Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for 2022 EVs other than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Maui Girl - way back in 2018 l replaced my 2015 Leaf with a Model 3. omg, the best consumer move I have ever made. it's night and day. keep the faith. Otherwise its a crapshoot depending on where you live. Down here in the boondocks of NC, you have your choice of a Leaf, Bolt, Mustang? (i have yet to see one), a VW/Audi (again, yet to actually see one in the wild), a BMW, and, very surprisingly, a Kia Niro which might not be bad, but... trust me... it ain't no Tesla. I will admit this global supply chain, labor, demand mismatch is quite troubling.

hi @Maui Girl , as this original post started in Sept 2021, did you get something else other than Tesla? I am in the same boat. I have ordered a MYLR but it will not be delivered until end of this year (Dec 2022).

I went to a tesla for a walk-in test drive on M3 yesterday (Sunday). I did not think it would be difficult to do as we did the same when we did test drive on MYLR. Somehow, one of the SAs told me they did not have any M3 for test drive. However, he was kind and nice to show me his M3 and walked us thru. We did spend sometime to chat and understand more on the ordering process, delivery, and some interesting things he told us about big push on the qtr end sales. Anyway, we already ordered a MYLR in Feb, but interesting seeing M3P or MYP are being delivered so much quicker.
as we need 2 cars (currently, we are 1-car family. haha) in next 12 months, as we already ordered a MYLR, we are thinking about getting another EV.

I did some quick looks in the current EV markets. Ford, GM, Kia, hyundai, Fisker, BMW (and I am sure I missed some others). For Honda and Toyota, they won't have their EVs until 2023 so that is out of the picture for my consideration. It seems Hyundai IONIQ 5 is closer to my budget which it is inexpensive than M3LR. (and I know it is not an apple-to-apple comparison as one is SUV/Cross over and the other one is sedan). But once I add the AWD and might be some options that level the features between IONIQ 5 and M3LR, the MSRP becomes a bit closer. Hyundia qualifies for 7.5k Fed EV credit, but I am expecting (possible a wrong assumption) most if not all, Hyundai dealerships in So. Ca will have 5k-10k market adjustment price mark up. So at the end, the total price might be similar to just a bit less than M3LR.

I am not trying to brainwash myself to get another Tesla. However, does it make sense to have a MYLR, and M3LR, or MYLR (which we know we will buy it for sure for my wife), and find something else cheaper, or even a low budget ICE as a commute car?

I am getting tired of bring our current mini-van to dealership to get oil change and all other fluid change. I am currently sitting in a Honda Dealership to wait for them to look into the brake fluid leaking issue, and hopefully it is covered by the honda extended warranty I have purchased.

I also try to look into the charge network. I will charge 100% of the time except for the road trips. i checked the Electrify America, and ChargePort (sp?) seem they are spotty in So. Ca, but have not checked out out of states or beyond So. Ca.

Last edited:
hi @Maui Girl , as this original post started in Sept 2021, did you get something else other than Tesla? I am in the same boat. I have ordered a MYLR but it will not be delivered until end of this year (Dec 2022).

I went to a tesla for a walk-in test drive on M3 yesterday (Sunday). I did not think it would be difficult to do as we did the same when we did test drive on MYLR. Somehow, one of the SAs told me they did not have any M3 for test drive. However, he was kind and nice to show me his M3 and walked us thru. We did spend sometime to chat and understand more on the ordering process, delivery, and some interesting things he told us about big push on the qtr end sales. Anyway, we already ordered a MYLR in Feb, but interesting seeing M3P or MYP are being delivered so much quicker.
as we need 2 cars (currently, we are 1-car family. haha) in next 12 months, as we already ordered a MYLR, we are thinking about getting another EV.

I did some quick looks in the current EV markets. Ford, GM, Kia, hyundai, Fisker, BMW (and I am sure I missed some others). For Honda and Toyota, they won't have their EVs until 2023 so that is out of the picture for my consideration. It seems Hyundai IONIQ 5 is closer to my budget which it is inexpensive than M3LR. (and I know it is not an apple-to-apple comparison as one is SUV/Cross over and the other one is sedan). But once I add the AWD and might be some options that level the features between IONIQ 5 and M3LR, the MSRP becomes a bit closer. Hyundia qualifies for 7.5k Fed EV credit, but I am expecting (possible a wrong assumption) most if not all, Hyundai dealerships in So. Ca will have 5k-10k market adjustment price mark up. So at the end, the total price might be similar to just a bit less than M3LR.

I am not trying to brainwash myself to get another Tesla. However, does it make sense to have a MYLR, and M3LR, or MYLR (which we know we will buy it for sure for my wife), and find something else cheaper, or even a low budget ICE as a commute car?

I am getting tired of bring our current mini-van to dealership to get oil change and all other fluid change. I am currently sitting in a Honda Dealership to wait for them to look into the brake fluid leaking issue, and hopefully it is covered by the honda extended warranty I have purchased.

I also try to look into the charge network. I will charge 100% of the time except for the road trips. i checked the Electrify America, and ChargePort (sp?) seem they are spotty in So. Ca, but have not checked out out of states or beyond So. Ca.

Use Abetterrouteplanner.com. There are many other charging networks and a TON of them are littered everywhere in so-cal. EVGO is very large too also with very fast chargers. You can easily make do with EVs in California that are non-Teslas.

I love my MachE 4x. Had it 14 months. It's rated at 270 but I get 305 in ideal conditions. Well built and has been problem free. Wireless Apple Carplay and Android auto are a nice feature. Windows come deeply tinted. I love the large touch screen. I can't more highly recommend the car, especially with the tax credits and other incentives. I paid about $12500 under MSRP after all the credits.

MachE was my 1st EV. Now I'm in the market for another as my wife is sold after a year of solid dependability and road trips. Probably going Model 3 LR. A little smaller and great range. I kind of hate it that I would not have wireless Apple Car Play though. Even the Ioniq 5 which I love for the most part requires cable for Apple and Android. Weird choice by Hyundai.

Reactions: house9