Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent X75D purchase range anxiety vs purchasing today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can never time things properly but I'm personally disappointed in my purchase of a X 75D in September versus what I would have been able to purchase today with the most recent range announcement. For the same price I could have purchased a car with 270 rated miles versus 238.

I purchased a X 75D in September and have been struggling with the range on this vehicle. I owned a S 70D for 3 years right before and the efficiency of the X is horrendous. Since September I've been getting half the rated mileage or less. Where range anxiety wasn't an issue, I now have to charge my car consistency since I get 100 miles of range per charge. I even swapped out the 22" rims for the 20" in the first month to get more range.

Factors that contribute to my range loss are the cold weather in Boston and that I don't charge overnight, but those same factors were also there when I owned my Model S.

Additionally the new vehicles will likely have 72 amp onboard charger instead of 48A if they're simplifying the builds, which is another benefit of the new vehicles. I didn't realize the 75D had a 48A charger though I'm sure it was on the website and I missed it.

While I love the Tesla brand the X75D has really been a disappointment based on the efficiency. The change in base vehicle range is the right move for Tesla but some of us who purchased in the last 6 months really got the short end of the stick. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I'm sure I'll get the standard "Tesla is always innovating" and "would another company give you features in the future" responses. I'm a Tesla fan as is evident by purchasing a second one. My issues stem from the actual miles I get out of my X 75D.

Reactions: MJGolf
you got 7500 federal rebate from getting the car in Sept for 3750 if you got it now.

you can sell your current Tesla and get a new model x.

you wont be out that much money.

Do you have any suggestions on where I could sell the X and get an idea of market value with depreciation since September? I find it hard to sell a $100k car directly since most people don't get private car loans for that amount whereas they can get the loan easily from an auto dealership. Just my experience. I would also lose the sales tax of 6.25% and the destination fee. You are correct that I gained $3750 by purchasing then versus now. I do think I would lose quite a bit by selling in under 6 months since most depreciation happens up front.

Reactions: MJGolf
Since you joined the forum 6 years ago, I'm guessing that you really knew the issues as you bought the new car and are now regretting your decision.

The other way to look at it, it's winter, you know the rules will change in summer.

While getting half the rated efficiency isn't unheard of in the winter, I don't think that it's the norm. Is there anything in your driving or charging routine that may have been okay on the S, is now questionable on the X?

Have you owned expensive cars before? It's pretty common for bid-ask spread at dealership (meaning the difference between trade-in vs. what they will mark the car at) to be higher than 10k because it's pretty hard to sell expensive cars privately... Like how many people can pay cash for a 70-80k used car or privately call their bank to get a car loan for that much? And honestly those people tend to buy new cars instead of pre-owned. The > $50k pre-owned market is not liquid and even more so as you go higher in that range (excluding special cars and certain exotics).

Honestly the 3750 is meaningless at this point. The 100D is essentially significantly cheaper. The tax credit difference doesn't even cover your sales tax. You would take a total bloodbath if you were to try to sell the car right now.

Also new battery is really right around the corner... it honestly would be stupid to buy the 100D today. Both the Model S and X will see heavy depreciation when the new battery versions (probably longer range) come out.

• Helpful
Reactions: MJGolf and GSP
it's pretty hard to sell expensive cars privately... Like how many people can pay cash for a 70-80k used car or privately call their bank to get a car loan for that much? And honestly those people tend to buy new cars instead of pre-owned. The > $50k pre-owned market is not liquid and even more so as you go higher in that range (excluding special cars and certain exotics).

I completely agree with this and was trying to make the same point above. You can't just sell this car and not be out much money, the logistics don't work that way.

Since you joined the forum 6 years ago, I'm guessing that you really knew the issues as you bought the new car and are now regretting your decision.

The root cause of the problem is that both the S70D and X75D have 240 miles EPA rated but in real world usage the X gets far less real miles than the S.

I'm regretting that this car does not get the same mileage as my S (same conditions, same winter, same charging scenario, same work commute daily) even though they have the same mileage rating on the Tesla website.

Is there anyone else who has owned both and has had the same experience?

I have the x75d on lease. I think leases are a better choice for the very reasons you're describing now especially with the new technology that is ever-changing. I don't find charging to be that big a deal and I don't even have a garage. Do you charge at home? If so what's the difference on range unless you have to commonly drive 150 miles in a day? also I live in Boston and I'm generally not that concerned. I drive with a heavy foot and always
pre warm my car hot before I drive. If you want to forget about range anxiety switch the display over to percent instead of Miles. Also you cancan probably drive a solid amount of miles after it reaches zero. However don't get mad at me if you try it and run out! from my perspective, the issue about what sales come up after you buy something is coming in every industry. I would just forget about it and enjoy your car. It'sIt's the coolest and most fun car on the road.

I have the x75d on lease. I think leases are a better choice for the very reasons you're describing now especially with the new technology that is ever-changing. I don't find charging to be that big a deal and I don't even have a garage. Do you charge at home? If so what's the difference on range unless you have to commonly drive 150 miles in a day? also I live in Boston and I'm generally not that concerned. I drive with a heavy foot and always
pre warm my car hot before I drive. If you want to forget about range anxiety switch the display over to percent instead of Miles. Also you cancan probably drive a solid amount of miles after it reaches zero. However don't get mad at me if you try it and run out! from my perspective, the issue about what sales come up after you buy something is coming in every industry. I would just forget about it and enjoy your car. It'sIt's the coolest and most fun car on the road.
Agree with this 1000x

Tesla discontinued the 72A on board chargers for single-phase markets (USA/CAN/MX/JAPAN), so even if you bought a 100D now it'd still only have a 48A charger. When you get into the summertime, the 75D will have closer to the range that you'd expect. Only suggestion i would have is to try and find a way to charge everynight so that this becomes a non-issue. Even with 150 miles of range, that's enough to cover my daily commute for several days.

Reactions: GSP
You can never time things properly but I'm personally disappointed in my purchase of a X 75D in September versus what I would have been able to purchase today with the most recent range announcement. For the same price I could have purchased a car with 270 rated miles versus 238.

I purchased a X 75D in September and have been struggling with the range on this vehicle. I owned a S 70D for 3 years right before and the efficiency of the X is horrendous. Since September I've been getting half the rated mileage or less. Where range anxiety wasn't an issue, I now have to charge my car consistency since I get 100 miles of range per charge. I even swapped out the 22" rims for the 20" in the first month to get more range.

Factors that contribute to my range loss are the cold weather in Boston and that I don't charge overnight, but those same factors were also there when I owned my Model S.

Additionally the new vehicles will likely have 72 amp onboard charger instead of 48A if they're simplifying the builds, which is another benefit of the new vehicles. I didn't realize the 75D had a 48A charger though I'm sure it was on the website and I missed it.

While I love the Tesla brand the X75D has really been a disappointment based on the efficiency. The change in base vehicle range is the right move for Tesla but some of us who purchased in the last 6 months really got the short end of the stick. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I'm sure I'll get the standard "Tesla is always innovating" and "would another company give you features in the future" responses. I'm a Tesla fan as is evident by purchasing a second one. My issues stem from the actual miles I get out of my X 75D.

I get under 100 miles per charge (about 90-92%) with conservative driving.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Just a quick question, do you have a garage and keep the car plugged in overnight? It could help to keep the battery warm in Boston. I have an X and compared to an S, definitely get less range due to the weight of the vehicle. I live in San Francisco but also go up to Truckee\Tahoe quite a bit. This winter and last I've always left it plugged into even a 110v at the family cabin in the garage to keep the battery warmed up, not necessarily to charge. 110v gets 2-3 miles/hour so that's quite HYlarious. Keeping the battery warm can probably get you a little bit more on the range in the mornings. Turn on Range Mode and use the seat warmers. I've heard that the seat warmers are more efficient than the HVAC, but don't quote me on that, it's just what I've read!

I can't speak for the trade-in but you might be able to negotiate it out for a demo or service model 100D. If I was you that would be what I would look at. In some ways mileage on an EV means a lot less than an ICE vehicle, no "transmission", no engine, belts, etc. The Tesla motors have been proven to go over a million miles with no issues based on their testing. In addition brake pads... I think I can probably go 10 years without ever changing that since regenerative braking is used so often.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelhc

Under 100 miles per charge??? WTF, how cold is it where you live, and are you driving with your foot planted to the floor??

Even if you change to a 100D you woudlnt see much range improvement if your truly getting 100 miles a charge, may be 135 miles.

Maybe EVs are not suited to your driving style.

The absolute lowest range I get from our 75D here in the UK is 150 miles in winter.

Last summer I tried driving at 60-65mph instead of 70-75mph and managed to see a BEAT the EPA rating, the total journey time was also only 17 mintues longer than Google Maps predicted.

41088731130_f369305b66_k_d.jpg

41088717230_2520c9a00a_b_d.jpg

This winter and last I've always left it plugged into even a 110v at the family cabin in the garage to keep the battery warmed up, not necessarily to charge. 110v gets 2-3 miles/hour so that's quite HYlarious. Keeping the battery warm can probably get you a little bit more on the range in the mornings.

This is a good tip and one I'll implement. I'm definitely getting far less range with the X than the S. For some reason I was under the assumption that if they have the same rated EPA range they should get the same real world range. Any idea why we're seeing that this is not the case?

Same here. I'm getting under 100 and I'm not speeding or stomping on the accelerator.

A prime example is yesterday I drove 24 miles and used 55 miles worth of battery (according to TeslaFi) which is 44% efficiency. Even in the worst cold my model S wouldn't use up 2.3x of the mileage.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
Same here. I'm getting under 100 and I'm not speeding or stomping on the accelerator.

A prime example is yesterday I drove 24 miles and used 55 miles worth of battery (according to TeslaFi) which is 44% efficiency. Even in the worst cold my model S wouldn't use up 2.3x of the mileage.

Wow - you might want to have Tesla check the battery! Even in cold, about 37 degrees F (freezing) it's not that bad for me. Do you have your HVAC blasting out along with all the seat warmers, steering wheel etc. going? Let me put it this way, my drive from Rocklin up to Truckee is approximately 80 miles. It will be a mountain climb from approximately 250 feet to approximately 5900 feet and based on the conditions of a) uphill, b) cold (50 degrees to 37 degrees), c) some sustained high speed (80 mph) approximately 140 miles of "rated" range is used up. So if I'm charged up to 240 by the time I reach our cabin in Donner Pass I'll have about 100 left. This is for the winter.

Are you running 22" wheels? for winters, 19" wheels will fair better. Are you plowing through snow as well? Definitely have your battery checked out though. I wonder if they can do that diagnostic remotely or if mobile services can come out to take a look.

upload_2019-1-31_7-44-35.png

oh found this great article on Teslarati: Tips for staying warm in your Tesla this winter without killing battery range

TESLA SUBZERO WEATHER PACKAGE + HVAC ENERGY CONSUMPTION
Energy consumption has been broken down by feature. Total energy consumption can be added together based on the number of features that are enabled.

Assuming a consumption of 333Wh/mile, we can compute the approximate range loss at miles per hour (mph) as a result of having these heating features on.

• Baseline (vehicle at rest but powered up): 247 Wh = .74 mph
  • Defroster (rear window & side mirror heaters): 285 Wh = .86 mph
  • Steering Wheel Heater: 95 Wh = .29 mph
  • Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh = .29 mph
  • 1 Seat Heater: 57 Wh = .17 mph
  • 2 Seat Heaters: 133 Wh = .40 mph
  • 3 Seat Heaters: 171 Wh = .51 mph
  • 4 Seat Heaters: 209 Wh = .63 mph
  • 5 Seat Heaters: 247 Wh = .74 mph
  • HVAC at ‘HI’ or 82F (28C): 6.4 kWh = ~18-20 mph
  • HVAC at 74F (23C): 342 Wh = 1.03 mph

Do you have rear HVAC running or only the front? Your quoted example shows a Wh/mi of 687.5, which is higher than I typically see. In terms of S to X comparables, when I go from driving my S85D to my wife's X75D, I see around +50ish Wh/mi, so not to the extent of a difference you have seen.

I have the x75d on lease. I think leases are a better choice for the very reasons you're describing now especially with the new technology that is ever-changing....

Exactly. And one reason why we leased. The technology in EV cars is just starting to evolve. In 2+ years, when my lease is done, I expect they will routinely be EVs with 400 mile range and 140-180 KW batteries. They may not be from Tesla, but they will be out there.