Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went thru an intersection today and the light turned red. I read that as long as the car is within the intersection when light turns red, you are technically fine. That made me think and brought me back to driving 101.

Where do your tires have to be when the light turns red to be ok? And legally, is it the front tire or the rear tires that have to be past the intersection line? Finally, is it the first line or the second line of the intersection that matters where your tires are?

I went thru an intersection today and the light turned red. I read that as long as the car is within the intersection when light turns red, you are technically fine. That made me think and brought me back to driving 101.

Where do your tires have to be when the light turns red to be ok? And legally, is it the front tire or the rear tires that have to be past the intersection line? Finally, is it the first line or the second line of the intersection that matters where your tires are?

Running a red light is when the front of your car crosses the stop line, cross walk or prolongation line of the cross street, whichever you reach first, after the light turns red.

• Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
It can vary in different jurisdictions. If you enter the intersection when the light is read, than you definitely blew the light.
I doubt if the law references tires, it's probably the vehicle.
No it cannot vary in different jurisdictions. We have uniform traffic laws in the USA to prevent needless accidents. That's why stop signs are red octagons with white lettering everywhere, railroad crossbucks look the way they do, etc., so you can identify the regulatory sign or warning at a glance. It doesn't matter whether you are in Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon.

Every state has to follow the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) to receive federal highway money. The MUTCD defines intersections and markings and red lights. Entering the intersection is crossing the stop line, crosswalk, or prolongation line of the cross street, whichever approaching traffic reaches first.