Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't but I can postpone until I get what I want. I didn't order the car when when was $8k less. If if I pay the latest price,I would like to have the latest techonology. I just got off the phone with the Tesla rep. He confirmed that the MYP associated with my VIN has exactly the same configuration as the car produced in the past two years ( Intel Atom, etc). I would take delivery if the car came at least with Ryzen. It doesn't make much of a difference now but in 3-5 years from now, that intel Atom will be a nightmare with newer software.
Sure but the MCU is upgradeable, and Tesla doing continuous improvements (vs using model generation / specific refresh notation) means there will nearly always be a next "thing", which can create an analysis/anticipation paralysis loop that would keep you waiting on the sidelines in perpetuity.

2022 Model Y Performance Blue/Black/Tow
OD: 12/06/2021
Original EDD: January 18 - February 21
New EDD: February 12 - March 12

Hoping & praying this means that it will have the new chip, new battery, new 4180 pack and new Giga-pressed front chassis and be 400lbs lighter! 🤞

That's the plan. I also have to option to do this earlier if I am "Ready for Delivery". I'm not worrired waiting too long for a MYP. Like I said, my order was placed on Dec 29.
Funny enough I just got an email and they will hold me until January 20, at which point they'll start searching for another MYP. I'll likely go with that and see what the overall situation is in a few weeks re: Austin and Ryzen, etc. I ordered at the current pricing, so worst case is I forfeit my $250 deposit.

New here. Also in Texas (DFW)

OD 10/16
Hold 12/07
I’m Ready 12/29
EDD since 1/06 - 2/03; 1/23 - 2/17 (yesterday); 1/07 - 1/10 (VIN today)

MYP Red / Black / No tow / No FSD
VIN NF355
Follow up from my SA (EDD 1/6 - 1/10 currently) *I mistakenly typed 1/7 above

“At this time, our logistics details show an estimated arrival at the final delivery center on the 17th - 18th of January from our Fremont factory. Delivery will take place 2-3 days after its arrival”

Moral of the story: EDD is still way off even when it narrows to a 5-day window

Sure but the MCU is upgradeable, and Tesla doing continuous improvements (vs using model generation / specific refresh notation) means there will nearly always be a next "thing", which can create an analysis/anticipation paralysis loop that would keep you waiting on the sidelines in perpetuity.
I would agree with you if Tesla didn't manufactured cars with Ryzen chips, but they do. I don't want to be the guy paying Tesla $2k-$3k in three to four years because I can "upgrade" the MCU while Tesla decided to ship about 20%( at this time) of the cars with Ryzen . I disagree with you on "always be a next thing", at least for the moment. The MY is at the crossroads due to new casting, new battery pack and everything that comes with MY2.0. Let me ask you a question. In 5 years from now, which model Y do you think will sell better as used car? The MY 2022 (with 2020 hardware on it) or MY2022 V2 (new Ryzen, new battery pack and all the goodies)? Like I said, I would take the delivery if it had at least the new Ryzen on it.

I would agree with you if Tesla didn't manufactured cars with Ryzen chips, but they do. I don't want to be the guy paying Tesla $2k-$3k in three to four years because I can "upgrade" the MCU while Tesla decided to ship about 20%( at this time) of the cars with Ryzen . I disagree with you on "always be a next thing", at least for the moment. The MY is at the crossroads due to new casting, new battery pack and everything that comes with MY2.0. Let me ask you a question. In 5 years from now, which model Y do you think will sell better as used car? The MY 2022 (with 2020 hardware on it) or MY2022 V2 (new Ryzen, new battery pack and all the goodies)? Like I said, I would take the delivery if it had at least the new Ryzen on it.
A car is a depreciating asset, I can't fathom a logical narrative where the MCU is a meaningful component of whatever resale value calculation would be important to me. But hey, you do you.

Buying a Tesla is like buying a computer or cell phone. You would be always waiting if you wanted the latest.
Sure, but at least with something like an iPhone you know that Apple always announces in September, so I'd never personally buy one in August. There's some predictability. We're on the cusp of seeing widespread Ryzen deployment, which for the vast majority of the Tesla buying population might be completely irrelevant, but for those of us who value it, it's definitely worth waiting for IMO.

Reactions: backlash224
Inevitable happened to me today. Bumped from Jan 10 - Feb 7 to Feb 7 - Mar 7.
OD: 11/11
MYP MSM / Black / Tow / No FSD
I spoke with my SA from Raleigh after my EDD switched (same exact EDDs you have). She said right now, that's what they're showing, but that they will have an updated EDD toward the middle of the month. Not really sure how to read that, as I've heard SAs often just try to make something up, but hoping there will be some updates in the next week or so (possibly coinciding with an announcement about Giga Austin?). Either way, since we have very similar configurations, it seems our cars will be made around the same time in the same factory!

Reactions: humbucker87
I spoke with my SA from Raleigh after my EDD switched (same exact EDDs you have). She said right now, that's what they're showing, but that they will have an updated EDD toward the middle of the month. Not really sure how to read that, as I've heard SAs often just try to make something up, but hoping there will be some updates in the next week or so (possibly coinciding with an announcement about Giga Austin?). Either way, since we have very similar configurations, it seems our cars will be made around the same time in the same factory!
Raleight and Atlanta are probably close. My EDD is now 1/31-2/28, so very close to you guys as well.

OD: 11/6
MYP MSM / Black / No Tow/ No FSD

In 5 years not one person will even know the difference. They will know it as a 2022. Period.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! Will be fun to track. Not sure what I'll do to fill my time once the car is actually here :p

In 5 years not one person will even know the difference. They will know it as a 2022. Period.
Possibly that's true with the body casting and dual-glass, but there will be a massive difference between the Intel Atom and the Ryzen that will only exponentially increase in the years to come. Tesla's in-car apps are just going to get bigger and better, but the Atom is already essentially at its limit with this current-gen of apps. It simply won't be able to keep up in the years to come. And unfortunately the evidence of the Atom's effect is sitting in the UI itself right in front of the driver, and it will be one of the very first things a potential purchaser sees as they monkey with the MCU.

It's the same concept as cell phones. Cell phones have in essence a planned obsolescence, not because the hardware is designed to fail (although that is up for debate), but because the apps of tomorrow are built to take full advantage of increased processors capabilities that older cell phones simply don't have. If you tried running today's apps on an Iphone 4, that thing would barely work because its hardware is a small percentage of the current gen's capabilities. And I see no reason it would be any different for Teslas in the next 3-5 years.

I really want a Ryzen. Will I reject a car without it? Probably not. But will it markedly impact my re-sell if I hold onto it for more than 2 years? Almost certainly.

Reactions: StatVirus and txguy
Possibly that's true with the body casting and dual-glass, but there will be a massive difference between the Intel Atom and the Ryzen that will only exponentially increase in the years to come. Tesla's in-car apps are just going to get bigger and better, but the Atom is already essentially at its limit with this current-gen of apps. It simply won't be able to keep up in the years to come. And unfortunately the evidence of the Atom's effect is sitting in the UI itself right in front of the driver, and it will be one of the very first things a potential purchaser sees as they monkey with the MCU.

It's the same concept as cell phones. Cell phones have in essence a planned obsolescence, not because the hardware is designed to fail (although that is up for debate), but because the apps of tomorrow are built to take full advantage of increased processors capabilities that older cell phones simply don't have. If you tried running today's apps on an Iphone 4, that thing would barely work because its hardware is a small percentage of the current gen's capabilities. And I see no reason it would be any different for Teslas in the next 3-5 years.

I really want a Ryzen. Will I reject a car without it? Probably not. But will it markedly impact my re-sell if I hold onto it for more than 2 years? Almost certainly.
Again not ONE person compares an Iphone 13 to an Iphone 6. It will be the same thing. Sure a 2027 will be leaps better than a 2022. However when comparing a 2022 to another 2022 (as the OP was doing when I quoted him/her) in 5 years NOTHING above will be considered prior to purchase. It will be color, miles and condition that will determine the price not an "AMD" 2022 vs a "Intel" 2022. That person buying will have zero clue the difference.

Reactions: Ray_R and Tuccing

In 5 years there will be 2-3 new generations of CPU's that run loops around the Ryzen. Do 8-9 year old Model S's not function anymore? Of course they do, and so will Atom Y and 3's.

What we're talking about here largely affects gaming/browsing and other stuff you do while the car is not in motion. Not sure how much time you spend in a parked / idle car, but for me that time is fairly minimal, and never without my mobile phone.

If it were the aggregate of all the things I originally mentioned, it would be more understandable. But the Atom vs Ryzen thing is pretty laughable and ridiculous IMHO.

Reactions: Ray_R and Tuccing
Again not ONE person compares an Iphone 13 to an Iphone 6. It will be the same thing. Sure a 2027 will be leaps better than a 2022. However when comparing a 2022 to another 2022 (as the OP was doing when I quoted him/her) in 5 years NOTHING above will be considered prior to purchase. It will be color, miles and condition that will determine the price not an "AMD" 2022 vs a "Intel" 2022. That person buying will have zero clue the difference.
2022 will be interesting. Unless something dramatically changes we are talking about 3 iterations:

Original 2022 (Intel, etc)
Mid 2022 (Ryzen, LiIon, maybe a few other items)
Late 2022 (Megacast front, 4680s, Ryzen, etc)

The Mid 2022s (assuming they are more than an anomaly) will be lost in the shuffle. For resale purposes the only thing that matters will be if you are 4680 or not. And even that remains to be seen if it brings driver benefit or just production benefit.

But just like color or any other option, every one has their preference. I’ll be pissed in a year if I don’t get some feature because I’m Intel. But for now it’s a “nice to have” for me. I won’t reject the car if it doesn’t have Ryzen.

In 5 years there will be 2-3 new generations of CPU's that run loops around the Ryzen. Do 8-9 year old Model S's not function anymore? Of course they do, and so will Atom Y and 3's.

What we're talking about here largely affects gaming/browsing and other stuff you do while the car is not in motion. Not sure how much time you spend in a parked / idle car, but for me that time is fairly minimal, and never without my mobile phone.

If it were the aggregate of all the things I originally mentioned, it would be more understandable. But the Atom vs Ryzen thing is pretty laughable and ridiculous IMHO.
I am fully aware that 2022 MYPs will continue to function well into the future. That is not my point.

My point was that the Intel Atom will have a noticeably more difficult time running apps than the Ryzen in several years that a potential purchaser will recognize. The fact that additional generations of CPUs will be out in several years seems to just further that point, since that is going to accelerate the "processing gap" between what the Atom can handle versus the future-gen CPUs.

The question then is what kind of apps that will impact? And truth be told, we really don't know. Yes, for now Tesla's big CPU drainers are the "parked apps," but none of us in this forum have any idea where Tesla goes with its apps from here or whether the CPU will play a major factor in other areas of functionality like Maps/Nav/FSD in the future. It certainly seems likely.

I don't know that its "laughable" for people to be concerned about that. Like I said, I'm not rejecting my MYP if it has an Atom. But I also expect it will impact my resale price if I wait beyond two years to sell for the reasons I mentioned, especially if Tesla starts expanding the universe of apps/functionality that heavily rely on faster and faster CPUs.

By the way… my Model 3 was a mid generation. I missed Gen 2 HW by a couple months and after 1.5 years stopped getting new features like stop signs and street lights displaying in the overview. It didn’t affect the use of the car, you just didn’t get the new stuff.

Honestly some of it is just stay off the forums. The less you look for what you don’t have, the less you realize what you don’t have. :D:D