Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended jack, for home garage or trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really?? That would be nice, but I'd expect only that the suspension would just sit on the ground, and you'd have to jack the susp up to change a tire. Is there an onboard air compressor in the ModelS just for this purpose, UniMog style??
--

Well, it's not like anyone has tried it yet, but if the suspension can be raised and lowered from the touch screen, the high point should allow the jack stand to be placed at the jacking point and then lowering the suspension should raise two wheels off the ground (not much, maybe 50-75 mm, but that should be enough). DS-21 style.

Well, it's not like anyone has tried it yet, but if the suspension can be raised and lowered from the touch screen, the high point should allow the jack stand to be placed at the jacking point and then lowering the suspension should raise two wheels off the ground (not much, maybe 50-75 mm, but that should be enough). DS-21 style.

The suspension is normally under compression, as are the tires. Surely that is not enough distance to lift the rubber clear of the ground.

So, you think that when driving the wheels have no downwards travel?
Every car I've jacked up has to be jacked up until the travel limit stop is reached before the tire starts to lift off the ground.

> Jerry33: Well, it's not like anyone has tried it yet,

Well, all those Sig owners should be out there rockclimbing, autocrossing on soaked pavements, doing econo-trecks across the diaspora- all those things you & I would certainly be doing if we had our S'es. Finding cheap spare rims for snow tires, stuffing the interior with x number of cheerleaders, the list goes on & on. I suspect they only go to their broker's & the country club.
--

So, you think that when driving the wheels have no downwards travel?
Every car I've jacked up has to be jacked up until the travel limit stop is reached before the tire starts to lift off the ground.

Certainly they have downwards travel, if they didn't you couldn't raise and lower the suspension. If you raise the suspension to the highest point, put the jack stand under the car, then lower the suspension it should lift the wheels (until someone tries, how much is not known), then on the side (or end) that doesn't have the jack stand, the wheels will lower lifting the body on the jack stand side (end) higher.

Attaching some visuals of my aluminum low profile home jack in use. I'm now in process of swapping the brake pads and having the rotors resurfaced. Its always good practice to place a rubber or equivalent buffer between the flat jacking pod and the roadster's skid plate and undercarriage. I used a doubled up piece of cardboard. Also note to jack the Roadster only under the blue and clearly marked jacking points.

Attachments

• 20120901_111149.jpg
    20120901_111149.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 787
  • 20120901_111212.jpg
    20120901_111212.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 510
  • 20120901_114154.jpg
    20120901_114154.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 612
Last edited:
>You cracked the concrete pavement

LOL, good observation! That crack is actually from the 1989 earthquake that was around Santa Cruz. Its my neighbor's house for that my driveway was full, yellow is not my color for the outside at all... Had my truck occupying my driveway space during a full blown driveline repair. My driveway has the same cracks as well.

I don't think you want to use jack stands. I don't think it would be safe for the car. The recommended jack points are small and don't have a ridge for the stands to align against.

If you lift it from the rear jack point both wheels on that side lift off the ground. Just lift it, work on that side, then lower it and lift the other side.