Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent X75D purchase range anxiety vs purchasing today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searching for that isn't conclusive since even I'm this thread you have people like me who get 50% range and you have others who say they are beating EPA ratings. How would you know which to believe?

Back to the original post the problem here is that Model S70D is rated 240 EPA miles, Model X75D is rated 240 EPA miles yet the X75D gets far fewer real world miles than the S70D I owned. You would expect them to get the same real world miles (not necessarily 240 but same lower amount) if they have the same rating.

Well, you do have to research a little more robustly, but the info is all out there and was no surprise to me. I get anything from around 120 to 200 miles range depending on conditions and type of driving. That's fine for my use, but it's not going to work for everyone. No access to overnight charging or an extended commute are both likely to cause significant hassles with an MX 75D.

It is a bit odd that the S and X appear to have the same EPA rating, given the substantial difference in weight and frontal area. It's pretty common knowledge on these forums that the X has a higher consumption in the real world as you might expect. Abetterrouteplanner.com is a good site to compare them side by side on actual routes you take regularly.

Searching for that isn't conclusive since even I'm this thread you have people like me who get 50% range and you have others who say they are beating EPA ratings. How would you know which to believe?

Back to the original post the problem here is that Model S70D is rated 240 EPA miles, Model X75D is rated 240 EPA miles yet the X75D gets far fewer real world miles than the S70D I owned. You would expect them to get the same real world miles (not necessarily 240 but same lower amount) if they have the same rating.

The EPA test is not a perfect comparison. The EPA test for highway is based on a max speed of 60 MPH. Also it is run in a room on a dynometer where drag is not effectively tested. And a car with higher drag coefficient, like a big SUV compared to sleek sedan, will suffer more in the real world, especially as speed increases.

Last edited:
Reactions: gangzoom
EPA range on the X is quite achievable in summer, even bettered especially some where like the UK where we have generally slower roads due to traffic etc.

Speeds of over 60mph is what kills range on the X. It really doesn't matter if you havd a 60/75/90/100D X, all these cars drop their range like a stone if you stay at 80mph on the Mways.

Here in the UK the national speed limit is 70mph, at 70mph a 75D X will do 210-220miles.

I've just done a 100 mile trip into a 40mph headwind, rain all the way, started on 90% and arrived with 36%. Drove at 65mph all the way, expect for when traffic wouldn't allow which for anyone who uses the M1/M25 knows how variable traffic is. But even in pretty awful road conditions seeing a range of 190 miles.

46114865355_2f054f29da_z_d.jpg

I did 6.5K in our 60D X before it was written off, than another 4k in a 90D X loaner, and now 19K in 75D X. Even in the worst UK winter I've never seen range less than 150 miles on a long run, in summer 200 miles.

On my regular short commutes the consumption is much higher, but on those trips range really doesn't matter. My regular practice is to charge up to 80% daily, and even than I've never ended a work day with less than 30% SOC regardless of the weather.

A 75D X has more than enough range for UK owners, I cannot say the same is ture for US owners where distances and speeds are much longer/quicker.

EPA range on the X is quite achievable in summer, even bettered especially some where like the UK where we have generally slower roads due to traffic etc.

Speeds of over 60mph is what kills range on the X. It really doesn't matter if you havd a 60/75/90/100D X, all these cars drop their range like a stone if you stay at 80mph on the Mways.

When it is warm outside, that's invariably true. When it is cold outside, going faster means you use less power heating the vehicle, which can balance out a lot of the losses, depending on the speeds we're talking about and on how close you tailgate. :)

The root cause of the problem is that both the S70D and X75D have 240 miles EPA rated but in real world usage the X gets far less real miles than the S.

I'm regretting that this car does not get the same mileage as my S (same conditions, same winter, same charging scenario, same work commute daily) even though they have the same mileage rating on the Tesla website.

Is there anyone else who has owned both and has had the same experience?
I have rented a MX90D, drove it from UK to Switzerland and back. I own an S75D here in Australia.
I must say, I was quite surprised at how inefficient the X was compared to the S. I am sure I get better range out of my S75D than from the X90D, even with the bigger battery in the X.
The X is a great car, but the S is definitely superior as a tourer.

Reactions: MJGolf
This is the kind of typical journey times in the UK. 110 miles, just over 2 hrs.

Started with 66% SOC, so roughly 200 miles 100-0% range at 6degress Celsius travelling at the legal speed limit, 65-70mph when no traffic/road works.

But a 200 mile run on the UK motorway network would be 3-4hrs of non stop driving, which with a 3 year old toddler in the back is pretty much equivalent to psychological torture :).

Certainty for our use cannot complain about the range of the 75D X.

46127012005_bf80eaf83a_z_d.jpg

SO I was in Truckee this weekend and 80 was closed... so we took the long road and decided to do a road trip out to Reno -> SOuth Tahoe -> El Dorado Forrest -> San Jose... whew.

I charged up to 280 "rated" range in RENO, took the 580 to 395 to 88 to 89 to 50 and landed in Folsom for charging. By the time I arrived in Folsom I had 112 "rated" range left. It was around 15-30 degree F. AND a lot of slowdown due to the 80 closure and reroute of other traffic.

upload_2019-2-13_13-31-42.png