TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommendations (or warnings) on non-contact front license plate holder?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by acarney, Aug 9, 2019.

1. acarney

acarney Member

So in WA a front plate is “required”, can anyone recommend what the best non-contact plate holder is? Or warn me against crappy ones?

2. RayK

RayK Member

There should already be a couple of threads here that show alternatives to the sticky tape method used by the factory. I am one that bought The Bandit and have been happy with the results.

• Like x 1
  3. futbolista

futbolista Member

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  4. WolfHero

WolfHero Member

5. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I've been using Tony's new version of the Bandit with the solid stainless steel mounting tabs. I like it a lot better than the Slipstream bracket that I was previously using.

6. N54TT

N54TT Member

There are plenty of threads. I had the bandit...and am now running the OttoStick. I prefer the magnetic OttoStick.

• Like x 1
  7. ArcticStation

ArcticStation Supporting Member

I've had The Law from Evannex (Aftermarket Tesla accessories, gear, consoles, and parts) since October 2018. It's been fine. Just be careful to keep some extra distance from the car in front when parallel parking and don't bump up against those solid concrete walls in the parking garage. And follow the instruction manual--if you must use a car wash, make sure it's touchless. Interestingly, I bought it because it's easy to install and remove. My plan was to mount it when the annual inspection rolled around and then take it off for the rest of the year. But it's been so unobtrusive, I ended up leaving it on.

8. xdmanalo

xdmanalo Member

Took the budget route and just used PPF between the plate and paint. Can get a roll of the stuff on Amazon for pretty cheap.

9. jkdman123

jkdman123 Member

Don’t know if WA has this yet, but CA has a license plate wrap. Basically a big sticker that looks just like a license plate. I have it. Much better than a regular plate. Much cleaner look.

www.licenseplatewrap.com

10. acarney

acarney Member

Magnetic OttoStick... how does that work? What’s magnetic about it?

11. 299792458

299792458 Member

I'm extremely picky and research the heck out of stuff before I purchase, and would rather pay more for no regrets. Perfection in quality and packaging, and the easiest and most confident install with zero issues to date (a couple of months now), I can whole-heartedly recommend the "ThatGrin Slipstream" bracket. I bought it via Amazon. 'nuff said.

12. futbolista

futbolista Member

Check the link I posted above.

13. acarney

acarney Member

Ya, I’m hesitant with it sitting flush against the bumper... and I would be worried the magnets might shift back and forth just enough to start rubbing down the paint in that area.

14. jkdman123

jkdman123 Member

$140 for a license plate frame??????

Good Lord, I thought I was paying a lot for my $50 license plate wrap.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. MexiCanuck

MexiCanuck Member

16. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

So far, I found the free Tesla 3M mounted plate holder to be more than okay. Why not just use that? And you get to install (in right/centered) as the SC doesn’t apply it. Be sure to apply before ceramic, wax, sealant or other coating.

• Like x 1
  17. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Easily distracted

I’m holding onto my paper tag til the last day just to avoid having to install the front plate. Front plates make me sad. Getting PPF installed tomorrow. Yay.

18. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

19. N54TT

N54TT Member

I’ve had mine on for a couple thousand miles already...including a 1800 and 400 mile road trip this past summer. I’m a diy detailer, meticulous about my paint and haven’t noticed anything. But I also have full front PPF and rockers..which I highly suggest. You put felt on the back of the plate to help protect the bumper. Mine doesn’t even contact the bumper though. I pull it off every wash to clean behind it...which is where the magnets make it supper convenient to do. It’s close enough to the bumper that it looks flush and if someone were to hit you’re front bumper....the bumper helps absorb the impact. With the Bandit the front grill takes all the impact...potential causing damage to the grill.

20. MexiCanuck

MexiCanuck Member

I think that varies by jurisdiction. I know when I took delivery every car had the front plate holder already installed.