Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for 2022 EVs other than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have recommendations for a 2022 Electric Vehicle other than Tesla?
Since my Tesla 3 is not due to be delivered till Feb 2022, I now have time to research other options.
I am not pleased with the Advisor assigned to me and am now reading about all the problems Tesla owners have post sale - lots.
I have a Nissan Leaf, which I can keep till I get a new EV, so can take my time.
I live on Maui, so don't go long distances, unless I drive all the way around the island.
Please give me your recommendations of EVs to look into... Thanks

Aloha!

"All the problems Tesla owners have post sale" is generally exaggerated in online forums and on Twitter, particularly the latter where anti-Tesla trolls amplify and generate their own negativity toward the product.

My experience as a Model 3 owner since August, 2018 has been very good. The service experience isn't perfect, but neither were my service experiences at multiple big brand dealerships (Ford, Cadillac, Volkswagen). The car itself continues to exceed my expectations and is better now and more feature-rich than when we took delivery. 128,000 miles and loving it!

I'd encourage you to stick with your Tesla decision. If you want to cross-shop a few other EVs, I'd recommend having a drive in a VW ID.4 (Model Y shaped) and the Hyundai Ioniq EV (Prius-shaped). I'd also encourage you to test drive another Model 3 and perhaps a Model Y to refresh your perspective.

Enjoy Maui! I was born on Oahu and have yet to visit Maui.

and am now reading about all the problems Tesla owners have post sale - lots.

Rarely do people go online to rave about receiving uneventful customer service.

There is an old adage in marketing, a happy customer will tell 2 people if you are lucky. An angry customer will tell 15 (and this adage pre-dates social media).

As far as alternatives to Tesla, the Mustang Mach-E is worth looking at (as long as you don't mind the your local Ford dealer adding thousands in markup over MSRP). I'm not wow'd by the current VW ID.4, but I think VW ID platform has potential in the future. I also think the Hyundai Ioniq is worth looking at. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with Hyundai, if you can tolerate the too cute/quirky for their own good stying.

There is no alternative as of right now . Bad experience is what internet is for this days. My wife has her M3 for almost 3 years and she loves it. Our service experience was great and only problem we had was ac actuator fail which was warranty fixed. Also get white interior you won’t regret the looks and practicality in hot climate.
P.S.
Ok maybe check out Mini Cooper EV

Does anyone have recommendations for a 2022 Electric Vehicle other than Tesla?
Since my Tesla 3 is not due to be delivered till Feb 2022, I now have time to research other options.
I am not pleased with the Advisor assigned to me and am now reading about all the problems Tesla owners have post sale - lots.
I have a Nissan Leaf, which I can keep till I get a new EV, so can take my time.
I live on Maui, so don't go long distances, unless I drive all the way around the island.
Please give me your recommendations of EVs to look into... Thanks
Not sure what your budget is, but the only real competition at this juncture, IMO, is the Porsche Taycan.

I was looking at the possibility of an ID.4 or a Mustang Mach-e, but I didn't have the luxury of waiting (like you do), so Tesla Y was what I went with and I'm happy with it. But if I was looking for an EV now instead of last February, I would also be looking at those two. (I've had my Model Y only 3 months, but no problems so far!).

Reactions: WhiteWi
Being on Maui, I would think that local support would be an important consideration. Even Tesla has certain service items that would require them shipping your car back to Honolulu to repair. After warranty expiration, that cost would probably be on you. Are there any dealers on Maui that sell and service EVs on-island?

Reactions: sleepydoc
One thing that makes the Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 something to look at, they have V2L and will possibly have V2G available down the line with software updates, making them enviable models during the occasional power outages. Nissan Ariya is something you might want to keep an eye on as well.

The big caveat, besides the unknown pricing, is I doubt you'd be able to get any of these models before a Tesla.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Ford Mach-E without disclosing the long list of its current issues, including two recent recalls for the roof and windshield. There is also a known issue with cars bricking themselves. Check out the forum below.

Until the KIA EV6 hits the street, I would be hesitant about recommending it, but it would be my non-Tesla purchase.

Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB, SSM​

Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB, SSM

Canadian Recalls
Recall Details

Recall Details

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and house9
I personally wouldn't recommend the Ford Mach-E without disclosing the long list of its current issues, including two recent recalls for the roof and windshield. There is also a known issue with cars bricking themselves. Check out the forum below.

Until the KIA EV6 hits the street, I would be hesitant about recommending it, but it would be my non-Tesla purchase.

Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB, SSM​

Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB, SSM

Canadian Recalls
Recall Details

Recall Details
Ford doesn't exactly have a strong history when it comes to electronics and interfaces. On paper the Mach E looks worthy of consideration but it's Ford's first electric car, they have minimal experience in hybrids prior to this, they have a middling quality and reliability history and it's a brand new model. All of those would give me significant pause before buying one. Although more expensive in the long run, a lease is a good way to get into a car without the long term responsibility if you are concerned.

For the OP, a Tesla forum isn't the best place to ask about non-Tesla cars but I would echo what others have posted- Range really isn't an issue unless you're circumnavigating the island on a regular basis. I would go more on availability and availability of service. Every make has good and bad dealers - Tesla included, so that may overshadow other considerations.

It looks like you have dealers for Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, Mazda and BMW. Based on that I'd say the Leaf or the ioniq.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
I'm in a similar situation, been exploring other evs but I keep coming back to tesla because other evs aren't as good. The problem I run into is that the cheaper evs aren't enticing enough to get me interested. I'd just rather not have a vehicle than drive a car that isn't fun to drive or have incredible features. Then as you go up in price and get into the 50s-60s with the more expensive manufacturers that are enticing you are in m3p comparison zone and none of them can compare to an m3p. Cars like the polestar and the jaguar ipace have the looks and interior but the m3p smokes them on the road so why not have that also for comparable price?

The one car that almost got me off the couch for a test drive is the mini Cooper ev. Its a nice looking car (if you like mini coops) and the tech and interior is pretty nice. They cost around 40k and have the $7500 incentive offer. I'd probably go for that if I wanted a car for the next year or less considering you'll probably be able to sell or trade in without taking a loss. Maybe go up couple thousand.

The one car that almost got me off the couch for a test drive is the mini Cooper ev. Its a nice looking car (if you like mini coops) and the tech and interior is pretty nice. They cost around 40k and have the $7500 incentive offer. I'd probably go for that if I wanted a car for the next year or less considering you'll probably be able to sell or trade in without taking a loss. Maybe go up couple thousand.
The one with like 100 miles range? 100 miles range in the summer is like 60 miles in the winter if winter is cold. I had a Mini Cooper Turbo (ICE) back in 2011. While the car was amazing to drive and looks really cool, it was one of the most troublesome cars I have ever owned. My friend who worked in the auto repair shop told me that Mini Cooper owners were their best customers because things just kept breaking after the warranty. Maybe Mini Cooper EV would be better because all those things that breaks in my Mini Copper would not be in an EV.

The one with like 100 miles range? 100 miles range in the summer is like 60 miles in the winter if winter is cold. I had a Mini Cooper Turbo (ICE) back in 2011. While the car was amazing to drive and looks really cool, it was one of the most troublesome cars I have ever owned. My friend who worked in the auto repair shop told me that Mini Cooper owners were their best customers because things just kept breaking after the warranty. Maybe Mini Cooper EV would be better because all those things that breaks in my Mini Copper would not be in an EV.
Yep, that's the one. I've never owned a mini so I won't speak to reliability but what you said about it being fun to drive and looking good is consistent with what I've heard from other Mini owners. The fun factor, circular lcd, and 7500 incentive was enough to get me interested. And I just saw that you can get them at 30k so with the incentive, like 25k after taxes. The range is garbage like you mentioned but a $300 payment is nothing and you'll you'll likely get all of your money back or come out ahead if you trade within a year, that's not bad. I'd take it over the other evs in is price range.