it one day earlier (12/11) without asking, with EDD mid-February to mid-March, which I was fine with, since I'm not desperate for a car... Within a day it has changed to 12/13-12/19 (!), suggesting me to upload the ins, financing etc... VIN 325XXX... which most likely meant I'd get summer Pirellis. At this point I decided to wait till 22, hoping for the EV incentives. Most likely, I'll remove my hold couple of days before the NY.
As to "poking the bear", I traded my 18 MS P100D within 8 months of ownership, due to awful build quality and equally bad customer service. Have a low tolerance for both. Hope it's improved since.
Yeah, sad to say, but I'm expecting crappy build quality and non-existent CS - I'm setting my expectations about as low as I can to avoid buyers regret lol.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Your brother just got lucky. Sometimes people cancel at the last second and a car is already slated for delivery. If you are in the geographic area, they will match you Instantly if no one else with an existing reservation in the area wants the same car. I had something similar happen do me this week. I called asking if they had demo units for sale but the person was not actually at the store I thought I was calling. Sometimes stores route calls to a call center. The person noticed there was a MYP blue , white interior with tow hitch available in my area (well 100 miles away) and asked if I wanted it. So basically I ordered and 20 minutes later had a VIN. Delivery day is this week. car Is a 2022 still at Fremont or just leaving soon. 15 miles on the odometer.
That’s true when I called the SA he said samething. He told me to try calling back tomorrow sometimes if they see a rejected one on their end they might be able to assign it if the computer hasn’t already.

On Saturday, I was at the Fremont Factory delivery center to pick up my refresh Model X. Before picking it up, we put in an order for Model Y to replace the 3.
The SA was keen on us to get one of the demo units already on the lot. Gave us a couple of options that we declined. Mainly he was proposing Performance Model Y with 2K on it for 300-700$ less; or a 2021 VIN.
Since we were not too keen on the exterior, He said he will look the inventory and have something soon, and hurried us to complete rest of the formalities (trade-in, financing, etc). After I completed it and contacted him again, SA pretty much tried to push the demo unit again. When i declined Again, he pretty much said "Someone from delivery team will contact you when there is something available".
I really want a different SA at this point. Not that they are of much help, but I dont like being lied to.

I placed my reservation 4/20/20 and placed the order on 12/2/21. My ODD was 2/4-3/4 but it just changed to 12/25-12/31. I'm hoping it gets delayed because I really wanted an Austin Y and if that wasn't going to happen, I really wanted to take delivery on 1/1/22 or later for the possible Federal tax credit. I think I'm going to lose out on both. I'm hoping it gets changed back to a 2022 delivery date like some on here have. I'm in MD if that matters.