Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Equalizer Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped tinkering after I found these settings from a post on Facebook... and it's been set like this for over a year since then, with my car being the most utterly fantastic sound system I've ever owned. (2018 3 LR/RWD before the SR was even a thing, so premium audio)

upload_2020-9-18_22-7-59.png

55786312_10158491262299012_8822973156634394624_o.jpg

55910175_10158491262484012_7183900979488620544_o.jpg

55575823_10158491262564012_4611342013021814784_o.jpg

lol. So I was pinged by someone in PM asking for my settings 🤔 I'm like... wait, I posted about this, have to dig that up, can you link to the post? It was this thread. 😂

Unfortunately it seems that the Tesla Owners Worldwide group on FB disappeared, so the post is gone too. I also found that, though I used "copy image" and Ctrl+V into my post, that took the URL of the Facebook photo with it instead of copying and pasting the bitmap data, as I would expect / typically observe it doing. So, that post is now gone, and for some reason I can't edit it above anymore.

So, here is my copy of the settings above, now in 2021. This time, copied from Google Photos, pasted into MSPaint, then copied again, so it strips unwanted metadata.

1619733582452.png

1619733689411.png

1619733705761.png

Now make Tesla fix USB media album art already. It's been, what, a whole year it's been broken now? Many new owners don't even know USB media album art used to work! lol. Relevant: USB Music - cover art

lol. So I was pinged by someone in PM asking for my settings 🤔 I'm like... wait, I posted about this, have to dig that up, can you link to the post? It was this thread. 😂

Unfortunately it seems that the Tesla Owners Worldwide group on FB disappeared, so the post is gone too. I also found that, though I used "copy image" and Ctrl+V into my post, that took the URL of the Facebook photo with it instead of copying and pasting the bitmap data, as I would expect / typically observe it doing. So, that post is now gone, and for some reason I can't edit it above anymore.

So, here is my copy of the settings above, now in 2021. This time, copied from Google Photos, pasted into MSPaint, then copied again, so it strips unwanted metadata.

View attachment 658163

View attachment 658164
View attachment 658165

Now make Tesla fix USB media album art already. It's been, what, a whole year it's been broken now? Many new owners don't even know USB media album art used to work! lol. Relevant: USB Music - cover art

bit surprised at the 1.5db boost between mid and treble. I find the sound actually kind of harsh at those frequencies and take -1.5db out. I actually have it on -2.5 to -3db sometimes when I drive over 10h as the harshness can cause a bit ear fatigue.

SInce November. Since version 2020.44.10.1. 13 updates ago for me.
Wow, feels like so much longer! Late October, early November, it looks like: 2020.44 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates - it was broken with the Spotify UI & media sources refresh. So yeah, not a year, but almost exactly half a year now :)

bit surprised at the 1.5db boost between mid and treble. I find the sound actually kind of harsh at those frequencies and take -1.5db out. I actually have it on -2.5 to -3db sometimes when I drive over 10h as the harshness can cause a bit ear fatigue.
Ears, like tongues, are all different I suppose... I don't find anything particularly "harsh" myself. Had these settings (often at relatively loud volume) for at least a year now (but if my last "a year" is anything to go on, I doubt my memory. hahaha).

I think the question still applies. The system isn't perfect so we should use the eq to adjust for its deficiencies. Has anyone used a wave generator and record to see what needs adjusting for example? I thought of doing something like that and never did. Hoping someone has and can help.
Once that is done, yes you can further adjust to your tastes. That is left to the user :)
I played a FLAC file of pink noise from a USB drive in my Model Y. I put a DBX omni-directional reference microphone between the front seats at ear level. The mic went into a laptop running the Vertex MultiInspector spectrum analyzer plugiin to Cubase software. All speakers were active. With EQ sliders in the car set to zero, there were "loud spots" in mid-bass (around 100Hz) and low treble 6MHz. A lot of people would be happy with that. I used my system to get the most even frequency response across the entire audio spectrum (I listen to everything from classical to prog rock) and set the result so the highest setting on the car EQ was "zero" (boosts drain power amps). Flattest response settings from bass to treble: -4.5, -1.5, -1.0, 0.0, -0.5. After listening for awhile, I boosted the lowest bass setting to -4.0 (bass seems to get lost while driving).

I played a FLAC file of pink noise from a USB drive in my Model Y. I put a DBX omni-directional reference microphone between the front seats at ear level. The mic went into a laptop running the Vertex MultiInspector spectrum analyzer plugiin to Cubase software. All speakers were active. With EQ sliders in the car set to zero, there were "loud spots" in mid-bass (around 100Hz) and low treble 6MHz. A lot of people would be happy with that. I used my system to get the most even frequency response across the entire audio spectrum (I listen to everything from classical to prog rock) and set the result so the highest setting on the car EQ was "zero" (boosts drain power amps). Flattest response settings from bass to treble: -4.5, -1.5, -1.0, 0.0, -0.5. After listening for awhile, I boosted the lowest bass setting to -4.0 (bass seems to get lost while driving).

i find that when the car is parked, even at low volumes the bass is so powerful a 0 setting sounds completely fine. but when i drive i want the bass at +5db. easily.
For non-electronic perhaps +2 or 3.

That sounds pretty close to what I'm doing. Although your settings are for a model Y, and I'm sure the larger space makes a difference. If you get a chance, try the same thing in a friends model 3 if you can, and post your findings!
Yes, my settings ARE pretty close to yours (as one would expect). There is a Model 3 in my neighborhood; I don't know the owner, but he/she will likely want to talk about their car with another Tesla owner, and would welcome a free tuning of their sound system. So, might could happen that I'd test sound in the smaller cabin of the 3...

i find that when the car is parked, even at low volumes the bass is so powerful a 0 setting sounds completely fine. but when i drive i want the bass at +5db. easily.
For non-electronic perhaps +2 or 3.
As you say, the bass is overwhelming while parked. I'm likely going to increase my lowest setting by a unit or so...I esp. like my classical music to sound natural and vocal lyrics to be understandable...that lowest setting can make the whole spectrum sound "muddy," so I'm not going to crank it like that.

I find myself changing the EQ settings depending on whether I am listening to a podcast or listening to different genres of music. Even the same artist, album to album, will have different mastering and require different settings for the best sound. Possibly a deep reference, but there is a certain Metallica album that requires the bass settings to be maxed out :D