Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent X75D purchase range anxiety vs purchasing today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turn off the rear HVAC to save power. I'll have the heat set to 70-72F, seat heater on just the drivers seat set to the lowest level (1 out of 3 intensity) and the steering wheel on for maybe one trip a day.

alkfung you're information has been really helpful as a comparison point. To answer your question I'm running the 20s and not going through snow. Somehow we've been lucky enough to have only had two snowstorms this year in Boston.

I'm going to contact Tesla to see if they can run diagnostics on the battery.

I have never seen the range go under 240km/150mi myself, but I guess there is no limit how low it can go if you only drive 10mi sections and let it cool down. The consumption for the first 30mi is horrible, even with preheating. Heaven forbid how bad it can be without. If this is what you do, use the range mode, it should help a bit. Having the 100 pack indeed would not help much.

Reactions: gangzoom
I’ll drive my X75D 65 miles round trip in single degree or colder (below zero), in Chicago, and make it home using less than 40% of the battery. That includes a good 20-30 minute preheat at work before the drive home.

That’s on the very extreme end of that spectrum. Would i pay to have an extrea 60 miles of range? I wouldn’t dip into that for 99% of my driving, so I’ll say nah. Then again, I have the cloth seats and love em, took those away too!

you're welcome alb. I run 20"s on the OEM all-season CrossContacts. out of curiosity based on your tripmeter, what does it show for your power utilization (Distance, avg and total used). If i recall, i'm about 450Wh/mi or so and that is with three adults in the car for that climb. Good luck on the Tesla support, i think you can open a ticket through the web as well when you log into the portal.

Under 100 miles per charge??? WTF, how cold is it where you live, and are you driving with your foot planted to the floor??

Even if you change to a 100D you woudlnt see much range improvement if your truly getting 100 miles a charge, may be 135 miles.

Maybe EVs are not suited to your driving style.

The absolute lowest range I get from our 75D here in the UK is 150 miles in winter.

Last summer I tried driving at 60-65mph instead of 70-75mph and managed to see a BEAT the EPA rating, the total journey time was also only 17 mintues longer than Google Maps predicted.

41088731130_f369305b66_k_d.jpg

41088717230_2520c9a00a_b_d.jpg

I should have specified that under 100 miles without letting the charge fall below 20% Still not good and already contacted SC to check what's going on. I drive pretty conservatively, rarely go over 69 on freeways, never floored the car thus far either. I am in NorCal and doesn't get that cold.

I should have specified that under 100 miles without letting the charge fall below 20% Still not good and already contacted SC to check what's going on. I drive pretty conservatively, rarely go over 69 on freeways, never floored the car thus far either. I am in NorCal and doesn't get that cold.

What SOC do you charge to? And are you doing long stints of 100 miles or multiple short trips over several days?

In warm weather at a steady 70mph as confirmed on trip computer a 75D X will do 200 miles on a charge with a consumption of just over 3 miles per kWh.

42801048185_19f013c331_z_d.jpg

However in stationary traffic, heating up a cold car your looking at a range of 70 miles with consumption as high as 1 mile per kWh!!

As you can see for my day to day commute at present my X returns about 100 miles per charge if you look at energy use since last charge!!! In stop-start traffic the X is a power hungry beast, after all it takes alot of energy to move a 2.5ton+ machine and heat up the huge interior space.

46800366712_f51bdccc5a_z_d.jpg

But the later situation isn't an issue as it would take 10hrs to do 70 miles at 7mph, and if you charge at home after your commute who cares about consumption.

The former situation is the only time I care about range, so for long trips at highway speeds. Which for me living in England means 150-200 miles gets me pretty much anywhere I need to go.

Last edited:
What SOC do you charge to? And are you doing long stints of 100 miles or multiple short trips over several days?

In warm weather at a steady 70mph as confirmed on trip computer a 75D X will do 200 miles on a charge with a consumption of just over 3 miles per kWh.

42801048185_19f013c331_z_d.jpg

However in stationary traffic, heating up a cold car your looking at a range of 70 miles with consumption as high as 1 mile per kWh!!

As you can see for my day to day commute at present my X returns about 100 miles per charge if you look at energy use since last charge!!! In stop-start traffic the X is a power hungry beast, after all it takes alot of energy to move a 2.5ton+ machine and heat up the huge interior space.

46800366712_f51bdccc5a_z_d.jpg

But the later situation isn't an issue as it would take 10hrs to do 70 miles at 7mph, and if you charge at home after your commute who cares about consumption.

The former situation is the only time I care about range, so for long trips at highway speeds. Which for me living in England means 150-200 miles gets me pretty much anywhere I need to go.
Holy Crap! 980 Wh/mi..... 3.4miles in 24 minutes! If you were in central London that would be about an hour in rush hour traffic! That's why I just use the Underground when in town...

Not London just Leicester, to be honest pretty much every single big city in the world is the same. LA, NewYork, Mumbai, Dehli, Dubai, Shanghai, HK, traffic is one thing everyone understands, but its one massive reason why we need to switch to EVs. Yes you still use energy for not moving but it far less than ideling any combustion engine powered vehicle.

45937861865_cdb32b05cd_z_d.jpg

In socal from 90% to 10% on a x75d I get 140 to 145 miles. Absolutely terrible efficiency.

In cold weather boston I could see how 100 mile range would be a realistic range.

At what speed
That explains why it says 4°C. :)

Yeah but one is fixable by a setting. The other requires a hacksaw and a torch (and I mean the type with flames, no a light bulb).

Factors that contribute to my range loss are the cold weather in Boston and that I don't charge overnight, but those same factors were also there when I owned my Model S.

I wouldn't even consider owning an EV without overnight charging. It's what makes it practical for me, especially the huge beast that the MX is! In the UK I get between 120 and 200 miles range out of my MX 75D depending on conditions, which has always been fine with an overnight charge. On longer trips were range is critical I tend to get closer to the 200 mile range. It's not so bad.

The new software limited 100D wouldn't actually suit me as I would be simply carrying extra battery weight around for no reason, but for others that small increase in range and faster charging could be critical. Unfortunately it looks like you are in that latter camp I'm afraid!

You can never time things properly but I'm personally disappointed in my purchase of a X 75D in September versus what I would have been able to purchase today with the most recent range announcement. For the same price I could have purchased a car with 270 rated miles versus 238.

I purchased a X 75D in September and have been struggling with the range on this vehicle. I owned a S 70D for 3 years right before and the efficiency of the X is horrendous. Since September I've been getting half the rated mileage or less. Where range anxiety wasn't an issue, I now have to charge my car consistency since I get 100 miles of range per charge. I even swapped out the 22" rims for the 20" in the first month to get more range.

Factors that contribute to my range loss are the cold weather in Boston and that I don't charge overnight, but those same factors were also there when I owned my Model S.

Additionally the new vehicles will likely have 72 amp onboard charger instead of 48A if they're simplifying the builds, which is another benefit of the new vehicles. I didn't realize the 75D had a 48A charger though I'm sure it was on the website and I missed it.

While I love the Tesla brand the X75D has really been a disappointment based on the efficiency. The change in base vehicle range is the right move for Tesla but some of us who purchased in the last 6 months really got the short end of the stick. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I'm sure I'll get the standard "Tesla is always innovating" and "would another company give you features in the future" responses. I'm a Tesla fan as is evident by purchasing a second one. My issues stem from the actual miles I get out of my X 75D.

I'm in the same situation. I bought the X75D and took delivery last year on 9/28. It's certainly has been very disappointing in terms of the constant charging on a daily basis 2-3 times per day that I have to do with the X75. I have a 190-mile commute daily. Wow! It has certainly been a quick wake-up call. I know I will be getting rid of the X75D soon, holding out to find out what's going on with Model Y and learning more about Rivian.

I completely agree with this and was trying to make the same point above. You can't just sell this car and not be out much money, the logistics don't work that way.

Just last week I went to Tesla and they quoted me somewhere between $80k-$84k. They told me that I can go to CarMax and if CarMax can give me a higher amount then Tesla will honor it as well. It's indeed a huge loss considering the car only has 4k miles.

Sounds like you didn't do your homework before choosing an X75D for that kind of duty! The very first thing I did before buying ours was Google "real world Tesla MX 75D range".

Searching for that isn't conclusive since even I'm this thread you have people like me who get 50% range and you have others who say they are beating EPA ratings. How would you know which to believe?

Back to the original post the problem here is that Model S70D is rated 240 EPA miles, Model X75D is rated 240 EPA miles yet the X75D gets far fewer real world miles than the S70D I owned. You would expect them to get the same real world miles (not necessarily 240 but same lower amount) if they have the same rating.