Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended USB drive for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article gives some pretty specific recommendations on minimum write speeds for USB drives for the Dashcam. Can anyone either confirm or refute its recommendations?

USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam | TeslaTap

They give no specific rationale for their 40MB/s threshold; it is a naked assertion. Later, in their longevity section, they say "The Tesla dashcam stores about 2 GB of data in an hour" -- which is about 0.5MB/s, which is about what I calculate when it was one camera, not three.

My rationale was posted earlier:
Everyone fretting about resolution is over-complicating matters. A 5000x5000 pixel image can be stored in less than 200 bytes in some circumstances.

Work the problem that's in front of us: real life TeslaCam files with real image info shoved through real Tesla-chosen compression algorithms are about 30MB/minute, which is about 512KB/s. Three at a time is 1.5MB/s. File seek overhead, header rewrite, etc., should be negligible, but let's be pessimistic and call it 30%, which gives us a convenient 2MB/s.

The worst dimestore USB 2.0 flashdrives typically deliver triple that; ten times that is typical.

Their generalizations about drive quality are somewhat reasonable, though I don't know where they got the idea that USB sticks and SD cards don't do wear leveling -- maybe in 1973 they didn't. It is worth noting that "high endurance" cards are a thing, for example microSD High Endurance Video Monitoring Card | SanDisk, which are specifically noted as intended for video surveillance systems.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that "high endurance" cards are a thing, for example microSD High Endurance Video Monitoring Card | SanDisk, which are specifically noted as intended for video surveillance systems.
Just keep an eye on the price. These "endurance" cards are significantly more expensive than normal ones and may be overkill for many people. For example, Samsung claims that their 128GB endurance cards last up to 43800 hours of video recording at ~3.25MB/s. If you assume that your car is either driving or in Sentry mode for 8 hours every day, that would last about 15 years. ;) A good quality cheaper card will probably be enough for most people ...

BTW, if you're looking for a solid MicroSD reader for the car, I love these:

Kingston MobileLite Duo 3C

Solid metal construction and very compact, so it isn't prone to losing contact if you rummage around in the front compartment or drive over a bump. If you have a phone or laptop with USB-C, it comes in handy for that too.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually tested a variety of flash or ssd cards and been able to demonstrate that they either do or don’t make a difference? I’m finding a lot of opinions in this thread and having a hard time making any sense out of it. I’m definitely experiencing a lot of pixelation and green blotches with my USB 2 64GB drive but I’m reluctant to go out and spend money on something faster or better until someone can confirm they have done so and achieved better results.

Has anyone actually tested a variety of flash or ssd cards and been able to demonstrate that they either do or don’t make a difference? .

Nope.

Even with 3 cameras it's not writing nearly fast enough for write speed to be a concern on even the cheapest USB keys for sale- and we've seen everything from those, all the way up to straight up SSDs, that report issues.

It's not the hardware- it's the software.

Just keep an eye on the price. These "endurance" cards are significantly more expensive than normal ones and may be overkill for many people. For example, Samsung claims that their 128GB endurance cards last up to 43800 hours of video recording at ~3.25MB/s. If you assume that your car is either driving or in Sentry mode for 8 hours every day, that would last about 15 years. ;) A good quality cheaper card will probably be enough for most people ...

BTW, if you're looking for a solid MicroSD reader for the car, I love these:

Kingston MobileLite Duo 3C

Solid metal construction and very compact, so it isn't prone to losing contact if you rummage around in the front compartment or drive over a bump. If you have a phone or laptop with USB-C, it comes in handy for that too.

I bought two of these UGreen card readers (UBS-A/UBS-C) and am using them now. Nice form factor and features, also metal and with a lanyard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1J88CF

Plan to have one as a backup for when I take out the drive. No need then to even remove the microSD card.

I pulled my flash drive out to analyze the data I've collected so far and can't make heads or tails of it. I have two folders: Recent Clips and Saved Clips.

Under recent clips all of the files are 595 bytes MPEG-4 Movie files that are unreadable.

Under saved clips I have subfolders for each day I've owned the car. I have used Sentry mode every day but the last recording it took was 5 days ago. All of the other subfolders have no files in them. I even have a subfolder dated "tomorrow at 12:55am". How can I have a file dated tomorrow? What does that even mean?

If it makes any difference, I pressed down on the dash cam icon for 2 seconds before ejecting the drive.

I pulled my flash drive out to analyze the data I've collected so far and can't make heads or tails of it. I have two folders: Recent Clips and Saved Clips.

Under recent clips all of the files are 595 bytes MPEG-4 Movie files that are unreadable.

Under saved clips I have subfolders for each day I've owned the car. I have used Sentry mode every day but the last recording it took was 5 days ago. All of the other subfolders have no files in them. I even have a subfolder dated "tomorrow at 12:55am". How can I have a file dated tomorrow? What does that even mean?

If it makes any difference, I pressed down on the dash cam icon for 2 seconds before ejecting the drive.

Something is wrong if the files are 595 bytes. Typical files are 1 minute of video, occupying 15 to 30 MB. Reformat and try again?

Re. the dates, all times are stored in UTC. If you are in zone -0700, then files recorded at 5:55PM in your local zone will be marked 0055 the "next" day in UTC.

Has anyone tried using a Samsung Pro Endurance MicroSD card for Dashcam/Sentry? Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endu...4HJ5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

They are specifically marketed for Dashcam use and claim to be extremely reliable even in extreme temperature conditions. There is one review from someone who claimed they could not get a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB for the TeslaCam but I’m not sure why it didn’t work.

Has anyone tried using a Samsung Pro Endurance MicroSD card for Dashcam/Sentry? Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endu...4HJ5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

They are specifically marketed for Dashcam use and claim to be extremely reliable even in extreme temperature conditions. There is one review from someone who claimed they could not get a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB for the TeslaCam but I’m not sure why it didn’t work.

It didn't work because the didn't try using anything but the built-in windows formatting tools- which are not capable of making a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB. Plenty of other tools can though.

I’m just not sure how well these basic USB flash drives will hold up to the temperature extremes inside the car. In the summer when the car is sitting outside the temps can easily reach 140 degrees. What temperature are these inexpensive drives rated to withstand?