Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended PPF installer in So Cal? (West side)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, here is the XPEL template for the Model 3 that shows that there would be 2 seams below the fog lights:
P8203.gif

Is the assumption that if an installer is "better" then they won't use this template and they'll figure out a way to have NO seams? Wouldn't that potentially over-stretch the PPF? I would speculate that any seam at all could eventually lift and start to get dirty over time? I'm NOT an expert, just trying to learn what I "need" vs "want".

If you're talking about Calibred Customs and dashcam install, check out the MTG dashcam thread.

Nope. I was referring to the PPF installed. I have heard that calibred does a great job. I haven't committed to a dashcam yet, but I am intrigued. Do you think it is necessary to hire this out or can one easily remove the necessary components of the car to do this themselves? If I were to do it I would likely use a powervue battery to avoid potential issues with the car battery.

By the way, here is the XPEL template for the Model 3 that shows that there would be 2 seams below the fog lights:
View attachment 296417

Is the assumption that if an installer is "better" then they won't use this template and they'll figure out a way to have NO seams? Wouldn't that potentially over-stretch the PPF? I would speculate that any seam at all could eventually lift and start to get dirty over time? I'm NOT an expert, just trying to learn what I "need" vs "want".
Taking a look at photos of the TM3 it appears that this seam would likely not be visible unless you are looking for it. That said I assume they did it this way to avoid wasted material. If they made this one piece there would be a gap for the vents.

View attachment 296417

Pre-cut kits in general are made in multiple pieces so that it is easier for the installer to install. The downside of this is that the customer is left with multiple seams that can collect dirt and be unsightly. Custom installation is something only the top installation companies are able to do because it takes many years to master and become proficient at. Needless to say, when searching for PPF options, it is more important to find a company that is truely experienced in this field. Many companies tout a certain amount of experience, but in reality, are beginners in the PPF industry, but have been in the "Automotive" industry for X amount of years. Below is a vid that explains the difference between our custom installation vs. Pre-cut kits for the Model 3. It really comes down to how picky you are about your car. Some people are perfectly fine with Pre-cut kits while others who are more picky about the aesthetics of their car can't acceopt it.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
When I made my choice I first decided on the brand of film I wanted, personally I decided on the 3M Scotch Guard Pro paint protective film wrap. There are only a few recommended installers listed on 3M Website in the area, I took mine directly to Elevated Auto Concepts as they were a recommended installer and had the best shop. While my car was there I also got 3M Tint on all windows and sunroof, had a chrome delete done and powder-coated my wheels all at one place. They stand behind there work so I highly recommend them, one of my friends Teslas is there right now getting the paint protective film as well.
I would suggest speaking to Michael the owner, there number is (626)793-7141 address is 621 Walnut St Pasadena CA 91101

Pretty sure Concours uses Suntek. At least that’s what they told me when I called a week or so back to get a quote. Quotes were pretty much in line with the group pricing mentioned earlier in the thread, just 50 bucks more expensive for the PPF. They also told me they wrap the center console for 150 bucks with carbon fiber style wrap.

So, the more a try to learn, the more confused I get :) I've at least figured out where the seem appears to be. Looking at the XPEL template above and listening to everyone it looks like it would be here (see red line below).....Now, the $1M question, is whether this is a big deal!? Is it likely that this seam will lift and get dirty over time? If an installer uses a template that creates this seem and if it starts to get dirty and lift over time, would they re-do it for you?
2018-04-24_14-43-23.png

When I made my choice I first decided on the brand of film I wanted, personally I decided on the 3M Scotch Guard Pro paint protective film wrap. There are only a few recommended installers listed on 3M Website in the area, I took mine directly to Elevated Auto Concepts as they were a recommended installer and had the best shop. While my car was there I also got 3M Tint on all windows and sunroof, had a chrome delete done and powder-coated my wheels all at one place. They stand behind there work so I highly recommend them, one of my friends Teslas is there right now getting the paint protective film as well.
I would suggest speaking to Michael the owner, there number is (626)793-7141 address is 621 Walnut St Pasadena CA 91101
These guys are 2 miles from my work, how was the price on the tint?

Based on what I saw at the Concours shop when i visited, they pretty much didnt use the templates and did a custom wrap and cut to size and edges wrapped, hope that answers your question regarding this.

The template that everyone speaks about isnt always the best and Concours has done enough of these on the M3 to know to go custom.

I'm happy to see the interest on this "group buy"...maybe we can get to 20x? Hopefully we can get a few details nailed down. I think in summary here's the missing details:
  • Does PPF template produce seams? If so where?
  • Which PPF is being used?
  • Is any paint correction being done before PPF if no Modesta?
  • Which Modesta coating is being used?
  • Confirm website statement that all edges are wrapped
  • Adder prices: Chrome delete, matte/glossy PPF on center console

- PPF is custom on the M3, and edges are wrapped.
- PPF brand is Suntek (his preferred)
- Paint correction is only included with Modesta.
- Modesta coating will vary from color to color.
- $580 for Chrome delete (labor intensive from I saw)
- $150 for Center console Dash Wrap

Here are the numbers...Doug mentioned that he would like to get 20x prebooked but i told him that this is a luxury item and quite expensive but Ill try...

PPF:

Option 1: $1,300
Full Fronts include Front Fenders, Bumper, Hood, Lights, Mirrors

Add On
$350 Rocker Panels
$40 for Luggage Strip

Tint: Full Suntek CIR(Ceramic) $580
Includes: Windshield, All Side Windows and Rear Window

Modesta Coating: $1495
Includes Single Step Paint Correction

Instead of Modesta, there is a 1 year Sealer Option: $450
Not Scratch resistant but will protect your paint.

Contact info:
Doug @ Concours, 340 Van Ness Ave e, Torrance, CA 90501
424-488-2073
Concours Auto Spa - Torrance - Torrance, CA

Please mention Tesla Motor Club to get the discount, if we get 20x bookings, Doug mention that he will give an discount for further bookings and a rebate to the clients that have had their car protected at Concours.

Thanks for that. I am def interested in the tint!

Based on what I saw at the Concours shop when i visited, they pretty much didnt use the templates and did a custom wrap and cut to size and edges wrapped, hope that answers your question regarding this.

The template that everyone speaks about isnt always the best and Concours has done enough of these on the M3 to know to go custom.
I am definitely interested. Picking up my car tomorrow afternoon.

Quick question: I’ve never had any windows tinted before. Has anyone had any issues with law enforcement after getting their windows tinted, or is the tint as hard to see as Concours told me?

Nobody would know my windshield is tinted (Photosync 75). It’s essentially clear.

I chose Photosync 35 for the sides and rear. Probably not legal and some do choose Photosync 45 which is a tad lighter. However, I have zero issues at night.

I wanted the best heat rejection and glare protection I could afford, while still being able to see well at night.

For me, that was 35/75.

Is it possible that I’ll get a ticket someday for tint being a tad too dark? Sure. Along with a ticket for having the temerity to attach things to my windshield (dashcam, radar detector, parking permit), and a ticket for refusing to put those miserable carpool lane stickers on the car rather than in repose in my glovebox (up to $491 inland, before fees). And there might be some reflective spray that accidentally got onto my plates, so let’s add a ticket for that.

And to trigger all of *those* secondary infractions, there would have to be a ticket or at least a reason for something else, the most likely of which would be speeding, albeit 99% of the time at less than 10mph over the limit.

Again, unlikely, but it could happen. And when it does, those tickets in total could approach $2,000 depending upon the jurisdiction.

So in brief, too late I know, I don’t lose sleep over the tint.

Yer mileage may vary.

• Helpful
Reactions: mhan00
Pre-cut kits in general are made in multiple pieces so that it is easier for the installer to install. The downside of this is that the customer is left with multiple seams that can collect dirt and be unsightly. Custom installation is something only the top installation companies are able to do because it takes many years to master and become proficient at. Needless to say, when searching for PPF options, it is more important to find a company that is truely experienced in this field. Many companies tout a certain amount of experience, but in reality, are beginners in the PPF industry, but have been in the "Automotive" industry for X amount of years. Below is a vid that explains the difference between our custom installation vs. Pre-cut kits for the Model 3. It really comes down to how picky you are about your car. Some people are perfectly fine with Pre-cut kits while others who are more picky about the aesthetics of their car can't acceopt it.

That’s a good looking model 3. Nice wrap job.

Here are the numbers...Doug mentioned that he would like to get 20x prebooked but i told him that this is a luxury item and quite expensive but Ill try...

PPF:

Option 1: $1,300
Full Fronts include Front Fenders, Bumper, Hood, Lights, Mirrors

Add On
$350 Rocker Panels
$40 for Luggage Strip

Tint: Full Suntek CIR(Ceramic) $580
Includes: Windshield, All Side Windows and Rear Window

Modesta Coating: $1495
Includes Single Step Paint Correction

Instead of Modesta, there is a 1 year Sealer Option: $450
Not Scratch resistant but will protect your paint.

Contact info:
Doug @ Concours, 340 Van Ness Ave e, Torrance, CA 90501
424-488-2073
Concours Auto Spa - Torrance - Torrance, CA

Please mention Tesla Motor Club to get the discount, if we get 20x bookings, Doug mention that he will give an discount for further bookings and a rebate to the clients that have had their car protected at Concours.
Anyone know why the rocker panels are so much? It seems like they are pretty straight forward without pockets, grills and curvature (unlike the grill and bumper), yet it's more than a 25% upper. Just seems odd.