Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Supercharging data for 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was never slow. Always full rate of charge. Obviously a 90 is going to take incrementally longer to charge than an 85.

I read in some thread where the rate of charge was slower than the 85D. I think bjorn had a YouTube video on it comparing before and after the update. But it was for a x90d though. After the update. The 90Kwh battery was charging way faster And even faster than the 85Kwh despite having more capacity. However I don't know if you needed a more recent 90Kwh battery to get the faster charging rate.

I'll look for the link.

Here is the link on the upgraded supercharging. If it's not faster than the 85KWh, then I guess the firmware update hasn't increase the supercharging rate for some 90D.

Sorry, I love Bjorn but I don't really want to spend the time watching one of his longer videos. I'll say this though 1) I usually get around 250 miles per hour same as my friends with 85's 2) the speed is variable by location, cabinet, paired or not and SoC. If your saying people are getting up to15% more with refreshed 90's that's fine. Tesla still shows the same speeds so that would be strange but the same variables stated above would apply. Also, I've noticed different firmware has made small changes adding and subtracting to the total time and phasing further adding to the variable nature of this.

Sorry, I love Bjorn but I don't really want to spend the time watching one of his longer videos. I'll say this though 1) I usually get around 250 miles per hour same as my friends with 85's 2) the speed is variable by location, cabinet, paired or not and SoC. If your saying people are getting up to15% more with refreshed 90's that's fine. Tesla still shows the same speeds so that would be strange but the same variables stated above would apply. Also, I've noticed different firmware has made small changes adding and subtracting to the total time and phasing further adding to the variable nature of this.
Fair enough on the video. But I'm summarize.

Before the firmware update, the 90KWh would supercharge slightly slower than 85KWh. I suspect this is what you are getting from what you told me.

After the firmware update, the 90KWh would supercharge significantly faster than 85KWh. Again if you watch the video.

The new charge curve after the update was much more like a cellphone's charge curve where it's constant Amps all the way up until 60+% full and then it start to taper off. Compared to the 85KWh is decreasing Amp right away. This was compared from when both are at a really low SOC. This is for your FYI. But thanks for the replies. I want to get other's response to see if tesla really did unlock the faster supercharging curve for ALL 90KWh or just for the later ones. This will determine if I should buy new or inventory.

Fair enough on the video. But I'm summarize.

Before the firmware update, the 90KWh would supercharge slightly slower than 85KWh. I suspect this is what you are getting from what you told me.

After the firmware update, the 90KWh would supercharge significantly faster than 85KWh. Again if you watch the video.

The new charge curve after the update was much more like a cellphone's charge curve where it's constant Amps all the way up until 60+% full and then it start to taper off. Compared to the 85KWh is decreasing Amp right away. This was compared from when both are at a really low SOC. This is for your FYI. But thanks for the replies. I want to get other's response to see if tesla really did unlock the faster supercharging curve for ALL 90KWh or just for the later ones. This will determine if I should buy new or inventory.
You should also ask for the battery part numbers before you buy. There are a few different versions with progressively better capacity.

Here is the link on the upgraded supercharging. If it's not faster than the 85KWh, then I guess the firmware update hasn't increase the supercharging rate for some 90D.

I just almost exactly replicated the 90kWh curve Bjorn got here on my late 2015 pack with 2.36.108. Is there a thread with that graph? Charging starts clearly being current limited from ~20% to 292A, so power keeps rising with voltage until 45% where it takes a huge dip. Road temps were at 75F. This seems more like a bug than a feature. Other 90 packs achieve full power much lower than 20%, and then of course fall off later. But it seems the area under the curve should be substantially bigger. Given it's been about 4 months, I don't think Tesla is working on it.

upload_2016-10-18_17-53-42.png

upload_2016-10-18_17-55-52.png