Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended USB drive for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I recently bought a USB drive for my Model 3 and it's not working.

This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Duo-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SE1D2QVT6X1RXWKHN1K7

I did reformat it the FAT32 and created the TeslaCam folder. Unfortunately, when I plug it into the car, I never see the dashcam icon. I am plugging it directly into the USB port and I did try all of them, even the back ones, which I'm sure wouldn't work. Does anyone know if the issue may be with the flash drive itself? I'm going to try another one to see if that's the case but I wanted to check here first.

Thanks in advance!

Question for iPhone (ver. 13) users. Would the Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card work? Is there a lightening adapter for it? Does it require external power? Can it be powered via the car's USB port?

Not sure why you need to ask iPhone users... but yes, the High Endurance MicroSD card works. (I've been using it with no issues)

You need a USB adapter to use it in the car, but it can be read on an iPhone with a lightning adapter. This can work for both.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D72L4Q7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
is there any particular reason why yall are still high capacity USBs like 128 or 256gig? Its only using like 2 gig right? plus sentry might save 300MB recordings or so? help me to understand why people are choosing high capacities. Thanks

If you look at the file sizes, each camera (and there are 4 if you are on V10) use up about 30MB for each 1 minute of recording. This adds up very quickly, especially in Sentry mode depending on where you park. Anybody walking by closely to any part of the car will trigger the recordings. In one week, you can certainly get more than 32GB if you look at all the files recorded. And the last thing you want is to run out of space and miss some recording of somebody or something doing damage to your car.

is there any particular reason why yall are still high capacity USBs like 128 or 256gig? Its only using like 2 gig right?

Wrong.

It's almost 8 gigs just for the 1 hour buffer

30 mb per minute per camera. 4 cameras. 60 minutes in the buffer= ~7.2 gigs.

plus another 1.2 gigs for each 10 minute sentry alert.

On top of that the larger the drive the more write cycles of that 7.2 gig buffer you get before the drive dies.

A cheap 16 GB drive (the BARE minimum to save even one sentry alert) would die in under a year at that rate.

A 128-256GB one, even with cheap flash, should be good for many years.

Some thing like this with wireless connectivity could be interesting, since you could offload the video without ever removing the drive from the car.

https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Wi...SDWS2-016G-E57/dp/B00DBX37H6?sa-no-redirect=1
Amazon had a sale on the 64GB model of this and I hated it. It created default folders and the connectivity was spotty. It was years ago but I wasn't a fan. I ended up trashing it, Can't say how it would work in the Tesla but just over all I wasn't happy with the SanDisk.

• Informative
Wrong.

On top of that the larger the drive the more write cycles of that 7.2 gig buffer you get before the drive dies.

A cheap 16 GB drive (the BARE minimum to save even one sentry alert) would die in under a year at that rate.

Also, 128-256GB USB drives or microSD cards aren't that expensive as they used to be few years ago. You can get SanDisk 256GB Endurance microSD and SanDisk MobileMate microSD USB adapter for $65 on Amazon.

• Informative
Anyone using this with the TeslaCam?

I have it in both of our 3s before the V10 update and they worked flawlessly. Now I get an error saying not a fast enough write speed and i get the camera with the gray x after about 5 minutes.

Anyone else?

Very annoying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EZ0X55C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not using that ssd but I'm getting similar results with a Samsung 256 gb usb stick. I never had any issue with it prior to V10. I always get the error message that the drive is too slow after sentry events have occurred. If I reboot or simply remove and reinsert the USB stick, dash cam works just fine.

Wrong.

At first i thought you couldn't do the math right, then I realized you were inconsistent with your terms. 30 mb is 30 millibits, I thought you were saying MegaBits. You were trying to say MegaBytes or MB. You got it right with the flash drive size so you had me stumped for a bit.

I've ordered a 128 GB off Alaibaba for about $10. Don't know if it will work with the car or not, I think they claim 6 MB/s writing rate, but that depends on the block size. I did a test on the device that used to work in my car and is now failing and it was well above 4 MB/s in all but the smallest block size or two. What is Tesla actually requiring, block size, other conditions...?

I'm looking at buying this one for the car. I want a smaller drive because they can be bumped and the longer drive protruding is more likely to damage the USB socket. The drives are cheap, but you don't want to pay Tesla to replace your sockets when they are broken.

Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive | SanDisk

They don't give you a number, not that it would matter. They say the write speed is "up to" 15x the speed of USB 2.0 drives which they seem to be saying is 4.0 MB/s. It's worth a try. Around $37 minimum for the 256GB drive.

• Informative