Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations (or warnings) on non-contact front license plate holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$140 for a license plate frame??????

Good Lord, I thought I was paying a lot for my $50 license plate wrap.
yes that is similar to what I said when I saw some of those online rates. I took an even less expensive route. I went to home depot about bought 8 in long bolts with wing nuts and $8 total. It's been holding fine for 3 years. The I noticed something similar on eBay for $50 :rolleyes:

Ya, I’m hesitant with it sitting flush against the bumper... and I would be worried the magnets might shift back and forth just enough to start rubbing down the paint in that area.

I got ottosteer also.
It includes felt for you to cut into strips. remove the original tape backing and apply felt. Hard to imagine it scratching the bumper. However, I did one better (since I already had this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG8DS0/
VViViD 3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film
) for other parts of the car i want to protect and its easy to cut a small strip for the to place behind the plate and under the lip.

Wasn't the case for me almost a year ago.

I’ve read other posts like yours that nothing happened. But throw in frigid temps and or hit at certain angle/height...might be different story...which is why I said “potential” Don’t get me wrong I like the bandit and tony was great to work with when I had an issue with frozen/seized bolts. I just prefer the Ottostick.

Reactions: OutofPocket
I was wondering if the holder contacts and possibly rubs the bumper with design? Have you looked to see if this has happened? How long have you had it installed?

The felt backing is there to protect the bumper, but from what I can see it doesn't even touch the bumper with a couple of millimeters in clearance. My car has about 3k miles but I don't usually put the front plates on, only in sensitive areas like parking in downtown SF. The magnetic design enables me to put the plates on or take them off in a second. Very convenient.

The felt backing is there to protect the bumper, but from what I can see it doesn't even touch the bumper with a couple of millimeters in clearance. My car has about 3k miles but I don't usually put the front plates on, only in sensitive areas like parking in downtown SF. The magnetic design enables me to put the plates on or take them off in a second. Very convenient.

I’m still confused at how or where the magnetic part of it is... does it actually adhere to the bumper? Isn’t that fiberglass or something and nonferrous? Or do you adhere magnets to the front bumper... in which case wouldn’t that look pretty bad when the plate is off?

I would like to run without a front plate initially since I’ve seen a couple in my area like that and I’m not sure how sensitive the cops are for something like this, especially someone doing the speed limit and not blasting music and driving like a teenager, etc. However when going to Seattle or on the freeway I wouldn’t mind putting the plate on just since I would be going through a bunch of jurisdictions and possible speed traps where they’re looking at every car going by.

Also, anyone know what the ticket is for that in WA state? Is it just a couple hundred bucks? Or is it also points on your record or something that could be reported to insurance for non-compliance etc? I mean a couple hundred bucks is nothing to throw around, but if I know that’s all the punishment is then I might wait until I get nailed first before putting it on :p

(Though I still would want a product already bought and in the trunk or something for that situation)

• Funny
Reactions: UTMB
I’m still confused at how or where the magnetic part of it is... does it actually adhere to the bumper? Isn’t that fiberglass or something and nonferrous? Or do you adhere magnets to the front bumper... in which case wouldn’t that look pretty bad when the plate is off?

I would like to run without a front plate initially since I’ve seen a couple in my area like that and I’m not sure how sensitive the cops are for something like this, especially someone doing the speed limit and not blasting music and driving like a teenager, etc. However when going to Seattle or on the freeway I wouldn’t mind putting the plate on just since I would be going through a bunch of jurisdictions and possible speed traps where they’re looking at every car going by.

Also, anyone know what the ticket is for that in WA state? Is it just a couple hundred bucks? Or is it also points on your record or something that could be reported to insurance for non-compliance etc? I mean a couple hundred bucks is nothing to throw around, but if I know that’s all the punishment is then I might wait until I get nailed first before putting it on :p

(Though I still would want a product already bought and in the trunk or something for that situation)

Watch the video from the link I posted. The magnet is on the lower part of the bracket that is fastened to the grill below the bumper.

Here in California, we can now use the Wrap plate
So I’m not using my Bandit, it’s up for sale. Send me a PM if you want it.

23A5A620-88DC-441A-9DE5-70A5FC580DBE.jpeg

Here in California, we can now use the Wrap plate
So I’m not using my Bandit, it’s up for sale. Send me a PM if you want it.

View attachment 440387

There’s definitely some damage/deforming to the grill where the Bandit was installed. Did you ever get hit? If not that’s either from over tightening or the bandit flexing back from the wind while driving and eventually deforming the grill.

There’s definitely some damage/deforming to the grill where the Bandit was installed. Did you ever get hit? If not that’s either from over tightening or the bandit flexing back from the wind while driving and eventually deforming the grill.
No, just over tighten it, then I realized what happened and loosened it some. Got to be careful how much you tighten those 4 bolts.

Used it for two days then I got the front end wrapped and never put the Bandit back on, waited for the License wrap.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: N54TT
Don’t know if WA has this yet, but CA has a license plate wrap. Basically a big sticker that looks just like a license plate. I have it. Much better than a regular plate. Much cleaner look.

www.licenseplatewrap.com

I had ab interesting conversation with my local
city police, the one's that write the citations for
no front plate in metered parking in town.

seems they couldn't find any reference to the
pilot program the licenseplatewrap is quoting
as 'street legal?'

I have read all the statements and copies of the
vehicle code on licenseplatewrap, however the
4 officers I had coffee with stated they'd write the
citation for 'no front plate' as their vehicle code
references 'plate' as of today?

when I corresponded with licenseplatewrap, I
got the boiler plate answer that the program is
accepted by the DMV, as stated on web site.

the city clerk told my the violation may be reversed
with such paperwork, however the citation fees
would still be owed?

licenseplatewrap hasn't answered to this problem,
as rarely do vehicles get pulled over for 'no front
plate' and in my case I desire to not get sighted
for this while parked in metered areas?

it's not the $$$ thing, I have ordered a wrap,
it's the inconvenience of having to appear at
police station, and paying fees after showing
the pilot program paperwork, in addition to
calling attention, as police are not educated
today in that wraps/stickers are legal...

So far, I found the free Tesla 3M mounted plate holder to be more than okay. Why not just use that? And you get to install (in right/centered) as the SC doesn’t apply it. Be sure to apply before ceramic, wax, sealant or other coating.
I just had the PPF and Ceramic Coat applied. I was planning on putting on the license plate next week. What would be the problem with putting it on after the PPF and CC was applied?

• Love
Reactions: Wennfred
I've been happy with The Bandit on mine, although I would much rather run with no front plate. I would say about 4/5 Model 3s I see here on the West side run without a front plate. I've been ticketed for not running a front plate in the past (on other cars), and would prefer to avoid paying that again.