Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also an FYI -

All -

If any of you were wondering why I had only 9 miles left at Milford, CT when I started supercharging.....

We had 6 cars to charge at Milford! I actually arrived with 28 miles. We set up 4 cars to charge (2 each on each side North/South of I95) and used the other 2 cars (one of which was mine) to go to dinner a few miles away. When we finished, we drove back and I got to charge my car. At that point, it was then at 9 miles remaining....

Actually got up to 200 rated in only 45 minutes!

Aaron

Ordinary people concentrate on exploiting range anxiety of electric vehicles as if they drive long distance every day. The Model S has amazing range for 99% of daily use. On top, I haven't read a single one comment on the NYT about the benefit of EV, especially the cost of gas. Instead of "range anxiety", you can see ICE owners have "gas price anxiety" every day all over the news and no body is paying attention to that. One reader comment concludes with "I laugh all the way to the gas station" He won't be laughing next time he stops at the gas station, as this is just one of the pieces of news that are poping up now on TV Gas prices at four-month high after 32 days of hikes at the pump - U.S. News. I also read comments of people claiming that super charger problem show that technology is not ready. They forget that many time, they line up at Costco to fuel up they can see that gas pumps are often out of service for one reason or another and cars are routed to working stations. Without rational, they all take the NYT article a validation for their mindset. Sad but true

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

You write that one of the cars consistently used slightly more energy than the rest. From the pictures it looks like one car had 21" wheels - while the rest had 19". Was this the one using more? (Just wondering if the 21" vs 19" has noticeable difference in energy consumption)

He's running 19's. And the tire pressures (at least before the trip) were OK. Meant to check along the way but forgot to.

Great job! I was following you (on twitter) every step of the way. :)

I was wondering, did you find out why teslaguy's MS was using more energy? Another question, were all the SuperChargers 90kW-capable even with 4 cars hooked up to them at the same time?

SC's are set up in pairs. Each pair of stations can pull up to 120kW total. So two empty cars plugging in at the same time will not both charge at 90kW. The one that plugs in first gets full power and the other gets the leftover. As the first car tapers off (which doesn't take long), the other car will ramp up.

No word that I know of about his increased usage. Tesla is aware and investigating.

The only footnote that I want to throw in here is that had anyone - let alone Broder - driven one of the recently minted 60 kWh cars, it would surely not have made the stretch between Wilmington, DE and Milford, CT using Tesla SC juice alone and would have had to supplement using some other charging sources.

Going forward, now that the true early adopters are being tapped out, I strongly suspect that the mix will lean more towards 60+SC rather than 85 for road-trip capable Model Ss. Given that, Tesla needs to have a Supercharger installation in New Jersey ASAP in order to avoid such controversies in the future in this high-traffic corridor.

Hey GG,

I'll have to disagree with you supposition but not your point. I led the group from Rockville to the Delaware charge stations. We were either stuck in traffic, or going a couple of miles over the speed limit (of 65) and passing a couple of cars and semis along the way but, not in the left lane barreling down the highway. Doing this, I was within 5% of rated range. While the trip would not be as fun, or comfortable, in a 60, I do think it is doable if someone wanted to make it happen. This very well could mean, sitting a safe distance behind a semi in the right lane, and letting him set the speed which usually is a couple below the speed limit, perhaps turning off the heat in the car for some if not all of the trip. I however would not suggest that anyone without good experience with the car plan to make that leg, and even with experience they should have a backup plan (in a 60).

That said, it's always been Tesla's plan to add more stations between the DE-CT chargers, it's just slow going with lots of red tape. (You know there is a store next to me that has been complete and ready to open for almost 3 months now that is still closed due to red tape...).

Peter

The only footnote that I want to throw in here is that had anyone - let alone Broder - driven one of the recently minted 60 kWh cars, it would surely not have made the stretch between Wilmington, DE and Milford, CT using Tesla SC juice alone and would have had to supplement using some other charging sources.

Going forward, now that the true early adopters are being tapped out, I strongly suspect that the mix will lean more towards 60+SC rather than 85 for road-trip capable Model Ss. Given that, Tesla needs to have a Supercharger installation in New Jersey ASAP in order to avoid such controversies in the future in this high-traffic corridor.

Hey GG,

That said, it's always been Tesla's plan to add more stations between the DE-CT chargers, it's just slow going with lots of red tape. (You know there is a store next to me that has been complete and ready to open for almost 3 months now that is still closed due to red tape...).

Peter

Pete, are you saying there's a store with superchargers waiting to open, or are they simply HPWC of the 90-100amp variety?

I would agree that unless you are prepared to stop for a non-supercharger charge along the way, it would not be advisable for anyone driving a 60kwh S to try the De to Milford run.
Especially during this cold weather and given the fact that NYC traffic is sooo unpredictable. However, I don't think it will be long at all before Tesla has another Supercharger stop in NJ, hopefully somewhere between Trenton and Newark. Newark area might make the most sense. That should then make the DC to Boston run a real piece of cake for anyone.
Let's all keep in mind that these two current supercharging locations are only the first of MANY that Tesla has pledged to create over the next few years.

Everyone should feel very comfortable with the current situation IMHO. Just apply a little common sense and you'll not find a more rewarding car to own.
Pinky promise!!
For me 'I'll give you my Model S when you pry it from my cold, dead hands'!!
:biggrin: