Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1, Seegem.

engadget's take:

Fleet of Tesla Model S owners set out to refute NYT report, coin slang for human error

It still amazes me how these reports are latching on to things that have little relevance to the overall success of the TeslaRoadTrip. This one slants the supercharger support experience (amazing, in my book) of one of the road trippers who had two software updates pushed to him in the field to resolve his supercharger issues, as if this is somehow a Bad Thing and a ding on Tesla. And it manages to imply that the whole effort was somehow less than a rousing success.

- - - Updated - - -

One correction--I left a comment, but it's awaiting moderation--the trip started at the Rockville SC, at least from the pictures and what I'd read...not the DC store...no?

Where did you get the idea the road trip started in Rockville, South Carolina? There is no Rockville Supercharger that I'm aware of. Oh, you mean the Rockville Service Center?

I'm not trying to be snarky: I believe you're right, but I hope your comment spelled it out to avoid the same confusion I just experienced.

NYT Editor Margarest Sullivan's article is up -- she is the one promised a review and tweeted "I'm on it" a few days back.

Problems With Precision and Judgment, but Not Integrity, in Tesla Test - NYTimes.com

Still reading through it .. much more balanced. Qutes NoVa Model S owner Roger Wilson.

Done reading it. Basically the gist is that Broder started out in good faith but yes he made mistakes and did not do everything he could to not run out of battery.

Is there a photo of navigation screen with directions to where exactly is charging station at Milford parking lot?

There is YouTube recording of voice navigation, but I need pics :)

There's a YouTube recording from one of the Model S' out the windshield when ENTERING that station, showing how utterly impossible the Superchargers are to find.
It literally too the S driver less than 10sec to locate it - they are RIGHT in your face on the right as you enter the plaza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvIvgKWxLA&feature=youtu.be

In the video, not only is it night time, like you-know-who drove in, but it is also snowing!

Superchargers located within mere seconds...
You-know-who (I REFUSE to give him more notoriety by-name) drove around for .6mi/5-7 minutes looking for the Superchargers that Elon intentionally hid in the brush and treeline, with a beta version of a Tesla cloaking device installed...
</Sarcasm>

NYT Editor Margarest Sullivan's article is up -- she is the one promised a review and tweeted "I'm on it" a few days back.

Problems With Precision and Judgment, but Not Integrity, in Tesla Test - NYTimes.com

Still reading through it .. much more balanced. Qutes NoVa Model S owner Roger Wilson.

Done reading it. Basically the gist is that Broder started out in good faith but yes he made mistakes and did not do everything he could to not run out of battery.

Yeah, my take is that she is trying for a soft landing here and that all this will now just fade away.
I personally don't care at this point. I think we have all shown what the Model S is really capable of if basic common sense is applied.
I loved the quote, "You need to be this high to enter this ride" analogy.

Margaret Sullivan has clearly spent a great deal of time and care evaluating Broder's story and the claims and counterclaims it has engendered. I think she's hoping not to have to spend the next several weeks of her life focusing on the same subject. She's casting oil upon the waters, throwing bones to both sides, trying to smooth ruffled feathers, [...insert your favorite aphorism here]. But her closing paragraph is about as inconclusive a conclusion as I can imagine:

"People will go on contesting these points – and insisting that they know what they prove — and that’s understandable. In the matter of the Tesla Model S and its now infamous test drive, there is still plenty to argue about and few conclusions that are unassailable."

She clearly wants this to go away without having to slap Broder on the wrists and without inciting a lawsuit. But I see no sign she's planning to retract the article.

I wasn't expecting much more - this is PRECISELY what I expected. Her riding the fence. After all, what was she going to do? Throw him under a bus? Naaa...

I'd argue with the imprecise, but it's pointless... We have videos from @TeslaRoadTrip showing the Superchargers: they enter the actual station @ :09, and after dodging a car, still manage to find them at :20 or so (Vid previously linked)
He never plugged it in that night
He didn't fully charge when told to.
Took off on a 61mi trip with 32mi of "fuel."

Imprecision and not integrity? yeah - I agree... because there was ZERO integrity involved.

I have trouble fathoming the situation... I mean, if Tesla Motors gave ME a $101K Tesla to fart around with for 2 days, man, I'd be taking pictures left and right! I'd be snapping the big screen and dash all the time, showing the ranges!

He didn't hardly any photos: 1 charging, and 1 on the flatbed if I recall correctly.
CNN? @PeterDrives took MANY photos, and we saw them... We got a few pics from @TeslaRoadTrip as well as telemetry..

I've been Volt-driving for a year, and still to this day, I periodically take photos of the dash and center-stack.

So, this reporter gets a $101K+ car to drive for 2 days and takes less than a handful of photos to document the journey?

How peculiar is that?

I'm OK with this being the last (official) word.

It's TERRIBLE! No mention of the fact that he DIDN'T drive slow and limp along, nor the fact that the cabin temperature WASNT cold nor even decreased, nor his driving around the SC station in circles. Completely useless and terrible

One correction--I left a comment, but it's awaiting moderation--the trip started at the Rockville SC, at least from the pictures and what I'd read...not the DC store...no?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I also meant to say, great blog post, and really cool road trip, folks! A groovy testament to what you can do with the car and how well it performs, even in adverse conditions (cold, snow, wind, negative publicity ;-) ).

Correction for you- We started at Rockville, MD, not SC. Rockville is a suburb of Washington DC. I'm the driver of the 60KwH car that went on the first leg.

- - - Updated - - -

Not just that, but it might foster a little gratitude amongst those EV Drivers that cannot use a SuperCharger. "Hey, you/'re putting in that expensive Supercharger network ONLY for teslas. How about throwing us a bone, and adding a couple of J's?"
It might also make it a lot easier for Tesla to get permission to install them. Just spitballing here....

Rob

Correction for you- We started at Rockville, MD, not SC. Rockville is a suburb of Washington DC. I'm the driver of the 60KwH car that went on the first leg.

- - - Updated - - -

Not just that, but it might foster a little gratitude amongst those EV Drivers that cannot use a SuperCharger. "Hey, you/'re putting in that expensive Supercharger network ONLY for teslas. How about throwing us a bone, and adding a couple of J's?"
It might also make it a lot easier for Tesla to get permission to install them. Just spitballing here....

Rob

If by J you mean J1772, I dunno if it's even worth it... Volt obviously doesn't NEED charging due to the gas engine, but it's onboard charger is limited to 3.3kWh...
leaf is limited to 6.6kWh, isn't it? And you guys Supercharging are doing 300-some-odd volts at 200A+ or so? I mean 85kWh in 60min is a ton of energy... 85kWh even at 440V is like 193A! (sorry - don't know the exact Tesla pack voltages...)

I'd hate to be the one taking an SC spot at 3.3 or 6.6kWh when a Tesla pulls in... :) It's good for what it is (Model S supercharging) but the others are too slow... Unless they offer a QC cable for the Leafs that have that, or CHADeMO.
At that point, you start chasing standards, and 6.6kWh isn't going to help much, except for an emergency. At that point, any old L2 can handle 6.6kWh, even my BLiNK at home (which are out in circulation) as well as others that are already out there.

Cheers!

Where did you get the idea the road trip started in Rockville, South Carolina? There is no Rockville Supercharger that I'm aware of. Oh, you mean the Rockville Service Center?

I'm not trying to be snarky: I believe you're right, but I hope your comment spelled it out to avoid the same confusion I just experienced.

I've seen lots of "SC" for "Service Center" but now that you mention it, it confused me the first time, too. I should've spelled it out: Rockville, MD, USA Tesla Service Center ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Margaret Sullivan said:
"People will go on contesting these points – and insisting that they know what they prove — and that’s understandable. In the matter of the Tesla Model S and its now infamous test drive, there is still plenty to argue about and few conclusions that are unassailable."

Hah! SharkonWheels listed quite a few conclusions that are unassailable, IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

SC = Service Center here. ;-) I live in Silver Spring, MD and picked up my car at the Rockville Service Center; don't worry, I know what I'm saying, just used what I thought was now a common abbreviation (seen it at TM's forums a lot, but maybe not here on TMC?).

I've seen lots of "SC" for "Service Center" but now that you mention it, it confused me the first time, too. I should've spelled it out: Rockville, MD, USA Tesla Service Center ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Hah! SharkonWheels listed quite a few conclusions that are unassailable, IMHO.

And I'm not even an owner, future owner, on waiting/reservation list... I just have some common sense.

I think.

:)

We are winning. I posted to Ms. Sullivan's response with the theme of Tesla is magnificent and have among the highest number of recommends.

The posts that scored even higher are themed Broder/NYT are dirtbags. The post with the highest number of recommends by far concluded:

"Misleading, lazy, defensive writing is not worthy of the NYT....and chalking that up to "we didn't know we could be fact-checked" is an even sadder defense to be offered up by an editor"